Okay, just bought my first "true" amp. Looking for some guidance...
Apr 13, 2009 at 4:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

mattcube64

New Head-Fier
Hey guys!

I've lurked here for a while, but lately have "caught the bug" and have begun spending money I probably shouldn't.
tongue.gif

Anyway, I've had a Fiio E3 for a while, which I paired with my Shure SCL3s, using a crappy little mini-mini I bought from Radioshack.

Well, since my E3 broke, I bought another; but have spent about a month looking for something a bit nicer. I had been debating between the iBasso D2 and T4s, and NuForce Icon Mobile. Basically, I was looking to spend about $100, but considered amps a bit more pricey.

Anyway, I found a good deal from a fellow poster on this site for a XM4, and pulled the trigger
biggrin.gif

So now I'm looking for a line-out adapter for my iPhone 2G. I'd really rather not spend more than like 20 bucks. I've seen some on eBay for about $17 after shipping. Am I fine using those? Or will they give me problems and/or hinder my SQ?

Also, I'm thinking my setup will now be:

Gym: iPod Shuffle -> E3 -> Shure SCL3
Everything else: iPhone -> Line-out -> Interconnect -> XM4 -> ???

So, looking for a decent adapter. And also, I'd like some portable headphones that provide good bass. Any recommendations? Anything that matches nicely with the XM4, specifically? Right now, I'm really looking into the ATH-ES7s. I hear the bass is good, and the price is right at under a hundred bucks.

Thanks!

Apr 13, 2009 at 5:25 AM Post #2 of 5
How about making your own lod? The cost of supplies might be more or less than $20 but you can make an even better looking lod than if you buy one from ebay.

Apr 13, 2009 at 6:11 AM Post #3 of 5
Don't spend too much on the LOD, instead I'll advice an upgrade of XM4 stock opamp (OPA2134) to AD8620, which will give you real SQ improvement.

Apr 13, 2009 at 6:19 AM Post #4 of 5
Yeah, hopefully a member will drop you a PM soon offering his or her services for making a LOD for you. Don't go to eBay or ALO; way too cheap for the former, and way too expensive for the latter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back