OK, Uberamp schematics
Dec 22, 2002 at 10:23 PM Post #31 of 53
Quote:

Originally posted by zzz
It looks like it covers two channels (4 isolation amps) but maybe I'm mistaken.

Hrmm, ok. So if one wanted to build an air cooled version, how much would it need to be scaled down and would I need fans or just good heatsinks?

Dec 22, 2002 at 10:53 PM Post #33 of 53
Quote:

Originally posted by zzz
Huh? Secret famous DIY'ers?

Nope, it's just that they have EVERYTHING else we talk about here, so why not UberAmp!!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

((
biggrin.gif
Just a joke Joelongwood & RickG!!!))

Dec 23, 2002 at 12:25 AM Post #34 of 53
Yep the price is for both channels. Half of which is the
chiller. For the air cooled version all you need to
do is add a temperature sensor on the heat sink and
wire it into one of 3 remaining a/d channels.

Just think of all the firmware fights we can have.
My (stepped,timed,sliding,...) class A bias is better than your
(peak monitoring,...) (C code or asm...)

Someone with a NC mill needs to make up some heatsink
baseplates, that can be fitted with standard heatsink
extrusions. Then these things are easy to build.

Scaling the amp down is easy. You lower the regulated
voltage levels, and reduce the number of output transistors
and power supply pass transistors.

Got to find cheaper isolation amps. No one really makes
these things any more. Maybe an IR diode feeding a photodiode...
Does not have to be very linear...

Dec 23, 2002 at 2:55 PM Post #36 of 53
Quote:

Originally posted by kevin gilmore
Haskris water chiller $4500. If you live in an area in the
country where it is legal to dump water down the sewer then
by all means hook the thing up to a garden hose, you need
about 3 gallons per minute. Better yet, hook the output up
to your garden sprinkler. The more you listen, the greener
your lawn...

three gallons a minute? doesn't that seem a bit wasteful?

it seems like it'd be very easy to setup a reservoir for the setup and then you could simply leave it on all the time within the pump structure (similar to the way that people watercool personal computers) and not waste hundreds of gallons of water a month.

either way, it sounds like a lot of fun!

Dec 23, 2002 at 8:35 PM Post #37 of 53
three gallons a minute? doesn't that seem a bit wasteful?

That is why open loop water air conditioning systems are
illegal in most areas of the country.

it seems like it'd be very easy to setup a reservoir for the setup and then you could simply leave it on all the time within the pump structure (similar to the way that people watercool personal computers) and not waste hundreds of gallons of water a month.

Those computer cooling systems are just barely able to do 65
watts. Not going to hold up to 800 watts of standby power.

I think i have found someone to do the main output transistor
board. It will be 32 x 14 inches (2 one per channel) But is
it ever expensive. Especially with .125 circuit board and real
heavy copper traces.

Dec 25, 2002 at 9:24 AM Post #38 of 53
First, my obligatory salute to Kevin Gilmore, tech god.

Now, to disagree with you. I've pondered an unhealthy amount about subjects I will never be appreciated for by the general public or be able to use in any practical application. One of these is audiophilia. Another is computer cooling.

Quote:

Those computer cooling systems are just barely able to do 65 watts. Not going to hold up to 800 watts of standby power.

Usually watercooled systems take around 100 watts, much more if one uses peltier cooling. The problem is not the amount of heat that can be disposed of, it is the amount of heat that can be removed through the waterblock in a timely manner. 800 watts(don't know about multichannel) is easily doable considerring the prices that are being thrown around here. Your heatsink looks very adequate, unlike many tiny, tiny CPU waterblocks, which have to take the entire wattage out of a >1cm square area. What kind of temperatures would be safe to handle this thing with?

There MUST be a way to replace the haskris beast. I think you should be able to easily rig up a system that has enough cooling, you just have to expand what a normal overclocking enthusiest uses.

1)Take a few large heatercores($20-$30 at your local auto junkyard), rig them up in sequence or parallel(would need experimentation to find the right mix, most heatercores abhor high pressure)

2)Add quality pump( Lets see... you said 3 gallons per minute. 180 GPH. I'll double that. An eheim 1250 is 317GPH. )

3)Put in an aquarium for reservoir(although its not absolutely necessary in theory, in practice you need it because it a)gives you a lot more elbow room before your entire system's water temperature gets critical b)makes it possible to bleed the air out of your system, and c) lets you refill it after the inevitable leak)

4)Add some large fans(whatever fits your heatercores), get them down to a manageable voltage(manageable=relatively quiet) and you're done.

Have you tried measureing the temps of the water coming out of the heatsink? You would probably need copper tubing while the water is still extraordinarily hot, when it gets below the point at which it will damage plastic, you can use flexible tubing.

Daniel Ritter, an excellent tech writer, experimented with a 200 watt load of resistors to test a large radiator(90mmx270mm) and ended up with water stable at 9 degrees above ambient. Seeing how heatercores vary enormously in size, and its not hard to get one much bigger, and how a heatercores have much better heat-dissipation ability than standard finned radiators of the same size, it shouldn't be hard to get a few to manage a many hundred watt load. The waterchiller doesn't have special mechanisms by which it magically releases heat, it relies on the same heat-exchange technology(except for whatever chills it below ambient) that good ole computer WC systems use.

Another thought: If one wanted a below-ambient system and was willing to sacrifice a fully closed system, at the advantage of wasting MUCH less water than 3 gallons per minute, they could try evaporative cooling, based off a bong. The idea is to evaporate water over a large surface area. In this case, direct convection(and phase change) can be used instead of conduction through metal into air(which is a quite good insulator). One nice idea I've seen discussed is spreading water(using either a holed pipe, or, if you don't want to drill one, a sprinkler tube or two) over a container filled with ping-pong balls(or a similar sized granular substance). Air is pushed from fans(they should be ducted from above using clothesdryer ducting to prevent getting wet) just above the waterline, through the container and out through the top. A little bit of the water goes with them, along with the heat required to change it to vapor. The resulting cooled water is pumped out of the pool at the bottom. While this wastes water, it is NOTHING compared to even a minute or two of running water once through your system and washing it down the drain. You might need(considerring the wattage) a gallon or two each listening session.

Quote:

posted by grinch

The only reason I go to the elaborate means posted above is that either spending $4500 for a waterchiller, or wasting roughly 130 THOUSAND gallons a month(if run constantly) is unnacceptible for most people, even most people interested in projects like these. This cuts the cost down to about $3000, which is a lot more maneagable than $7000(And is passes the psychological barrier of "costs the same as a nice used car").

Even if it doesn't work, if I were to want this project I would waste a few hundred dollars on this to see if it works before blowing four grand on an industrial waterchiller.

Oh, BTW, another thing I've been meaning to ask you: what is the stepped attenuator used on this amp? It looks homebuilt or something.

Dec 25, 2002 at 1:19 PM Post #39 of 53
Squalish,

I got one word for you. WAF!

This is NOT junkyard war's. (still the show based on audio
power amps could be quite a bit of fun)

I'm in enough trouble with 5 satellite dishes (2 are full size)

Other than that, your analysis is basically correct. The haskris
has the additional benefit of being temperature controlled as
the compressor cycles from low to high power modes.

No one figured out what the stepped attenuator was.
I'm kind of disapointed. A whole bunch of these were made.
It is from a crown IC150B. It was made by "CTS Knight" and
featured .1% precision resistors on a ceramic substrate, 8
to each package. Many many moons ago i worked on crown
eqiupment for midwest hifi. I acquired 6 of these.
(The preamp sucked bigtime, lm741's as the amp chips)

If i was going to run an open loop system given the water
rates here, the water would be $.72 per hour, and the electric
rates about $.16 per hour. Both of which are cheaper
than the $1.68 per hour the lightbulb in the projector costs to
run.

Dec 26, 2002 at 12:22 AM Post #41 of 53
i agree with squalish. it would be really easy to diy a water cooler for this system. you wouldn't have to junk hunt for parts if you are wooried about it being a junk "yard wars" cooler and you would still come out way way ahead of the $4500 for the haskris. there are loads of different configurations you could use for this too. if you're going to diy something of this level, you may as well go all the way, right?

Dec 26, 2002 at 10:29 PM Post #42 of 53
A clarification - the only item I said to find in an auto junkyard was the heatercores. The only reason I said to get them there is that used car heatercores are A) The most effective part for a heat exchanger, a bit better than computer watercooling "radiators". B) The easiest to find, there are tons of them being used for scrap metal, and replacement auto parts, which is what any new heatercore qualifies as, are VASTLY overpriced. C) The cheapest solution. They are $20-35 at a junkyard, compared to less effective computer watercooling radiators that sell for $80.

Jan 12, 2003 at 2:39 AM Post #45 of 53
speaking of which :

Krell Master Reference Amplifier

Quote:

In the spirit of the omnipotent alien race in 'Forbidden Planet' that inspired the company's name, Krell flaunted its claim to unlimited power with the Master Reference Amplifier (shown with SMR Forums contributor Kurt Giesselman). This 680lb monoblock behemoth delivers 1,000 class-A watts. A pair will set you back $120,000.

The Krell MRA, which weighs three times more than I do, is part of the same series as Krell's Master Reference Subwoofer. It is a whopping 25½" × 18½" × 35" — and is only a monoblock! The MRA features Krell's CAST™ (Current Audio Signal Transmission) which has been developed "...to send audio signals from component to component without introducing the negative effects of interconnect cables into the signal, i.e., loss of gain, reduced slew rate, and tonal coloration." The amp's gain stages operate in current mode, rather than voltage mode amplification. The output stage is comprised of 216 proprietary output devices manufactured for Krell by Motorola. The signal path within the MRA is balanced from input to output. Power output? More than you will ever need: exceeding 1,000watts into 8ohms, 2,000watts into 4ohms, 4,000watts into 2ohms, 8,000watts into 1 Ohm, and 16,000watts into .5ohm — better warn your local power company before hooking this one up.

smr_ces_112.jpg

smr_ces_113.jpg

http://www.smr-home-theatre.org/ces2.../page_08.shtml

Users who are viewing this thread

Back