OK to put tube amp on top of CD player?
Feb 24, 2009 at 7:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

GoHoos

New Head-Fier
I've noticed a lot of people putting tube amps on top of their CD players. Would the micro-vibrations from the CD player affect the tube amp? Microphonics? Any insights from tube experts?

Feb 24, 2009 at 8:18 AM Post #2 of 6
All tubes are microphonic to some degree, but this is unlikely to be a huge issue. When in doubt, borrow a scope and look at the output of the tube amp with the CD player playing but the amp switched to a different input. Having just built a custom tubed CD player, I found that neither the CD drive nor the fan I used in the case caused any issues with the 6AV11 tube I used.

Weight and heat are another story...

Feb 24, 2009 at 9:36 AM Post #3 of 6
I'd be a lot more concerned with heat buildup than anything. Tube amps run warm, so the CD player will have a tough time ventilating heat.

Microphonics can be a problem, but it often gets overstated and overkill solutions are applied. Several times I've tapped the bookcase my amps are on with a woodworking mallet. That definitely introduces vibrations, but I didn't hear any change while I was listening. Since the bookcase is generally vibration free, I don't think there's any need to spend more money.

Feb 25, 2009 at 3:56 PM Post #6 of 6
I have set my tube amp on top of my cd player and can tell you for a fact it sounds better when sitting beside it and not on it. But I have also set solid state amps on it and found the sound better beside it on its own. May be a lot of reasons for this I only know it to be true. More so with the tube amp. Much fuller sounding better base cleaner highs. Try it you will like it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back