Ok, say you were a billionare, whats the best headphones you could get?
Dec 17, 2004 at 8:34 AM Post #16 of 26
Grab all the designers and engineers (Senn, beyer, grado...etc) and told them to build the masterpiece. as well as cables, sources, and amps.

also set-up the best Speaker system in the world
evil_smiley.gif

Dec 17, 2004 at 11:15 AM Post #17 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by 00940
I cannot bring back to life Jacqueline Du Pré or Glenn Gould.

I also cannot make Renée Flemming or José Van Dam 15 years younger.

See, we're stuck with recordings
rolleyes.gif

If I were a billionnaire, headphones would probably disappear of my life anyway. Ever heard a really high end speakers system ?

yes, i heard alot of high end systems as a matter afact. i know what you mean.
wink.gif

but for budget high end phones are really unbeatable.
biggrin.gif

Dec 17, 2004 at 11:36 AM Post #19 of 26
"Ok, say you were a billionare, whats the best headphones"

It depends on your musical taste, your expectations and what you want from your headphones. If you aren't into music and audio quality there is no point in buying the very expensive headphones. Just get some DT 531's, HD 25-1's, DT 770/80'S, AT A900's, MS2's and HD 650's. That should do for most people regardless of how much money they have. Give the savings to charity.

Dec 17, 2004 at 3:33 PM Post #21 of 26
Perhaps somewhat back on topic, I'm not a billionaire, but I have enough money to buy the best (at least when it comes to headphones) but I don't have enough that I want to throw it away without thinking about it. But if I just went nuts, to buy the ultimate system, as of today, I would buy:

Sennheiser HD650's with Zu Mobius
SinglePower SDS, balanced configuration, plus whatever upgrades and tubes Mikhail recommended for the HD650's after I told him I wanted to minimize the Senn "veil" (maybe even ask Mikhail to build two, for dual mono)
Porta Cross - for those times I want x-feed (I love x-feed)

Source - I would keep my Chord Blu/Dac 64MK2. I love the dynamic, plus it offers me the greatest flexibility with great redbook audio, plus a good DAC for those few times I want to use my computer as transport. Frankly, I would consider ultimate hi-rez SACD or DVD-A or a turntable, but 99% of my music is on CD only.

But even with all this, my mid-level speaker-setup would easily trump.

Best regards,

-Jason

Dec 17, 2004 at 4:16 PM Post #23 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by 00940
If I were a billionnaire, headphones would probably disappear
of my life anyway. Ever heard a really high end speakers system ?

Yes, and headphones for life baby!

I'd move my current system to the computer, and get another uber expensive one all custom based around recabled omega 2's and a tube amp using princess tubes. Think I'm ok with what I've got now though.
wink.gif

Biggie.

Dec 17, 2004 at 10:00 PM Post #24 of 26
Same answer that I gave in the "what if you had a million dollars" thread:

http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showp...4&postcount=30

Of course I have changed the custom portable DAC / custom portable amp to an AOS Flute now.

I would probably get everything pimped out in rare metals and custom engravings. I'd make a custom solid platinum enclosure for the placette volume control just to outdoo Dr. Gilmore's volume knob.
biggrin.gif

Dec 17, 2004 at 10:45 PM Post #25 of 26
I'd build a full-size plasma system with dynamic subwoofers and bass tubes. In theory, plasma speakers should eliminate membrane-caused distortion entirely, and should provide the most resolved mids and highs of any possible speaker setup. Of course, they're also toxic, release Ozone and HCN, emit copious amounts of UV and electromagnetic radiation, and are about as efficient as a 30-ton truck. So this makes them basically the ideal audiophile product
tongue.gif

But, we're getting off topic. So:

Meridian G08 --> Sennheiser HEV90 --> HE90 (not sure about the cables though).

Plain, simple, ludicrously expensive. Just the way I like it
icon10.gif
And the funny thing is, compared to the kind of camera setup I'd have, this is all pocket change (mmmm... EOS-1Ds MkII and 1700mm zoom lens...)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back