ok now that my can rig is where i want it i need to rise to a new level of sounds
Aug 23, 2009 at 2:21 PM Post #16 of 21
If you like piano, check out Abdullah Ibrahim. I don't know much about him, but I picked up his latest album, "Senzo," recently, and it's an excellent album. I'd like to know more about it, because it sounds like it was recorded in one long take. Each song runs into the next before you're even aware of it. Really fun album.

Also, two of my favorites that I can't get enough of are Palace Music's "Viva Last Hate" and Sean Hayes' "Flowering Spade." Both are on the folky side, but I wouldn't describe either as being country.

Aug 23, 2009 at 3:48 PM Post #17 of 21
Just a couple of fun guitarists:
Birelli Lagrene or the Rosenberg Trio
Joe Pass

For something a little deeper:
YoYo Ma - Solo
William Parker - Lifting the Sanctions

Aug 23, 2009 at 7:11 PM Post #18 of 21
For something that's both familiar and exotic, try Ali Farka Toure. Savane is a good place to start. I don't know anyone who has heard this and didn't like it.

Rapidshare+Download+Ali+Farka+Toure+Savane.jpg

Aug 27, 2009 at 12:00 AM Post #19 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ham Sandwich /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Three of my favorites from the acoustical side are:

Rodrigo y Garbriela
Acoustic guitar. It makes Grados (and my Denons) come to life. Anyone with RS series or better Grados needs to have this CD. It's great fun to listen to. You can find tracks on YouTube to see (hear) what the music is like.

Skip, Hop & Wobble by Jerry Douglas, Russ Barenberg, and Edgar Meyer
It's a blending of bluegrass and folk. Great fun to listen to. Edgar Meyer has some inspired bass playing in "From Ankara To Izmir". I was listening to this CD today and got shivers during that song. It's not powerful bass to show off the woofers at all, rather it is just magic with the bow and bass.

We Shall Overcome: The Seeger Sessions by Bruce Springsteen
This is just fun fun folk music. I like the recording style and the music is just really fun to listen to and makes you want to sing along.

Tracks from all three of those CDs come with me when I go to meets or go to audition gear.

rodrigo y gabriela were fantastic, an immediate hit, it really keeps the energy going

Aug 27, 2009 at 12:06 AM Post #20 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Motty /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Off the top of my head you could try:

Bon ivor - For emma forever ago, (e.g. Skinny love YouTube - bon iver - skinny love) Gorgeous album of a break up recorded in the woods.

Damien Rice - o (e.g. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YXVMCHG-Nk)- powerful emotional voice.

Kathryn Williams - Little black numbers (e.g. YouTube - Jasmine Hoop - Kathryn Williams) Very delicate voice, very nice.

i look and i look, i cannot find the kathryn williams album

Users who are viewing this thread

Back