ok now that my can rig is where i want it i need to rise to a new level of sounds
Aug 3, 2009 at 10:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

auradud3

100+ Head-Fier
ok, i am an older can lover, and i have maybe 700 cd, on or in itunes using apple lossless, but i find myself bored at times, my grados can do so much more than i remember my senns doing, almost like acrobats, that i want to give them and my brain a whole new experience, i love instrumental music, but i have mostly mainstream music from all eras starting from the 70's. i know many of you out there have alot of diverse musical tastes, and have access to quite a large range of music, i am looking for music that showcases
acoustical guitars, pianos, wind instruments, spanish guitars, female vocalists, get my drift, i want music or sound that just jumps out at you and speaks of the finesse behind the individual voice or instrument, the reason the instrument was created, country of origin is not important either, i have found many good to great music in simple regional folk type music. please share your music, your opinions, the only music i am not really fond of is the good old C & OR W, HEHEHHE. JUST DONT HAVE A TASTE FOR IT, anyway all your suggestions are greatly welcome.

Aug 3, 2009 at 11:37 AM Post #2 of 21
Three of my favorites from the acoustical side are:

Rodrigo y Garbriela
Acoustic guitar. It makes Grados (and my Denons) come to life. Anyone with RS series or better Grados needs to have this CD. It's great fun to listen to. You can find tracks on YouTube to see (hear) what the music is like.

Skip, Hop & Wobble by Jerry Douglas, Russ Barenberg, and Edgar Meyer
It's a blending of bluegrass and folk. Great fun to listen to. Edgar Meyer has some inspired bass playing in "From Ankara To Izmir". I was listening to this CD today and got shivers during that song. It's not powerful bass to show off the woofers at all, rather it is just magic with the bow and bass.

We Shall Overcome: The Seeger Sessions by Bruce Springsteen
This is just fun fun folk music. I like the recording style and the music is just really fun to listen to and makes you want to sing along.

Tracks from all three of those CDs come with me when I go to meets or go to audition gear.

Aug 3, 2009 at 1:36 PM Post #5 of 21
Buddy Guy's Blues Singer is an all acoustic antidote to over produced electro-blues albums and is well worth a listen. Beatifully recorded, top quality material, played by a master musician. Definite ear tonic.

Aug 3, 2009 at 3:32 PM Post #6 of 21
Do you have a turntable?

I know you might not want another hardware recommendation, however, I find vinyl to be one of the best ways to explore new music.

When I'm feeling bored, I go out and hunt used vinyl. $20 or $30 usually gets me an armload of discs and I'll buy anything that looks interesting. You never know what you're going to discover.

Aug 4, 2009 at 8:55 AM Post #7 of 21
thank you all for your input, be assured i am going to try every piece listed, i am at the age where good music is my refuge, but going over the same old mainstream music can feel so restrictive, i want to open up my horizons. again thanks, and keep em coming.

Aug 4, 2009 at 9:33 AM Post #8 of 21
Aug 5, 2009 at 2:44 AM Post #11 of 21
Just purchased Rodrigo Y Gabriella on Ham Sandwich's recommendation. I would never have even looked at this, either on line or in a music shop. Great album, thanks for the tip.

SQ is excellent. This CD is already a top 5 favourite of mine. The guitar skill of Rodrigo and Gabriela is second to none. The tracks are dynamic, well composed and executed. I'm not one for long guitar solos, so an album of guitar only sounds as exciting as watching paint drying to me, but this CD is superb.
biggrin.gif

Mexican/Latin, Flamenco, Acoustic, Metal, hybrid; with covers of L'Zep's Stairway to Heaven and Metalica's Orion. Awesome CD.

Aug 7, 2009 at 9:00 AM Post #13 of 21
come on guys and gals, i see and hear so may people talking about music without expanding on their tastes or reasons, you all cant be listening to mainsteam, there are so many to choose from. lets all share to enhance the enjoyment. except c&w , thats not really music

Users who are viewing this thread

Back