OK need your help fellow Head-Fis.
Jan 5, 2010 at 2:25 AM Post #31 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by catscratch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Or, you could simply be hearing the inherent distortion present in all dynamic drivers.

Most decent dynamic headphones have distortion well under 1% THD. It's not like the land of speakers where you're talking 10% or more easily.

Quote:

If you're listening to really fast and dense stuff, like death metal or very complex electronica, then most dynamics simply can't keep up. Here you will need electrostats, or orthodynamics at the very least. I also think that with most dynamics stuff like Nile turns into a distorted mess. But before you commit to a 'stat system (which doesn't have to be very expensive, check out the Stax SR-001, SR-005a, and 2050 systems, or a Koss ESP950), you should rule out all of the possibilities above.

I suggest you read a thread, starting at this post showing that dynamics can actually be faster than stats.

I'm surprised no one asked this yet, but what type of MP3 player did the OP use to listen to the headphones? Some players are noisy, underpowered, etc . . . so we'd need to know that too before blaming the cans honestly.

Jan 26, 2010 at 9:06 PM Post #34 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Definitely upgrade the source. See if you can get your hands on the Gamma2 (or have it built for you) and run it to a little amp like a Mini^3 until you can upgrade the amp again.

I just got my RS1!
And I have to say that the ones who told the problem was the source you were right .
The RS1 is better but not that better, just a bit compared to the ms1, for the price difference it should knock it out.

Jan 27, 2010 at 1:14 AM Post #36 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by BoogieWoogie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just got my RS1!
The RS1 is better but not that better, just a bit compared to the ms1, for the price difference it should knock it out.

Hmmm. I wouldn't be so sure about that. This hobby is a very funny business. Upgrade the source, but be prepared.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 27, 2010 at 8:53 AM Post #37 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by aimlink /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmmm. I wouldn't be so sure about that. This hobby is a very funny business. Upgrade the source, but be prepared.
smily_headphones1.gif

Yes. They share the same Grado sound, so don't expect any big surprises. The difference is in the details, but a lowly source can't bring then out.

Jan 27, 2010 at 12:51 PM Post #38 of 41
Wow, I am craving some RS-1s and my system is Zero DAC>Ear+ HD. You have a Creative Zen and RS-1, no fair
tongue.gif
. You desperately need to upgrade your source and get some good amplification! I would call my setup the minimum for a pair of RS-1. My amp may be one of the best for Grado's, especially the RS-1, but am using my computer as a source and a $200 Zero DAC
redface.gif

Jan 27, 2010 at 7:24 PM Post #39 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by aimlink /img/forum/go_quote.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

What mean, prepare for few differences ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by stang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow, I am craving some RS-1s and my system is Zero DAC>Ear+ HD. You have a Creative Zen and RS-1, no fair
tongue.gif
. You desperately need to upgrade your source and get some good amplification! I would call my setup the minimum for a pair of RS-1. My amp may be one of the best for Grado's, especially the RS-1, but am using my computer as a source and a $200 Zero DAC
redface.gif

Actually I recieved my RS1 and a Millet Hybrid minimax but can't turn it on, I'm waiting for the Gamma y2 DAC.

Laptop and MP3 player->RS1
The priced difference doesnt justify the small differences and still doesnt sound hi.fi to me so I will problably sell it if the Laptop->y2->Rs1 combo doesn't bring it and buy a k701 or a hd600.

Jan 27, 2010 at 9:07 PM Post #40 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by BoogieWoogie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What mean, prepare for few differences ?

Yes, be prepared for continued small differences. How meaningful those differences are depends on you, the listener. I'm not so much into those differences now just for the sake of it. There are some subtle differences that are meaningful to me and some that aren't.

Jan 28, 2010 at 1:04 AM Post #41 of 41
You will get worse sound out of a K701. That seriously needs something like $1k spent on DAC and amp to make it (sounds like it so far) your worth while. They are serious audiophile cans. So are the RS-1s but they are not as revealing and do not need such good amplification, as clean source etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back