OK Last inquiery about these 2 amps.
Jan 12, 2008 at 8:02 PM Post #16 of 34
Please dont help this guy, myself and others recommended the Pico,,,no donuts here, just smooth from top to bottom, and this guy gets rude and as far as im concerned he deserves what he gets.

Quote:

Where am I suppose to get a source for this Pico DAC in my bedroom that has no PC's? At work, as a Electronics field technician, I cannot listen to music, against company policy. Very unprofessional when the client is beside you and your listening to music...

Quote:

$500.00 for a DAC Pico that I won't be using the DAC part of it, useless to me. $300.00 for an amp only Pico is too expensive for what it is since I will be using it for home only and don't need the portability side of it that the price is based on.

I rather get the Arietta that can supply 13V Peak to Peak at 250mA for $250 and is a true home amp with no batteries in it. The Pico supplies 8.2 volts peak to peak.

Anyways, I made up my mind. I'm getting the Arietta.

Does that sound like someone who is interested in anyones opinion besides his own?

Jan 12, 2008 at 8:58 PM Post #17 of 34
Thx for the info mchang.

HardHeadCase, why don't you go play hide and seek with my avatar. You can bring along the Pico, if you even own one.

Jan 12, 2008 at 8:59 PM Post #18 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by HardHeadCase /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Please dont help this guy, myself and others recommended the Pico,,,no donuts here, just smooth from top to bottom, and this guy gets rude and as far as im concerned he deserves what he gets.

Does that sound like someone who is interested in anyones opinion besides his own?

Please do not talk. You recommended a portable amp to someone who only needs an amp for home use. No, that is not alright. Wait...let me restate that. Home amps have all the reasons to be superior when portability is not necessary, especially to someone with a budget as mentioned here. If a guy can have a GS-1, why get a Pico? If a guy can have a GS-1, and you think his source is crap...why not recommend him some kind of a nice sounding soure at least instead of crapping on his hands ?!!? Note, he even stated why he does not want to get a Pico.

OP: Consider Darkvoice 332. While it is tubed, but it does not sund tubey (which is what you are afraid of from what I read in your description). Lots of authority with any cans you plug into it.

Meier amplifiers will not offer the same driven powerful sound you are looking for, for that matter they generally tend to be on a soft, although fairly natural, side of things.

Lastly, around 9 Vpp is actually enough to drive your headphones just fine. There are other factors in play that apparently make you not like LDIV with high impedance cans.

Jan 12, 2008 at 9:06 PM Post #19 of 34
MaloS you read my mind...thx for understanding what I was trying to get to.

I heard there are no more 332 /120v available on ebay.

Quote:

Meier amplifiers will not offer the same driven powerful sound you are looking for, for that matter they generally tend to be on a soft, although fairly natural, side of things.

Thank you for this important info which no one really tells you about.

Looks like the only way is to really use my Laptop as a source and purchase a Seperate DAC and amp.

Back to square one. I can forget buying my digital SLR for a few months for now so I can get me a good audio setup to begin with.

Jan 12, 2008 at 9:18 PM Post #20 of 34
If you really want to get rid of you laptop, you can give it to me or Wadia iTransport, I saw that it has a pair of RCA line out, you can connect those with amp of you choice or you can add a new dac in between if you're going to upgrade later

Jan 12, 2008 at 9:31 PM Post #21 of 34
I go Apple Airport Express > digital toslink > DAC > amp to avoid a laptop or computer in the bedroom.

Jan 12, 2008 at 11:10 PM Post #22 of 34
Well okay. Suppose you take the budget that buys you a GS-1/HR-2, 750ish. Say, you are going to use DV 332 as an amp - Darkvoice just revamped their product line and now ship world-wide (they have their own website too), so you can order from them. I'd suggest at least contacting them about the pricing, should run you around 400ish?

Ok, so suppose that leaves you with around $350 (+- some) of a budget. Right off the bat I can see that on audiogon that can get you an Camrbdige Audio Azur 640C, or Rega Planet 2000. You could also use a Squeezebox, which wirelessly connects to your laptop and you can stream music to it, while retaining control over what music is played via Squeezebox itself. All of the above are fine sources.

This is basically a comfortable split of a budget that I personally would try if I was in your situation, using your cans.

Jan 14, 2008 at 4:19 AM Post #26 of 34
Right now I am looking into a GOOD CD Player source. An Onkyo DX-7555 or a Nad most probably or equivalent and a MK V amp.

From what I have just found out from a very good souce here, lossless wav is the way to go with this amp.

Thx

Jan 14, 2008 at 5:52 AM Post #28 of 34
What I was told was it is much better than 320 mp3. I have no clue. Have to read up on formats. This person reviewed many amps here so he knows what he is recommending.

So that's why I decided to go with CDP > MK V> DT990

Anyways, I was thinking about it. 1 CD player is enough while I'm in bed. I'll end up falling asleep after 1 hour anyways.

Jan 14, 2008 at 7:36 AM Post #29 of 34
Lossless is for archival. I don't think anyone has ever been able to tell the difference between something like a 320 MP3 and a FLAC encode of the same song. I could be wrong, though.

Why not get that nifty new iPod dock that does digital output, and then a cheap DAC that is better than the iPod (iBasso D1? Beresford?), then hook that up to some amp?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back