Ok, another "small footprint" CDP Thread
May 4, 2007 at 2:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

spaceman

Headphoneus Supremus
Sorry, but I need one and can't find one!!!! I'm looking for a dedicated CDP for my bedroom listening area. I'll be using the H5 amp, and possibly a millett hybrid with some AKGs, and a few Senns. Would like to keep it around 12x12, give or take an inch or two. Send me on my mission!

May 4, 2007 at 8:09 AM Post #2 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by spaceman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry, but I need one and can't find one!!!! I'm looking for a dedicated CDP for my bedroom listening area. I'll be using the H5 amp, and possibly a millett hybrid with some AKGs, and a few Senns. Would like to keep it around 12x12, give or take an inch or two. Send me on my mission!

Try Nagra or Cyrus. Unfortunately the Nagra costs 13k.

nagra_cd_pg.jpg

CD8bg.jpg

May 4, 2007 at 4:02 PM Post #4 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by HiWire /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Nagra is so ugly it's beautiful
evil_smiley.gif

nagra.jpg

Nagra are best known for their professional tape recorders which are the industry standard for film but their Hi-Fi separates are designed to complement that styling. In the flesh they are probably the best engineered things you will ever touch having that swiss hewn from solid metal feel, making all other equipment look cheap and nasty by comparison. Makes SME feel like Shanling.

Check out the miniature tape recorder the

"Série Noire originally ordered by President JF Kennedy for the American secret services and was even taken to the moon on one of the Apollo missions"

http://www.nagraaudio.com/highend/index.php

Cyrus or Quad definietly be at the more affordable end of the market.

May 5, 2007 at 12:29 PM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by memepool /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Check out the miniature tape recorder the
"Série Noire originally ordered by President JF Kennedy for the American secret services and was even taken to the moon on one of the Apollo missions"

SNST-R_page.jpg

The mono version of this recorder was used in movie makeing to record voices of actors in outdoor or action scenes. The actor would have the recorder stashed on their person somewhere. But the Stereo version was unavailable for public sale under national security instructions. Only law enforcement agencies were allowed to have them.

Took me a while to find one, but here's a picture where you can tell how big one of these beauties is.

kudel-10.jpg

May 5, 2007 at 3:14 PM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by infinitesymphony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm curious... Are all of these CD players purposefully designed to take up a small footprint, or did they just happen to turn out that way?

The Nagra actually has a small outboard power supply and the Cyrus can also add this as well. I think the products were designed for this size to compliment their exisiting products and brand look.

May 6, 2007 at 1:37 AM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyll Hertsens /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Took me a while to find one, but here's a picture where you can tell how big one of these beauties is.

kudel-10.jpg

Tyll, aren't you glad you stopped wearing those glasses?
biggrin.gif

May 6, 2007 at 2:28 AM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyll Hertsens /img/forum/go_quote.gif

[img]http://claude.gendre.9online.fr/kudel-10.jpg

What's that on his lap? doesn't look like a Nagra. Must be a Stellovox? those are even rarer and more expensive... Like Bentley vs. Rolls

I love the fact they took one to the moon... those '60s spy gadgets are so cool like the Minox cameras.

minox-b-2.jpg

which according to the BBC

"was found, and then mysteriously not found, among the possessions of Lee Harvey Oswald"

May 6, 2007 at 5:05 AM Post #13 of 13
this has been a helpful thread
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back