Oil shielded cables - what's the benefit?
Nov 27, 2010 at 2:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

MrProggie

100+ Head-Fier
Nov 27, 2010 at 2:14 PM Post #2 of 14
Sounds like snake oil to me 
biggrin.gif

Nov 27, 2010 at 2:45 PM Post #3 of 14
Nov 27, 2010 at 3:51 PM Post #6 of 14
If you buy into the fact that cables look like capacitors, would you rather have a PVC dielectric or a paper in oil dielectric? I guess you would have to buy into different dielectrics sounding different too, but if you can hear cables you can surely hear caps.

I should preface that with my belief that any difference is going to be VERY VERY small... buy a better (insert headphone, amp, dac, recording, something that matters, etc here) before any cable. 

Nov 29, 2010 at 10:48 PM Post #8 of 14
I can only think that it is to resist static buildup...oil-soaked cotton makes for a pretty good dampening layer. 

Nov 29, 2010 at 11:30 PM Post #9 of 14
Well, as far as PCs go they started submerging them in clear oil tubs to prevent oxidation, dust bunnies and increase thermal loads for running a silent PC.  Plus it looks cool.  So if you can overclock your oiled speaker cables they should have better PRaT.  
L3000.gif

Nov 30, 2010 at 8:48 AM Post #10 of 14
10 years ago, I asked my dad why the cables behind the audio equipment were all oily and greasy.  He said it was normal.

Now I know he had a set of oil-infused (I think audioquest) interconnects back there.  

Yes they leak over time...

Dec 3, 2010 at 2:34 PM Post #14 of 14
I've had experience with gel filled cable for outdoor/buried use. The gel prevents water from getting into the cable, freezing, and wrecking it.

Oil filled cable performs a similar function--insulating and automatically filling voids of insulation caused by expansion or contraction. You can also pressurize and monitor  the oil, so that you know if a cable is breached. This is for industrial/utility use.

I can't think of any benefits to using oil-filled cable for home audio. And eventually it will make a mess.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back