Ohhkay... this should prove difficult
Nov 20, 2004 at 4:33 AM Post #31 of 41
The DT250-250 are my favorite closed headphone by a wide margin over the ones that I have sold (which include the DT250-80, DT770pro, AT-A1000, AT-W1000, Sony CD3000). They do lack soundstage, but I am finding that effect quite contrived in headphones anyway. I did not care for the DT250-80 very much at all, and there was very little difference in output capability driving both versions straight out of an ipod.

The downsides are the mediocre isolation (among the worst for closed cans) and the small size. If they fit over your ears, they are great.

Canal phones are a different animal entirely. I think that the Ety ER4S are among the most accurate available, if you really want accuracy. They do offer amazing isolation. I find that they do not offer the detail that many conventional headphones (or speakers) offer. For comparison I have tried the Shure E2, E3c, and E5. I find the Etys a cut above any of the Shures for sound quality. otoh I prefer the fit of the E3c for working out, and with an inline resistor they actually have some treble response (note that canal phones behave very differently from headphones when it comes to amplifier impedance).

gerG

Nov 20, 2004 at 4:47 AM Post #32 of 41
I agree with what gerG said. They do happen to fit over my ear. For circumaural phones, they're pretty small. You kind of have to put them on from the back to the front like Eggo's.

Nov 20, 2004 at 5:47 AM Post #33 of 41
I saw a pair of DT831's for about $80 on Head-Fi a few days ago. They isolate well and sound great. You were looking for great midrange and detail? These are your cans, though they can be every bit as tough as the HD600's to drive properly.
I just got a killer home PPA built by ITZBITZ and it certainly does the job with the Beyerdynamic DT831's. In fact, I like their sound better that the Sennheisers.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 20, 2004 at 10:59 AM Post #34 of 41
OK, so the DT770s and the 250-80s are out.If my AKG K55s have ANY resemblance to the A271Ss, which I suspect they do, then the 271Ss are out, too.
Isn't the DT831 supposed to be thin sounding, Carbon Man?

Also, I've heard about the new Beyer DTX series... how are those?

About the insulation thing... about 26 dbs worth of attenuation should be enough. Is that too much to ask?

Nov 20, 2004 at 4:09 PM Post #35 of 41
26 db of attenuation at what frequency? Closed cans all offer attenuation of outside noise at high and mid frequencies, but somewhere in the midrange they roll off to zero isolation. Only canal phones will give you that kind of isolation across the audible spectrum. You can check out isolation measurements over at headroom. If you are seriously considering canal phones, try a couple of different styles of earplugs to make sure that you can tolerate having something in your ears. Some people can't stand it.

I was a big fan of the DT831, until I got my second pair. My first pair sounded incredible, with wonderful mids and very strong bass. The second set just sound thin. I converted them to open cans (only requires pulling 2 internal rubber plugs) to wake up the bass. They still have issues. Based on my sample of 2 I would not know what to expect from a third pair. They also have a narrow peak in the response in the lower treble that makes them sound rather bright. I still think they are a good headphone. I also would consider trying the newer Beyer line.

I forgot to mention the Ultrasones. They are nice, but the sound is very exagerated in the bass and treble. This is great for low level listening, but at moderate levels it is just too much. Isolation is great, and comfort is very good if you replace the stock pads with the Beyer pads. They are moderately easy to drive.

gerG

Nov 20, 2004 at 5:07 PM Post #36 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shatter
If my AKG K55s have ANY resemblance to the A271Ss, which I suspect they do, then the 271Ss are out, too.

I would seriously doubt that your K55s sound anything remotely like the K271S's. Would you say that Sony MDR-150's sound like the CD3K's? No...
tongue.gif

Edit: or at least I hope they don't... the MDR-150's sound like crap
eek.gif

Nov 21, 2004 at 1:37 AM Post #37 of 41
The DT250's are good at keeping the music in... certainly not the best at keeping outside noises out. I don't want to over-exaggerate their lacking isolation, though. I work in a data entry center where announcements are made over an intercom. If they don't turn the lights on for the announcement, there's an 80% chance I won't know it ever happened. I'm not sure what you're trying to block out but they don't completely suck or anything.

Nov 21, 2004 at 1:53 AM Post #38 of 41
Pik is right, the DT250 are quite adequate for shutting out acoustic emissions from co-workers or office equipment. With just the cans you will still hear muted sounds of the world, but engage music and it all melts away. I had to install a strobe flasher on my phone at work. I prefer to actively ignore my phone
tongue.gif

gerG

Nov 21, 2004 at 11:15 AM Post #39 of 41
Umm... I need to keep my music in more than i need to keep outside noises out, if that makes any sense. I don't want to disturb people, but i don't mind environmental noise. Is that how you would describe the 250-250s behaviour?

Oh, and I forgot the most important part: I'd be listening to heavy metal, 60s pop (also known as classic rock
smily_headphones1.gif
), a little piano-based classical, ... there isn't a genre that won't pass through these cans, but i guess rock and its multitude of variations would the the main dish
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 22, 2004 at 3:00 AM Post #40 of 41
That's exactly how I'd describe them.

I've listened to every rock variation through these phones but I cannot comment on how the handle classical music. I have listened to huge arrangements of instruments though... music like Godspeed You Black Emporer and such. I think they do everything well.

Nov 22, 2004 at 10:26 AM Post #41 of 41
The Beyer DT-150s are excellent closed cans. Really ugly appearance-wise, but they sound really good, suprisingly comfortable to wear as well. They're supposed to be for pro audio use, but these are definitely the best closed can's I've heard, much better than the dt-250 250s(I own these as well) and the CD3Ks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back