Ohhkay... this should prove difficult
Nov 19, 2004 at 12:26 PM Post #16 of 41
if you don't like pleather, a900 might not be your thing, plus their pad replacement are expensive!

Personally I can easily wear a900 for a whole day, it doesn't bother me that much, only need occuationally take it off to give my ears a breathe. The isolation of the can is decent, I have two noisy computers and a air purifier sitting next to me, wearing a900 and the noise no longer bother me.

Nov 19, 2004 at 6:08 PM Post #18 of 41
Mmm... aren't the Ultrasones supposed to be echoish? I see you've got them... how do they sound, in your opinion?

I was thinking about the Beyer 250-80s. Are those comfortable?

Nov 19, 2004 at 6:12 PM Post #19 of 41
They beyers have comfy velour pads and arn't shaped weird like the ultrazone's so you won't look like as much of a geek. The way the cord of the beyer's attaches is problematic for people with no necks however.

Biggie.

Nov 19, 2004 at 6:19 PM Post #20 of 41
I have a loong, beautiful neck and a fairly large head
smily_headphones1.gif
. I also don't mind looking like a geek, not at all
k1000smile.gif

Nov 19, 2004 at 8:42 PM Post #21 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by NotoriousBIG_PJ
akg 271 might be what you want, but I'm not sure how much they isolate vs. other closed cans (more/less I have no idea). beyer 250-80 is another one to consider, it isolated well enough for my needs. Each are much better than the v6 for sound.

Biggie.

The K271 isolates quite well. If you aren't a fan of pleather, I found that cutting the tube off an old (clean) cotton sock and putting it around the pads helped a lot. That's what I used during the summer to keep them comfortable and it didn't seem to affect the isolation too much, either.

Nov 19, 2004 at 8:47 PM Post #22 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shatter
I told you this was going to be difficult... Keep 'em coming
smily_headphones1.gif

On a side note, what decent canalphones can I get for $250? I don't think I'd like the ER6. Is typing while listening an issue with this type of 'phones?

Headphone.com has the ER4P's for $219.00 right now. Also, I've been using them at work all day. No problems with the typing.

Nov 19, 2004 at 8:58 PM Post #23 of 41
Quote:

I need some comfortable, closed, nicely isolating cans with a good midrange and good detail (soundstage means 0 to me), up to around $250 without shipping . Comfortable means circumaural, no pleather.
I'd be driving them with a cheap dedicated amp (haven't decided which) , as i have no half-decent headphone jack, let alone something to power it with
smily_headphones1.gif

Would you care to help me find such rare beasts ?

$145 - Beyerdrynamic DT250-250's (you have to call www.fullcompass.com). Very comfortable (their pads are the ones people use to replace the stock pads on the Sony V6's... not pleather, velour), isolate pretty well though not as well as something like the A900, great midrange and detail. Solid, accurate bass, not a thumpingman's phone. Since it doesn't matter much to you, I will say that they don't have the best soundstaging; they're very direct phones with a great sound all around though not as direct as the DT770 *shudder*.

Very very durable with solid construction. They're phones you can toss in the backseat and not think twice.

The DT250-250's are 250 ohm but there is also an 80 ohm model that supposedly doesn't sound as good but is, obviously, easier to drive.

I think this phone fits your criteria. I'll be honest, it's also my favorite phone.

Nov 19, 2004 at 9:20 PM Post #25 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by mr_superlove
Headphone.com has the ER4P's for $219.00 right now. Also, I've been using them at work all day. No problems with the typing.

unless you put the tri-flanges on your thumbs. that makes typing trickier.

Nov 19, 2004 at 9:21 PM Post #26 of 41
Quote:

Well... "harder to drive"... does that mean a, say, Headsave Classic will drive them with a lot of distortion, or that it simply won't get them to earsplitting volumes?

If you are using an amp, 250-250 is fine, its just not a good idea to use them unamped.

Biggie.

Nov 19, 2004 at 9:27 PM Post #27 of 41
VicAjax... don't make fun of poor, uneducated me. I was merely supposing that there's some kind of microphony, seeing how walking with the Etys on gives an unpleasant effect.

Oh and I wasn't thinking about using the headphones unamped... I know better than that
600smile.gif

What about the DT770s?

Nov 19, 2004 at 10:48 PM Post #28 of 41
Quote:

VicAjax... don't make fun of poor, uneducated me. I was merely supposing that there's some kind of microphony, seeing how walking with the Etys on gives an unpleasant effect.

i wasn't making fun of you...sorry if it came out that way. i was just having a little fun with the way mr_superlove answered your question.

i'm a big fan of my er4p's... i don't think microphonics will be an issue with typing at all. in fact, the only time i have a problem is occasionally when the wires rub against my clothes when i walk, and a quick adjustment of the shirtclip usually fixes that. i use them primarily for my commute.

soundwise, some complain of thin bass... i only have found that with poorly produced recordings or low bitrate encoding. i was just listening to parliament, trombipulation, and was mighty satisfied with the deep, tight bass. details are sparkly and abundant.
etysmile.gif

Nov 20, 2004 at 2:34 AM Post #29 of 41
Quote:

What about the DT770s?

Super bass, less soundstage/more forward, more isolation, perhaps even more durable. However, the DT770's are known for their recessed midrange and they're not the most detailed phones. General consensus regarding these phones is that they're 'fun.'

I didn't have much fun with mine but I was driving them with what I would consider a rather lame amp... an older Total Airhead.

I've heard the DT250-250's unamped on my friend's Zen. There's plenty missing from the sound and you have to almost max the volume. If you're using a Headsave amp, you'll be more than fine. My META42 does an admirable job
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 20, 2004 at 4:24 AM Post #30 of 41
Quote:

with a good midrange and good detail

definately the K271S then... and if you hate pleather I have heard of people putting the velour beyerdynamics pads on them
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back