Oh - this is why people like tube amps :)
Nov 1, 2008 at 8:18 AM Post #16 of 43
Welcome to "Team Tube Amp"!
biggrin.gif

Nov 1, 2008 at 12:50 PM Post #17 of 43
Will it ever end?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Golden Monkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No.

lol....

x2

Nov 1, 2008 at 1:06 PM Post #18 of 43
Quote:

I don't know...I guess not everyone that gets a tube amp actually obsesses about tubes, but I'm a huge history buff, and NOS tubes in particular are so appealing. I can't help but think about when they were made, where they've been, what they've been through.

Actually I think a LOT of us get into that - Tubes are really fun in that regard - checking out different plate constructions and brands and how they sound different, finding rare tube versions, all that stuff is really fun. Tubes are just a lot of fun if you are at all into tinkering.

Nov 1, 2008 at 1:43 PM Post #19 of 43
Hmm - I can already tell this is going to be completely addicting
smily_headphones1.gif

I've been poking around for tubes and will have to order some - the appeal of tweaking in general, plus changing the sound, plus the tangent history is simply too much to pass up.

The tubes this amp uses are: 6AS7 rear, ECC88 front

Currently it has stock tubes but also an additional "Groove tube" for the front

the recommendations I've heard so are are the 6h1p-ev russian tube for the front and the rca 6as7g for the back.

Any other tube advice?

Oh yeah, are the herbie's tube dampeners worthwhile?

Finally, and this may be a bit esoteric, but the volume know has two little screws to tighten it down and one is missing (here's a link to the fs thread with pics of the knob) - any idea where I could get one of these little screws or anyone here have one I could buy?

And finally, now i understand why there's that thread about tubes glowing at night
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 1, 2008 at 1:50 PM Post #20 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by jrosenth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So I just got a Woo Audio1 (see this review) and am absolutely loving it.

I was always a little nervous about tube amps, seemed like more to do to keep them running. This one didn't have any of the little dials that seem to change adjust it. (I'm not quite sure what they do for most tube amps or if this one would have them somewhere - if anyone could I'd appreciate it.)

In any case, I'm in love, it's absolutely musical, warm and enjoyable but dosen't loose any of the detail that I've found with solid state amps.

Really really impressive is all I can say. It makes digital sources sound much more analog, like my old record player. Honestly now I think I finally understand why someone would use a tube buffer.

What can I say? I'm hooked
smily_headphones1.gif

Glad you're enjoying your new amp, but making things sound "tubey" or making CDs sound like analogue isn't the purpose of a tube buffer. Although improper use can have effects that cause that kind of perception.

Nov 1, 2008 at 1:53 PM Post #21 of 43
Once you get a high quality tube amp, especially an amp that uses easy to find tubes, tube shopping can be fun brotha!

Ebay, tube dealers, audiogon has some fine vintage stuff and shopping for a great tube has been a joy to me. I love unearthing a nice treasure that's been sitting around for decades and bringing it to life!

chewie0ol.gif

Nov 1, 2008 at 1:58 PM Post #22 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Glad you're enjoying your new amp, but making things sound "tubey" or making CDs sound like analogue isn't the purpose of a tube buffer. Although improper use can have effects that cause that kind of perception.

Yeah, maybe I should have worded it that way - I wanted to say it makes music sound more like music, or simply more enjoyable, but was worried that wasn't descriptive enough.

I wouldn't say it sounds tubey but just that with when listening to digital recordings, CDs or files, there's always been something distinctly, yet elusively different between them and live music. Vinyl likewise is easily distinguishable as a recording instead of live music yet vinyl seems to share a certain something with live music that makes it more believable (for the record I don't currently own a vinyl rig).

I'm kind of hearing the same thing with the tube amp. The SS amps are missing that same whateveritis (how's that for an audiophile term) compared to the tube amp. Using the tube amp makes the experience much more believable or credible.

-

Frick - I just realized I may have to get into vinyl

Nov 1, 2008 at 6:10 PM Post #23 of 43
For your 6AS7s, you can also sustitute 6080 (meh, they are ok...noisy and not as musical), 5998 (said to be great), 7236 (hard to find, but very bass impactful), and 421A (WAY overpriced and essentially the same tube as the 5998).

For the ECC88, you have a lot of options, and some of the best/most treasured tubes around. Options include 6DJ8 (same type of tube as ECC88, which is the ERuropean designation of the 6DJ8), 6922/E88CC, 7308, Cca, 7DJ8...there are a lot of them. Click the last link I posted above and check out Brent's link for the 6DJ8 series...lots of good info there.

The tubes you have are the same families the Woo 3+ I have uses, and I'm keeping up a tuberolling thread for them. YMMV, but I describe these tubes' sound qualities and compare them (work in progress, by the way...). If you want to read up on them, read this.

Nov 1, 2008 at 9:23 PM Post #25 of 43
Quote:

I don't know...I guess not everyone that gets a tube amp actually obsesses about tubes, but I'm a huge history buff, and NOS tubes in particular are so appealing. I can't help but think about when they were made, where they've been, what they've been through. I'll look at a tube's date code, like say, a tube from June 1960, and think, "wow, when this was made, the Beatles hadn't happened yet, MGAs were still new (one of my fave cars), the Mid-Century Modern movement was in full swing, the Korean war just ended, this is a JAN tube...it was probably meant for an Army radio, maybe a B-52 bomber, maybe a Trident class sub...". I just get all nostalgic, but I'm like that with more than just tubes...

Oh yeah, I love that stuff, too! In April, I came across a stash of WW II JAN 832A tubes. Several were still untouched in their boxes, dated from 1944. My first impulse was to build an amp with them. (BTW: uk_martian_1)

But I've gotten all funny about these old, boxed tubes. How many more are like this?

So the WW II tubes are now in deep storage. I'm still going to build the Martian Amp, but I'll use the unboxed 832A tubes I got and might grab some of the Russian GU32s for it, as well.

Anyhow, jorosenth, if you start to go nuts over tubes, go pick up a copy of the RCA Receiving Tube Manual. Also, go browse the library at Pete Millett's site. There's a ton of information there - you can learn how tubes are built and work.

If you want to take it a step further, pay a visit to Boozhound Labs (Boozhound Laboratories) and go through their Vacuum Tube Hi-Fi Primer. That takes you through designing and building an amp; it is clear and connects the dots. Beyond that, read the books by Bruce Rozenblit and Morgan Jones.

Nov 2, 2008 at 5:15 AM Post #27 of 43
Quote:

....it was probably meant for an Army radio, maybe a B-52 bomber, maybe a Trident class sub...". I just get all nostalgic, but I'm like that with more than just tubes...

And they have amazing sonics too. The cool thing about the World War II military tubes is that it may have actually been out in battle or over seas somewhere. Some war tubes are also from Europe because American soldiers have left cases of tubes too as well as other U.S military related items before returning to the States. My Raytheon tubes from WW II have the U.S. Navy emblem on it and may have been have been used on a radar or radio. Thus, probably a part of history.

Feel the history brotha.

chewie0ol.gif

Nov 2, 2008 at 1:59 PM Post #29 of 43
I would suggest, as a starting point to not spend too much money, get an RCA 6AS7G (good sound, easy to get and cheap), and some JAN-Sylvania 6DJ8's (again,very good sound, and easy to get and fairly cheap - there are no truly cheap 6DJ8/6922's except bad reissues). This will provide truly excellent sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back