Oh Schiit, it's the end of the world! Announcing Ragnarok.
Aug 30, 2014 at 1:02 AM Post #211 of 626
never found any IEM that were comfortable enough to sit that for couple of hours or more and the 2nd issue would if I really liked the Rag + IEM combo I would need 2 car batteries to make it portable. this could be a little inconvenient but great exercise 
biggrin.gif

Yeah, I wouldn't plan on using the Ragnarok to drive my SE846's full time, but I am curious to see how they sound with a better amp than my Fiio E12.

Aug 30, 2014 at 9:39 PM Post #214 of 626
  I'm Sure that some of IEM would sound really great it is just a comfort issue for me

Not to derail this thread entirely, but I've never found a stock IEM that I could wear comfortably for more than an hour or two. Foam, soft rubber, flanged rubber, it doesn't matter. Have tried half a dozen different brands. Doesn't matter. Was (and am) convinced that for some people, they can just never be comfortable.

For me, custom IEMs are another matter entirely. I can wear my JH13s for 8 hour straight without it becoming unpleasant. They feel a little odd at first, but rigid plastic that's custom-shaped for your ear is incredibly comfortable for long-term enjoyment. YMMV, but the added cost to pursue this route was incredibly valuable for me; easily the most comfortable. It's a big leap of faith in terms of the expense if you're not convinced, but I am incredibly glad I made it.

Aug 30, 2014 at 9:56 PM Post #215 of 626
Some IEMs are good enough to use as main cans. I lived with only UERMs for a year+ using them 8 hrs a day every day, some days more.

Yep, my Roxanne's I can wear for a long time, even forget I have them in, 'cept for the music that is.

Aug 31, 2014 at 4:13 PM Post #218 of 626
Sep 1, 2014 at 3:15 PM Post #219 of 626
I knew beta-testing doesn't pay much but this is the first time I've seen somebody paying a $1500 deposit to beta-test. :)

At least it's better than Hifiman asking for free amp designs.

Sep 1, 2014 at 4:27 PM Post #220 of 626
Is the Ragnarok design to be a better headphone amp than the mjolnir?  What is known in the design so far that would indicate it?

Sep 1, 2014 at 4:44 PM Post #221 of 626
  Is the Ragnarok design to be a better headphone amp than the mjolnir?  What is known in the design so far that would indicate it?

It's different. Based on what we know without subjective listening evaluations:

Ragnarok will drive IEMs, headphones, and speakers. It can drive headphones wired for "balanced" drive or it can drive headphones wired single-ended drive.
Mjolnir will drive headphones. It can only drive headphones wired for balanced drive. 
So, Ragnarok has a lot more flexibility in terms of the devices it can drive.

Ragnarok has an output impedance of 0.03 ohms.
Mjonlir has an output impedance of 1.5 ohms.
So, Ragnarok will deliver a vastly higher damping factor than Mjolnir. This is good for driving speakers, but also will be an asset for (seriously) low-impedance headphones.

Ragnarok operates in class A until about 4W of bias.
Mjolnir operates in class A until about 2W of bias.
So, if you think class A is better, you'll spend more time in class A with Ragnarok.

Ragnarok runs hot and uses a lot of power. It uses more power when quiescent (75W) than Mjolnir ever uses.
Mjolnir uses 45W.
So, if you're trying to lower your power bills and leave your amps on all the time, Ragnarok is a bad idea.

Ragnarok has a ridiculous (in headphone terms) power delivery capability.
Mjolnir has a stupendous power delivery capability.
So, either one can drive any dynamic headphone out there. Ragnarok can drive more power into a load. It is also capable of melting your face. I don't know if this means it's better.

Ragnarok uses a sophisticated novel control system for the amplifier. 
Mjolnir uses DC servo control.
So, there may be huge benefits to Ragnarok's system. Or, being novel and innovative, it could be a complete disaster. So far it sounds pretty amazing on paper, but who knows. If you want something today that you know is a given quantity, the Mjolnir is better. Think we'll need to hear more subjective evaluations to get there.

Ragnarok uses a sophisticated relay-controlled resistor ladder to control gain.
Mjolnir uses a big dumb potentiometer. 
So, Ragnarok gives you a tremendous range of gain and in theory better channel level matching and other voodoo. It's also a far more complicated system, so see previous point. On paper Ragnarok's system is vastly superior.

There are probably many other dimensions to consider. With Ragnarok you're paying for a lot of stuff beyond the headphone amplifier, per se. There are far more sophisticated control systems and capabilities. In the realm of speculation, I have a hard time imagining it will be inferior to Mjolnir, what's not clear yet is how superior it will be?

Sep 1, 2014 at 4:47 PM Post #222 of 626

It's different. Based on what we know without subjective listening evaluations:

Ragnarok will drive IEMs, headphones, and speakers. It can drive headphones wired for "balanced" drive or it can drive headphones wired single-ended drive.
Mjolnir will drive headphones. It can only drive headphones wired for balanced drive. 
So, Ragnarok has a lot more flexibility in terms of the devices it can drive.

Ragnarok has an output impedance of 0.03 ohms.
Mjonlir has an output impedance of 1.5 ohms.
So, Ragnarok will deliver a vastly higher damping factor than Mjolnir. This is good for driving speakers, but also will be an asset for (seriously) low-impedance headphones.

Ragnarok operates in class A until about 4W of bias.
Mjolnir operates in class A until about 2W of bias.
So, if you think class A is better, you'll spend more time in class A with Ragnarok.

Ragnarok runs hot and uses a lot of power. It uses more power when quiescent (75W) than Mjolnir ever uses.
Mjolnir uses 45W.
So, if you're trying to lower your power bills and leave your amps on all the time, Ragnarok is a bad idea.

Ragnarok has a ridiculous (in headphone terms) power delivery capability.
Mjolnir has a stupendous power delivery capability.
So, either one can drive any dynamic headphone out there. Ragnarok can drive more power into a load. It is also capable of melting your face. I don't know if this means it's better.

Ragnarok uses a sophisticated novel control system for the amplifier. 
Mjolnir doesn't.
So, there may be huge benefits to this system. Or, being novel and innovative, it could be a complete disaster. So far it sounds pretty amazing on paper, but who knows. If you want something today that you know is a given quantity, the Mjolnir is better. Think we'll need to hear more subjective evaluations to get there.

Ragnarok uses a sophisticated relay-controlled resistor ladder to control gain.
Mjolnir uses a big dumb potentiometer. 
So, Ragnarok gives you a tremendous range of gain and in theory better channel level matching and other voodoo. It's also a far more complicated system, so see previous point. On paper Ragnarok's system is vastly superior.

There are probably many other dimensions to consider. With Ragnarok you're paying for a lot of stuff beyond the headphone amplifier, per se. There are far more sophisticated control systems and capabilities. In the realm of speculation, I have a hard time imagining it will be inferior to Mjolnir, what's not clear yet is how superior it will be?

Well stated.

Sep 1, 2014 at 4:53 PM Post #223 of 626
What an excellent summary atubbs :beerchug:

One could add - from Jason's recent chapter in his thread about how Schitt came to be - no capacitors and no (DC?) servos in the signal path. I'm no EE but I gather this means a cleaner signal.

Sep 1, 2014 at 6:33 PM Post #224 of 626
Thanks for the great reply atubbs.  I guess I will have to wait.  Hope the non beta people could get it before the end of the October.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back