Oh Schiit, it's the end of the world! Announcing Ragnarok.
Aug 24, 2014 at 7:28 PM Post #121 of 626
  It really didn't explain much.  More like an overview.

So, the intimation is that amps designed for speakers can get away with murder compared to amps for headphones. So, vintage integrated speaker amps probably aren't particularly glorious with a set of headphones. Probably.

Ragnarok is discrete. It's not a given that an op-amp is inferior to a discrete design. A well-made discrete design may be preferable to a well-made op-amp (based on popular opinion here and on what Jason's said).

But, you're asking about hypotheticals and generalizations versus a product that statistically nobody has experience with. What are you expecting?

Aug 24, 2014 at 7:51 PM Post #122 of 626

Back and Orange! Kewlllll. Halloween is coming up. BTW, I know British Racing Green, but what shade is BRO?

Schiit gear is of course anodized rather than painted, but I'm not sure how much difference in heat dissipation capability there is between the two finishes. With the smaller amps it's probably not an issue, but I suspect that Ragnarok is closer to the edge of overheating than many other amps, especially when used with speakers; that's why Rag moves out of Class A at four watts rather than six or ten or whatever. I would think that with the microprocessor it would be easy to reset the A/B transition point. In fact I'd love a knob which lets the user choose. But I know what Jason would say - more complexity, more expense and it would give us OCD Head-fiers one more thing to play with/complain about.

Don't know, my XS are in black and the cable is a nice orange, looks sharp. The orange I am thinking about was used with newer mustangs and as well with the new Dodge Challenger. Looks sharp. Colour isn't for the faint of heart! All my gear is silver which I like best anyway.

Aug 24, 2014 at 8:42 PM Post #123 of 626
Yeah, I know that is where I got it from, but how is their implement better than what those 2 items that was mention.  I not an EE so I don't know much about those items.

Aug 24, 2014 at 11:39 PM Post #124 of 626
Well by using a voltage divider you end up with a high output impedance which can ruin the damping factor, they also don't load the amplifier the same way a driver across the output would.

As for the op-amp separate headphone amplifier section, well that completely defeats the purpose of having a high quality amplifier since it will likely be an afterthought low power amplifier. 

In order to compare to the Rag. you'd simply hook up to the speaker taps. 

The Rag. however adds multiple gain settings, which you won't get with most power amps, is designed with a much wider load impedance than 4-16Ohm. Not all amplifiers will play nicely with the minuscule load of a headphone. Especially tube amps.

Aug 24, 2014 at 11:53 PM Post #125 of 626
The beginning of the end of the world starts tomorrow. Applications closing on the 25th. :)

Aug 24, 2014 at 11:56 PM Post #126 of 626
I don't think I've been this anxious to hear whether I got accepted since I applied to colleges fifteen years ago.

(Actually, I don't think I cared as much about any particular college as I do for... getting a new amp a few weeks early.)

Aug 25, 2014 at 1:09 AM Post #127 of 626
Well I hope I could get in and compare the Rag to my vintage integrated amp.  I would have like it even more if it was a tube amp thought.

Aug 25, 2014 at 6:22 AM Post #128 of 626
Aug 25, 2014 at 4:05 PM Post #129 of 626
Well I hope I could get in and compare the Rag to my vintage integrated amp.  I would have like it even more if it was a tube amp thought.

Hi Kokushu,

I'm in the same boat as you as my best headphone amp is in a vintage speaker amp. That amp is currently used only for that purpose, for speakers I have more recent, tube/MOSFET hybrid amps.
If you don't mind my asking, what vintage amp do you use?
It would be great to have a beta tester who can speak from that kind of perspective! :)

Twinkle

Aug 25, 2014 at 9:03 PM Post #130 of 626
I have a yamaha ca 1010 and marantz 1152dc both are integrated and not receiver.  I am currently using the yamaha as the primary for my speaker and single ended headphone.  My puredac handle the balanced headphone.

Aug 26, 2014 at 3:55 AM Post #131 of 626
Sign-up is closed...

[VIDEO]http://youtu.be/LBsiHCtkWPk[/VIDEO]

Aug 26, 2014 at 3:20 PM Post #133 of 626
Anybody hear from Schiit yet?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back