Oh man!!!!! 650's in my hands already!!!!!!
Feb 20, 2004 at 7:37 AM Post #31 of 112
Quote:

Originally posted by cmascatello
Where'd you get the stand for the cans? I need to get a slick holder for the 650s. I am so used to just tossing the canalphones to my second computer desk that there is an adjustment period for me with the Senns. I would love a holder that has a small footprint and would blend in with the rest of the office. I was thinking that a funky mannequin head would be a way to go too but I am worried about stretching the headband with the "perma-head".

I'll have to find out myself
biggrin.gif
It was either Walmart or Target if I remember well. I need to get another one of these myself, hope to be able to find at least a very similar one. I'll try to look for one tomorrow, will let you know.

Cheers,
Raul

Feb 20, 2004 at 7:43 AM Post #32 of 112
Quote:

Originally posted by Edwood
Ah yes. Headroom has 2 Day FedEx as their default shipping. I guess we're all just too impatient.

Very nice pics, btw. Thanks for sharing.

-Ed

Ah didn't know it was their standard shipping method, it's really great they do the fast shipping indeed. Thanks for the compliment on the pics Edwood
biggrin.gif

Cheers,
Raul

Feb 20, 2004 at 3:13 PM Post #35 of 112
Raul: Congrats on your system, buddy, and welcome to the wonderful world of Sennheiser 6x0 tweakdom. The 650's will benefit from anything you care to throw at them - better source= better sound, better recordings=better sound, better amp=better sound, better cables=better sound - kind of like getting new cans with each step. That's been my experience, at least, with both 600's and 650's. It seems that they are never the limiting factor in the chain.

As wmcmanus said, I know the kind of thought and consideration youi put into selecting your components, and am thrilled to hear that it is coming together so well for you.

When you get that modded 500 back from Matthew, I can't wait to hear your reaction to Rebecca Pigeon and Diana Krall with your new rig.

Oh, yeah - awesome photos - you gotta come down to my place and do a layout for me
tongue.gif

Feb 20, 2004 at 4:51 PM Post #37 of 112
Gene the wonderful world of Sennheiser tweakdom feels encouraging but at the same time a little scary, Senn's getting better with anything already sounds like a fugue of sorries for my wallet
biggrin.gif

Well despite the fact that yes visiting Head-fi makes you spend some money, I want to say thanks to everyone at Head-Fi for helping me find information and discuss pros and cons in the last few months, that eventually helped me make the decision and go for it assembling this rig. I really have to say thank you in particular to you Gene, Wayne, Matt, Guru, and everyone at the South FL meet, for helping me audition so many headphones and systems, which was a great learning experience.

Ihmemies, I see a cousin 650 with a Corda!!
biggrin.gif
Gee have to try to put some of my pics in some webpage in a similar large size, wish HeadFi allowed slightly larger pics.

Cmascatello, went to Walmart already, they still have the same banana hanger I have!! Costs only $4.88, are made by "Ecko". They only had two and I bought both
biggrin.gif
If it was an audio store selling them I'm sure they would go for more than $30. The little tag says they are made of chrome finished steel.

Warubozu thanks! I remember you were also getting the Perreaux right? Happy listening!

Cheers,
Raul

Feb 20, 2004 at 4:58 PM Post #38 of 112
Finally you've hit the right nerve...

Just to give the peeps a background - Raul had been VERY pleased with his SR-60's until the South Florida meet where he became obssessed with the HP1's and the MicroZOTL
tongue.gif

Since then he has been reading, looking, listening, learning, trashing around sleeplessly, playing PS2....

Until he chose the HD-650 and the Perreaux SHX-1 (which is where I offered my profound knowledge, experience and expert advice
very_evil_smiley.gif
)

Im very good with things I cannot afford
tongue.gif
rolleyes.gif
LOL

RAUL - You deserved a great system - once the source and cables (IC and Headphone) join the party, you should go MIA for many years until you are driven by the need for something new.

I will be participating in all future meets around FL but I refuse to listen to anyone's setup unless I have the $$$ to show for it
tongue.gif

RAUl - got any nice PS2 games you wanna sell ??
very_evil_smiley.gif

Feb 20, 2004 at 5:15 PM Post #39 of 112
Quote:

Originally posted by rsaavedr
Ok Ian I think I'll get some new IC's maybe before the Sony comes back beautifully modded. What cable suggestions are out there for IC's, short ones, maybe 1m (3 feet) or less? Also what's a good place to buy them?

Well I make my own so can't help you there. Just be sure to get one from a place which lets you try out various ones.

Enjoy your new phones.

Feb 20, 2004 at 5:18 PM Post #40 of 112
Hey Guru!

Yes I did fall in love with the MicroZOTL+HP's, but gee both are too expensive.

Actually, now that you mention it, interestingly I decided to go for the 650's and Perreaux without having ever listened to either one of them. But I had listened to the 600's, and from readings at Headfi I kind of got a feeling of why I had liked the MicroZOTL and the HP's, and I did like the MicroZOTL+600's also, remember our post-mini-meet with Wayne at your place? (Though not as much as with the HP's for sure, I thought it was a great combo too). But I didn't want to go tubes, at least not for now, to avoid the complications of tube rolling etc., and I ruled out the HP's because of their cost.

Did a sort of reverse engineering out of readings on equipment I have not auditioned, trying to infer how I would like them, and put it together with the suggestions from you guys and other headfiers, and my own memories of the exposure to headphones at the South FL meet, and concluded that the Perreaux and 650's would more than likely provide a very enjoyable sound that I would like.

(edit: decided not to get the AKG's for now, and instead get a replacement cable for the 650's)

PS2 games I have a few: Twisted Metal Black, GTA3, GTAViceCity, Time Splitters 2, Jak &Dexter, Jak2, FFX, Metal Gear Solid), but not for sale
evil_smiley.gif
Even though I really don't play that frequently, some weekends I spend hours in a row playing, enjoy them too much to part with them
biggrin.gif

Cheers,
Raul

Feb 20, 2004 at 5:31 PM Post #41 of 112
rsaavedr...

...welcome to team HD 650!

peacesign.gif

Feb 20, 2004 at 5:36 PM Post #42 of 112
Quote:

Originally posted by lan
Well I make my own so can't help you there. Just be sure to get one from a place which lets you try out various ones.

Enjoy your new phones.

Wish I knew how to make interconnect cables, kind of understand how they would be assembled, but I have no experience or skill on that. Have only made some custom speaker cables (using Radio Shack solid core hookup wire after reading Stereophile's recommendation long ago), but with no termination other than the cables pealed off in the end, those are easy to make
biggrin.gif
First hunch is to go for the Audioquests recommended by JMT, but still searching. Thanks Ian!
Cheers,
Raul

Feb 20, 2004 at 5:44 PM Post #44 of 112
rsaavedr

Good choice - visual, auditory,olfactory and tactile what else would you need - other than gustatory! No, I draw the line at licking my h0650s.

Its nice to hear from someone else who has just opened the little ribbed silver box and found an ear to ear grin! My HD650s are just over a week old and my Solo is winging its way to me from England as I write.

Anticipation is fine but the reality is far better.

Happy listening

Brad

Users who are viewing this thread

Back