Oh isn't this fantastic--Yet another recommendation thread.
Apr 19, 2007 at 12:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

factorial

New Head-Fier
Hello Head-Fi:

I'm sorry for yet another recommendation thread from a 1-post-count noob, but from what I've gathered, this is the best place to ask questions regarding headphones on the internet.

I'm a poor college student looking to get some decent cans. From everything I've read, I think I like the Grados (SR60's or 80's) the best. But reading threads here, I'm starting to wonder if thats the right choice for me. I'm looking for something that's capable as portable and home phones for now (clearly, a separate pair for each would be ideal, but thats for another time).

For me, the typical ideal listening time is on the bus to and from school, which gives me 2-3 hours per day of quality listening time. The busses are pretty loud themselves, but tolerable depending wherein you're located. They are, however, packed extremely, so as a courtesy I wouldnt like to leak that much, though its not like its deadly-silent on the bus. Other uses would be at home for the computer, walking around, and such.

This begs the question: why am i into the grados then? Well, I like what I read about them regarding their treatment of the highs and mediums, and that theyre the ideal headphones for rock. The music I'd be listening to the most would be rock, both bassy and acoustic, and bassy house, electro, electroclash. So bass would be good... Also, I like the retro, open, look they have.

Also, I'm reading more and more about all these phones requiring amps. I'm not sure if I want to tie another piece of electronics to myself, considering the video ipod i'd be attaching the phones to is already bulky as it is. How big are they? Are they even necessary? I'd like to learn more about this.

So my question to you guys is, what headphones should I consider (or stick with the Grados) in the price range up to 150ish (see: poor college kid).

Thank you in advance,

fac

P.S. One more question, regarding the foams. Are there different coloured ones available, and if so, where can one find them?

Apr 19, 2007 at 1:02 AM Post #2 of 11
Because you seem to need isolation first (and Grados don't isolate...they leak like a sieve), I'd say try a pair of IEM's first. I don't have too much first hand experience with the higher end IEMs but the modded Marshmallows sound pretty good (see JVC HX33 and 55). These won't break the bank either, coming in at $30-40 dollars or even less. If the isolation doesn't suit you or the sound doesn't , you still have enough dough left to take a plunge on the SR60 or SR80 if you wanted to go with either.

Apr 19, 2007 at 1:05 AM Post #3 of 11
welcome to headfi!
grados wouldn't work out on a bus. you'd be hearing the bus motor and the talking of your peers so you'd have to turn up your music, which is a bad thing.
not only would this cause hearing damage, but people could hear your music as well.
i think you should look into buying two separate headphones
etymotic er6i for really nice isolation. its like wearing earplugs.
but if you want to be more social, creative ep630. a lot cheaper than the er6i, but are supposed to sound really nice.

as for your home can
if you get the etymotics, you can buy a pair of new sr60 and be just in your budget or snag a used pair in the FS forums.
if you get the creatives, your budget allows you to get something more expensive. i suggest the alessandro ms1.

as for the different pads, you're looking at
comfies - included in sr60 and ms1, haven't heard em yet
bowls - in all other grados/alessandros
hd414 - from sennheiser, my personal favorite pad for my ms2i
modded hd414 - cut a quarter or half dollar sized hole in the pad, then putting i on backwards, making it a bowl/hd414 hybrid
flats - most expensive, haven't heard em yet

Apr 19, 2007 at 1:07 AM Post #4 of 11
Here's just one option, and I think you'd be better off with a closed headphone which will block out noise, and keep in the music
smily_headphones1.gif

If you've never been to the HeadRoom site I believe you will enjoy browsing the many temptations.
biggrin.gif

Apr 19, 2007 at 1:09 AM Post #5 of 11
Hey Factorial,
Welcome to head-fi, sorry about your wallet!
280smile.gif

Well you say you're going to be on the bus and don't want to disturb people. Then I'll recommend something other than the Grado route. I had the sr80, and it leaked like crazy both inwards and outwards. So you're going to hear the bus' engine very clearly, and people are going to hear what you hear, very clearly. Also, there are a few options out there that would suit your needs. For one, you like your bass, but don't want an amp. For starters, that sounds like the AKG K81 DJ will be up your way. A little research will reveal if it is or not. In a nutshell, they're bassy, and closed.

As far as other options go, I'll leave that to more knowledgeable head-fiers.

Good luck, later!
smily_headphones1.gif

*edit* Ahh, everyone got to it before me! Yea, what everyone said is on point.

Apr 19, 2007 at 1:09 AM Post #6 of 11
Well, if you want to be courteous, then I don't think Grado's are for you. I think you should instead look into some quality IEM's for around the same price. The Etymotic ER-6i's are great for their isolation and sound, which is comparable to the SR-60's in that the highs are extremely airy and there is alot of detail in the music.

Apr 19, 2007 at 1:41 AM Post #7 of 11
Another first time poster here.
Most of my listening is on public transit as well so I've tried a few different headphones for that. First were some used Bose QC1s which absolutely amazed me with how they cut out the noise of the engine but they are huge, expensive, and I really wasn't impressed with the sound after I got over the shock of my first noise cancelling headphones. Next I got some Sennheiser PXC 250s and the noise cancelling wasn't quite as good as the QC1s but I liked the sound a bit better but something in the noise cancelling stick(whatever you call that thing) has gone haywire and now I just get some nasty feedback in my right ear when I turn the noise cancelling on.

After doing some searching online to see what I should try next I found this site. Many searches later I decided to try the Marshmallows which are cheap and seem to be earplugs that play music. For what I paid, $25 Canadian, I'm very happy with them so far and nobody has to be sorry about my wallet yet.

Apr 19, 2007 at 1:44 AM Post #8 of 11
Agreed with all that's been said by personal experience. In noisy environments this IS especially when IEMs clearly outperform open phones, ie my Grados on a few 3hr recent flights, I was so thankful to have my AL iM716 with bass boost, much beter details and articulate vocals presentation. Also, the neighbors were thankful too , I think ;-}

Although, as Den82 said, I also read those closed AKG K81 DJs may well be something to research, meeting your criteria. Lots of utility for very little cost w/out amping, (I believe) ...

Good luck~

Apr 19, 2007 at 5:06 AM Post #9 of 11
Thanks to all of you guys for the responses

As far as the recommendations, I checked them all out. From what I've seen, the AKG K81 Dj does look like something I like. Also, very grateful about the suggestion of the Marshmallows*. They could solve some problems..

Yeah, I think you guys are right that isolation is what I need. To which end IEM would be good, but I've always been a bit hesitant with earbuds. Just... something about them, probably something related with bad experiences with scheisse like the ibuds, something I ought to get over. Another thing I've got to consider is 1) rain (it's pretty rainy here in Vancouver...), 2) I'm accident prone. Headphones are durable though, right? I guess that's a notch for earbuds.

From what I've looked at here's what im thinking about, and it looks like thanks to this forum I could have more money for beer and pizza:

A) AKG K81 Dj
B) Grado SR60 + JVC HX33 marshmallows
C) Ety ER6i

..also, whats the scoop on the HD-555? Looks like glowing reviews, but would they work for me? Do they need amping?

*What do you mean about modding the marshmallows?

Apr 19, 2007 at 6:01 AM Post #11 of 11
I have extensively used both Ety and Shure IEM's (ER-4P and E4c). They both sound great and do a fantastic job at isolation. When I bought the Shures they came with a wide variety of tips that give a varying amount of isolation, but the flanged rubber tips (like the Ety) give the best isolation. They're what I use on airplanes. They're what I would use on the bus. I've used them in my one-room studio when I was recording guys playing acoustic drum kits. I've even used them while cutting brush with a gas powered chainsaw. In all these situations they let me listen to even classical music at moderate volume. And yes, they're great for rock. Try either pair and, once you get past the initial discomfort, you'll be pleased. It is important to note that these take some getting used to. I haven't met anybody, yet, that thought they were comfortable the first few times they used them, but mine have become - after extensive use - quite comfortable. It just takes some time. Of course, they sound glorious right out of the box.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back