Oh fudge, RS1 right driver just cut out
Jul 24, 2007 at 11:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

Rav

1000+ Head-Fier
frown.gif
damn, just like that, seems like a loose connection somewhere, but the solder joints look well attached.

Anyone have any experience of sending Grados internationally for repair? costs/time/procedures etc would be nice to know. Time to email grado i suppose...

Edit, old thread bumped, they're back, see post #20.

Jul 25, 2007 at 1:10 AM Post #3 of 23
Wiggle the y-joint and where the cable goes into the plug. I'm betting on y-joint, the classic Grado intermittent-channel culprit. Luckily a cheap and easy fix: either an excuse for a recable or to send them back to Brooklyn to be tinkered.

Jul 25, 2007 at 1:21 AM Post #4 of 23
might be cheaper to just re-cable it (if that's the problem).

And you wont have to wait as long.

I have a extra ms-1 cable if you want it, idk if the rs-1 has a better cable or not though.

Jul 25, 2007 at 4:28 PM Post #5 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
are they new or used.

Used, wood box era.

Quote:

Originally Posted by facelvega /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wiggle the y-joint and where the cable goes into the plug. I'm betting on y-joint, the classic Grado intermittent-channel culprit. Luckily a cheap and easy fix: either an excuse for a recable or to send them back to Brooklyn to be tinkered.

Yeah, that's what i'm thinking too, can't seem to find a spot where it works all the time. Problem is Brooklyn is about 5000 miles and a large ocean away.

Quote:

Originally Posted by xnothingpoetic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
might be cheaper to just re-cable it (if that's the problem).

And you wont have to wait as long.

I have a extra ms-1 cable if you want it, idk if the rs-1 has a better cable or not though.

Thanks for the offer, not sure if i want to try and open them though, and i'd probably go for a cable upgrade if i did.

Jul 25, 2007 at 5:52 PM Post #6 of 23
lol sorry, I forgot about the wood housing. I wouldn't dare open them up either.

Jul 25, 2007 at 6:05 PM Post #7 of 23
I'm not sure about the construction of the Grados...but did you try checking the OTHER end of the wire? Maybe the problem is around there. I know I play synths, guitars, and many other instruments...and there's been MANY times that the interconnect or phonojack has crapped out. Just a thought. :-\ If the ACTUAL cable just crapped out.... I'd think that it may cut in and out rather than ...just be gone forever. idk though, good luck figuring it out.

Jul 25, 2007 at 6:19 PM Post #8 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by eightbitpotion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not sure about the construction of the Grados...but did you try checking the OTHER end of the wire? Maybe the problem is around there. I know I play synths, guitars, and many other instruments...and there's been MANY times that the interconnect or phonojack has crapped out. Just a thought. :-\ If the ACTUAL cable just crapped out.... I'd think that it may cut in and out rather than ...just be gone forever. idk though, good luck figuring it out.

Yeah, with some wiggling it does cut in and out, but not enough to stay on all the time. It's the same in a different system, and different phones work in the RS1 system.

Jul 25, 2007 at 6:30 PM Post #9 of 23
Same thing happened with my SA5000 - a dodgy cable in the right side. Join the club
eggosmile.gif

I've read that recabling the RS1 is quite a bit more difficult than other headphones because of the enclosures being glued together, or something. Hope you can get it fixed. (waiting for someone to come along and tell me otherwise
rs1smile.gif
)

Jul 25, 2007 at 7:01 PM Post #10 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by DJShadow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've read that recabling the RS1 is quite a bit more difficult than other headphones because of the enclosures being glued together, or something. Hope you can get it fixed. (waiting for someone to come along and tell me otherwise
rs1smile.gif
)

Yeah, it's one continuous piece of wood, and the drivers are glued in. Apparently the glue is water soluble, but i don't know if i want to chance it.

Pretty confident Grado can fix it, not sure what it's going to cost me, however.

Jul 25, 2007 at 7:32 PM Post #11 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rav /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, it's one continuous piece of wood, and the drivers are glued in. Apparently the glue is water soluble, but i don't know if i want to chance it.

Pretty confident Grado can fix it, not sure what it's going to cost me, however.

Gosh, please don't attempt to open the enclosures or fix yourself. It may be worth sending back to Grado to repair. To date, wellywu may be (if I recall) the only individual from HF that has opened and repaired a RS phone successfully and because the drivers are glued into the enclosures and certain temp perameters exist in these phones' mait, I would send them in..Not to mention the vintage nature of your pair, I would opt to have fixed professionally..

good luck to you, not counting customs interaction, usually repair like this one is not much more than the shipping charges, but the client services folks in NY can let you know. Ask for Kim or John, typically Grado is great-o..wait a min

Jul 25, 2007 at 8:23 PM Post #12 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Audiofiler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Gosh, please don't attempt to open the enclosures or fix yourself. It may be worth sending back to Grado to repair. To date, wellywu may be (if I recall) the only individual from HF that has opened and repaired a RS phone successfully and because the drivers are glued into the enclosures and certain temp perameters exist in these phones' mait, I would send them in..Not to mention the vintage nature of your pair, I would opt to have fixed professionally..

good luck to you, not counting customs interaction, usually repair like this one is not much more than the shipping charges, but the client services folks in NY can let you know. Ask for Kim or John, typically Grado is great-o..wait a min

I wasn't going to even try to repair them myself. Maybe if they were 325 or below, or i could see an easy way to get them apart, but they're very well glued into place.

I'll enquire at the post office about customs charges ... but do they really have the right to charge me for import duty on something i already own? I could concede duty paid on the service rendered ... but then the tax man thinks he owns it all already :\

Jul 25, 2007 at 8:47 PM Post #13 of 23
i totally freaked out about this last night when my GS1000 wasn't playing music out of my left ear. turned out to be an IC got unplugged from the Melos behind the amp when my wife flipped the light switch on - finger popped it right out, didn't bother to even tell me it happened. you dont want to know everything i tried before i found the "break" in the chain...

Jul 25, 2007 at 8:56 PM Post #14 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i totally freaked out about this last night when my GS1000 wasn't playing music out of my left ear. turned out to be an IC got unplugged from the Melos behind the amp when my wife flipped the light switch on - finger popped it right out, didn't bother to even tell me it happened. you dont want to know everything i tried before i found the "break" in the chain...

Been there myself, you don't think an IC will come apart as easily as it does sometimes.

At least if you had a problem, you wouldn't have so far to send it in
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back