Oh Crikey! The crocodile hunter is Dead!
Sep 5, 2006 at 3:22 AM Post #76 of 104
The News Media did the same thing when Michael Jackson held his child off a balcony. I think the media still does use that clip.

Sep 5, 2006 at 3:33 AM Post #77 of 104
Considering the various dangerous animals he consistently worked with it's strange that he died to a animal normally not considered to be so dangerous. Even an expert such as he is not invincible, though...

Sep 5, 2006 at 3:42 AM Post #78 of 104
It blew my mind when I found out about this. I haven't watched Crocodile Hunter in ages, but I used to love his show, and I have to say that I'll really miss him. I don't think I'll be able to ever watch it again now - it would just be too weird.

Sep 5, 2006 at 4:34 AM Post #80 of 104
Quote:

Are the moderators going to take on the role of tact or good taste police? That would be a sad state of affairs indeed.

When it comes to a topic like the announcement of the recent death of someone ... especially someone who is widely respected ... and as long as there are members who feel it's OK to insult, ridicule, and make jokes about that person in a thread where most are expressing their condolences, then the answer is yes. The true "sad state of affairs" is that a small group of insensitve people force us to intervene.

Head-fi expects, and has always expected, members to act with the same level of maturity they would be expected to exhibit in any normal, real-world public gathering of people. This holds true for among other things, the use of obscene language, the making of sexist and racist comments, and respect for the recently deceased. The old saying "if you can't say something positive, don't say anything at all", is extremely applicable in this particular circumstance.

I doubt very much any of the comedians or critics here would make public wise cracks about this, or any other person at his funeral or in a room full of strangers who liked the guy. Why should it be allowed here in a thread announcing this man's death? Unless the dead person is some sort of criminal monster, the majority of people in the world expect a certain level of maturity and respect in these circumstances.

Would you be so liberal, cavalier, and freedom of speech gung-ho if this thread was discussing your recently deceased mother, father, sister, brother?

I didn't think so.

Zanth has already clearly explained this rationale and has further explained that if anyone, for whatever reason, is compelled to criticize, insult, or ridicule this person who has just died and left behind a grieving family, then start your own thread and have at it. But don't feel it's your God-given or constitutional right to insult, criticiize, and ridicule the man in a thread where people are paying their respects.

Like it or not, any further thread craps and off topic arguments in this thread will be removed without further explanation.

Sep 5, 2006 at 4:54 AM Post #81 of 104
There is a difference between being at a funeral among grieving family members and in a public forum, discussing a rather ironic death of a public figure where there are no family members present. This is also quite different from racist/sexist remarks which may impact others on the forum. A little subtlety of differentiation is in order.

Sep 5, 2006 at 5:19 AM Post #82 of 104
Sad news. RIP Steve. You are a true pioneer in your field.

Sep 5, 2006 at 5:59 AM Post #83 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by bifcake
There is a difference between being at a funeral among grieving family members and in a public forum, discussing a rather ironic death of a public figure where there are no family members present. This is also quite different from racist/sexist remarks which may impact others on the forum. A little subtlety of differentiation is in order.

Maybe, but why do you insist on continuing to comment about the matter?

Two moderators have now taken the time to carefully explain their positions. You might not agree with them, but please respect their call. As they see it, it's a simple matter of respect. They want to keep this death announcement thread as clean and non-controversial as possible. You may see the matter differently, but they've asked you to just let it go, at least in this particular thread.

So many times in meeting moderating challenges, we must go by our gut instincts. There isn't always an absolutely right or wrong approach to take and no matter how we might decide to deal with a sitaution, someone will be unhappy. But we do the best we can and submit our time cards at the end of each week at our agreed billable rate of $0.00 per hour. I have a hard time understanding why people have a hard time in understanding that.

It's not like we're afraid of constructive criticism, or that we think we know all of the answers, or that we get off on some kind of power trip. It's really not that big of a thrill, despite what some people might think. It's just that it makes our jobs harder to be constantly rebuked, even over the simplest of matters.

Sep 5, 2006 at 6:10 AM Post #84 of 104
I fully agree Wmcmanus. Now, on to remembering Steve Irwin. I still can't believe he's gone. I spent some time tonight this evening watching the non-stop Crocodile Hunter episodes playing on Animal Planet in remembrance of him, and I really find it hard to come to grips with the fact that he is gone. I feel terribly for his family, as he seems like a very special person, and for those close to him, losing him in his prime like this (and with his children at their young ages) must be unimaginably difficult.

Sep 5, 2006 at 6:51 AM Post #85 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by Genetic
In this particular case any good biologist will desagree with the strict and exclusive obligation to pay respect to the man without the right to speak about his circus methods.

Amicalement

PS

Yes the man is dead but his death is a direct consequence of his need to put a good show.

What?? Please elaborate specifically on incorrect animal handling methods. Refer to actual experience you have with same animals. Also, list better methods of relocating crocs in such a way that they do not have to be sedated, which is dangerous. Also please list your experience at conservation campaigning.

How many zoos have you owned and ran in the past? How many were successful?

I'm all ears. Go ahead, elaborate.

Sep 5, 2006 at 7:26 AM Post #86 of 104
Wow. I was a big fan of his show. Sure it was mostly entertainment, but I learned a lot about the various animals on his shows. I especially loved when he went on Leno. I obviously did not know him personally, but he sure seemed like nice guy with the best intentions for the animals. He was the kind of TV persona that you just can't help but smile when you see his show; he was full of character and exitement. So long, mate.

Sep 5, 2006 at 7:33 AM Post #87 of 104
If you want to reserve this particular thread for the emotional outpouring, then that's fair enough. I was under the impression this was going to be applied across the board.

Sep 5, 2006 at 7:45 AM Post #88 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by roadtonowhere08
Wow. I was a big fan of his show. Sure it was mostly entertainment, but I learned a lot about the various animals on his shows. I especially loved when he went on Leno. I obviously did not know him personally, but he sure seemed like nice guy with the best intentions for the animals. He was the kind of TV persona that you just can't help but smile when you see his show; he was full of character and exitement. So long, mate.

The closest I ever got, besides adopting a tiger from Australia zoo and getting the autographed picture and all that, was while I was at the zoo in Tallin, Estonia, I took some pics of how not to have a zoo. One of places I emailed was the main address at Australia zoo, they were the only ones to reply. Saying yes, that looked sad, explaining how zoos should work together to share information, and all that. Nice email, thanking me for the contact info to Estonia.

A couple of months later, it's in the local newspaper about a couple of bears from the zoo in Estonia going to replenish some breeding programs in zoos in Australia. Coincedence? Perhaps, but I doubt it.
biggrin.gif

Sep 5, 2006 at 8:23 AM Post #90 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by Genetic
In this particular case any good biologist will desagree with the strict and exclusive obligation to pay respect to the man without the right to speak about his circus methods.

Amicalement

PS

Yes the man is dead but his death is a direct consequence of his need to put a good show.

Ignorance kills what it doesn't know.

Amicalement

Users who are viewing this thread

Back