Oficial? NFB-11.38 Special Limited Edition
Jun 5, 2018 at 10:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 44

Douglaster

New Head-Fier
Let´s get started :ksc75smile:

N11383.jpg

http://audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/NFB1138/NFB1138EN.htm

(Limit 100 unit and before 15th. June 2018)

Discrete DAC+ Headphone amplifier / Preamplifier
DSD , DXD support from USB
32bit / 384K Sabre ES9038 Pro
32bit / 384K Asynchronous Amanero
A femtosecond TCXO built in

----

So, having used a NFB-11 (burned by a friend that forgot it was 110v :deadhorse:) and have just ordered a NFB-11.38, i believe it´s time for it to have it´s own topic.

Anyone with one already ? What are your perceptions and feelings so far ?

I will be using mine with my beloved Beyer T1.1.

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2018 at 12:07 AM Post #3 of 44
My unit shipped today.

After joining the latest HD6XX drop I started looking for a AMP/DAC to upgrade from a Xonar STX Essense. Debated getting a basic Schiit stack but ended up going with the NFB-11.38 after reading many good things about audio-gd.

Ordering process was quick. A couple of emails back and forth.

I figure it's way more than I need but will be a spend once piece of gear. I'm looking forward to see what more experienced hifi users have to say about this particular audio-gd product when reviews come out.

Jun 16, 2018 at 12:47 AM Post #4 of 44
I recently bought an R2R-11 and am very happy with it. Also the ordering process went quite smoothly.

I needed another DAC / amp for another room in my house, so yesterday I ordered an NFB-11.38. I'm looking forward to comparing it with the R2R-11, and I'm also very interested to hear what the reviewers have to say.

Jun 18, 2018 at 11:54 AM Post #5 of 44
I recently bought an R2R-11 and am very happy with it. Also the ordering process went quite smoothly.

I needed another DAC / amp for another room in my house, so yesterday I ordered an NFB-11.38. I'm looking forward to comparing it with the R2R-11, and I'm also very interested to hear what the reviewers have to say.

Very nice ! It would be perfect to see your impressions on both !

My unit shipped today.

After joining the latest HD6XX drop I started looking for a AMP/DAC to upgrade from a Xonar STX Essense. Debated getting a basic Schiit stack but ended up going with the NFB-11.38 after reading many good things about audio-gd.

Ordering process was quick. A couple of emails back and forth.

I figure it's way more than I need but will be a spend once piece of gear. I'm looking forward to see what more experienced hifi users have to say about this particular audio-gd product when reviews come out.

Mine is on the way too. Should receive it before July (i hope).

Jun 28, 2018 at 12:01 AM Post #6 of 44
And so, has NFB 11.38 already arrived in their respective homes? I would very much like to read some impressions about it and maybe some comparisons with NFB 11.28 and R2R 11. :L3000:

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2018 at 6:23 PM Post #7 of 44
Folks, newbie here... I received my 11.38 in the last week and need advice as to the best way to set it up.

To start with let me say that my question is about the windows drivers and how best to install and configure them... I have seen with some trepidation all around the net that the Audio-GD devices are a bear to set up to get the best out of them.

Some background on how I am using it and what I have already done...

First - it will be fed by USB from a Win 10 laptop running Tidal (Hifi / MQA).

Second - I have downloaded the Amanero USB driver and installed it. BUT, I installed it simply using the setup embedded in the download, and from what I have read this is way, way, way too easy and that there are several more steps I should actually have taken (and perhaps a sacrifice or two I should have performed along the way).

Third - I have modified in the Amanero driver (actually the Windows Playback devices / Digital output (Amanero) / Properties) the supported formats to be all of the sample rates (initially it is just set to 48 kHz)... Please note that this device is supposed to support up to 384, but the highest format shown is 192 KHz, so this is my first clue that I have done something wrong (besides the missing sacrifices, that is)... Any ideas?

Fourth - in the Advanced tab I changed the default format to be 24-bits 44.1 KHz (it was originally set at 16-bit and 48 KHz)... Why? Because this is what I did with my Topping D50 under directions of another forum to get the best out of that DAC. Is this OK??

Does it matter if I am using a USB 2 or USB 3 port on my laptop?

Besides the steps and questions above, is there anything else I need to do (or in the case of what I have done to undo) to get the best out of this great device?

Thanks!!

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2018 at 7:12 PM Post #8 of 44
Folks, newbie here... I received my 11.38 in the last week and need advice as to the best way to set it up.

Some background on how I am using it and what I have already done...

First - it will be fed by USB from a Win 10 laptop running Tidal (Hifi / MQA).

Second - I have downloaded the Amanero USB driver and installed it.

Third - I have modified in the Amanero driver the supported formats to be all of the sample rates (initially it is just set to 48 kHz)... Is this OK???

Fourth - in the Advanced tab I changed the default format to be 24-bits 44.1 KHz (it was originally set at 16-bit and 48 KHz)... Why? Because this is what I did with my Topping D50 under directions of another forum to get the best out of that DAC. Is this OK??

Does it matter if I am using a USB 2 or USB 3 port on my laptop?

Besides the steps and questions above, is there anything else I need to do (or in the case of what I have done to undo) to get the best out of this great device?

Thanks!!
What do you think of him so far ?

Jun 30, 2018 at 7:51 PM Post #9 of 44
What do you think of him so far ?
While I got it in the last week or so today is my first experience with it (I was away). So far I think that it sounds quite comparable with my other set up - Topping D50 DAC & O2 Amp, but I will need a lot more listening to make a better conclusion. I also only have a subset of my headphones with me (HD 6XX, HD 58X Jubilee, and E-mu Teak), and will need to get back to my other place where the rest of my headphones are to make a more definitive conclusion. I also need to some burn-in on the 11.38 - not that I necessarily believe in that (other than for tubes) but, it can't hurt!

Jul 9, 2018 at 8:24 AM Post #10 of 44
Well, it happened to me this time.

My 11.38 is returning to China after a confusion with the customs :frowning2: goddamit !

GRRRRrrrr, now i have to wait even more :frowning2:

Jul 18, 2018 at 2:23 PM Post #12 of 44
Enjoying mine tremendously. From what I can tell (reference being Topping D50 - Aune X7S, Topping D50 - O2, Topping D50 - CTH) this is a very uncolored, transparent DAC / Amp combo. I did have to change the FIR filter setting (take lid off, move a jumper) to be the slow / linear setting as my Elex (a bright transparent headphone) was very fatiguing to listen to on the 11.38. I am not saying make the "warmer" sound jumper changes (have heard negative things about that).

As a reference, the stock setting with my Sundara sounded great. With the FIR change, still sounds great.

Bottom line is I am enjoying the unit, but at least for me took a minor change to deal with one pair of headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back