Official X5 2nd gen beta firmware download and discussion thread--version 1.27: library search function, replaygain, filter options
Feb 2, 2016 at 1:27 AM Post #62 of 231
Thanks so much for adding replaygain! This is the feature that finally made my x5ii meet all my DAP needs!

And pleasantly surprised by the feature to switch between fast and slow roll-off filters for the PCM1792 DAC chip. This is icing on the cake! I am liking the deeper soundstage of the slow roll-off filter mode.

Glad I bought the x5ii!

Feb 2, 2016 at 3:08 AM Post #63 of 231
Feb 2, 2016 at 11:38 AM Post #64 of 231
I tried 1.21 & 1.27 beta firmware. Did not solve the issues I am having with my player. I have an issue with the Left/right balance settings. I have adjusted the balance setting for my hearing. But when I start to play a track, the player reverts back to its default balance settings. If I depress either of the volume buttons, the balance settings switch to my adjusted settings. When the next track starts playing it reverts back to the default balance settings. Basically, I have to depress either one of the volume buttons every time a new track starts...

Would like to back to the 1.20 firmware. Can I do this ? How do I do it ?

thanks,

Gordon

Feb 2, 2016 at 11:41 AM Post #65 of 231
  I tried 1.21 & 1.27 beta firmware. Did not solve the issues I am having with my player. I have an issue with the Left/right balance settings. I have adjusted the balance setting for my hearing. But when I start to play a track, the player reverts back to its default balance settings. If I depress either of the volume buttons, the balance settings switch to my adjusted settings. When the next track starts playing it reverts back to the default balance settings. Basically, I have to depress either one of the volume buttons every time a new track starts...

Would like to back to the 1.20 firmware. Can I do this ? How do I do it ?

thanks,

Gordon

You download the 1.20 firmware, and install it the same way you do with 1.27. It is pretty simple.

I am sorry to hear that you have such problems, but a bug such as this should be reported to Fiio for checking as I see very few needing balance use, so it might very well be not known about it. 

Feb 2, 2016 at 1:30 PM Post #66 of 231

You download the 1.20 firmware, and install it the same way you do with 1.27. It is pretty simple.

I am sorry to hear that you have such problems, but a bug such as this should be reported to Fiio for checking as I see very few needing balance use, so it might very well be not known about it. 

Thank you for your response. I described this issue in the the Fiios Forum. Where else should I report it ?
It seems that sometimes my balance settings will work correctly on some tracks but not on others.

Feb 2, 2016 at 1:51 PM Post #67 of 231
  Thank you for your response. I described this issue in the the Fiios Forum. Where else should I report it ?
It seems that sometimes my balance settings will work correctly on some tracks but not on others.

If you reported there, it will be looked into. Also, it would not hurt to write an email directly to support@fiio.net or their support mail. They will have it better in view to repair the problem. Probably you will be requested to send some tracks for them to test, and see if it is a bug, or a but with the files, and help you repair the problem. 

Feb 2, 2016 at 5:02 PM Post #68 of 231
"5. Added DAC output reconstruction lowpass filter options (steep and gentle slope)"

Can someone please explain this.

I'm hoping this effects the player in both DAC and STORAGE mode the same way.

Also, why was this added and why can't we bypass it?
Don't we want the recordings to be as accurate as possible?

Feb 2, 2016 at 6:13 PM Post #69 of 231
  "5. Added DAC output reconstruction lowpass filter options (steep and gentle slope)"

It was active as steep before it being introduced if my understanding is correct. 

It does seem to work only when X5II is used as a DAP, not when used as a DAC, I might be wrong here, but the setting dissappears when X5II is in DAC mode. 

Feb 2, 2016 at 7:27 PM Post #70 of 231
Thanks, DG.

Yes, the option to switch modes is gone in DAC mode.
I'm hoping someone can confirm which filter mode is on when switched to DAC...or if it's bypassed

Feb 3, 2016 at 12:39 AM Post #71 of 231
The UI speed were improved a LOT! I just install the firmware, so I can't say too much. 

Have anyone felt changes in sound? I think that the sound is a little more bright, more clear, I don't know exacly. But appears that I can listen more easily the cymbals.

Feb 3, 2016 at 12:46 PM Post #72 of 231
The UI speed were improved a LOT! I just install the firmware, so I can't say too much. 

Have anyone felt changes in sound? I think that the sound is a little more bright, more clear, I don't know exacly. But appears that I can listen more easily the cymbals.
yes the sound is improved massively and yeah there is definitely something going on with the treble in particular. It's crisper and clearer and yet less fatiguing. It doesn't grate on the ears so much and I can listen at higher volumes. I like this new change in sound.

Feb 3, 2016 at 1:11 PM Post #73 of 231

I would like an explanation, too. If the steep filter was the default for FW1.2, what are the advantages and disadvantages of using the slow (gentle) slope? Thanks!

Feb 3, 2016 at 8:19 PM Post #74 of 231
I asked Joe about the new filter settings in FW1.27b. Here's his very detailed reply:

Hello Charles,

It should affect the X5II both in DAP and DAC mode. The digital to analog converter (DAC) (of the X5, which operates whether in DAP or DAC mode) reconstructs the audio signal from the digital signals given (by the audio file being played by the X5, or the connected device in the case of DAC mode). At the end of this reconstruction, components of the output signal that are higher than half the sample rate must be discarded (filtered out). In an attempt to simply the explanation: those are spurious signals created by the converter that do not appear in the original signal that was digitized. And no, this is not a flaw of the DAC used in the X5: all DACs work like this.

The reconstruction lowpass filter is responsible for filtering out these spurious signals. The steep slope filter attempts to preserve as much of the digitized signal in the output as possible while filtering out all of the spurious signal; this is the "correct" filter, but if you play artificially generated square waves through the system, what comes out at the output (as measured by an oscilloscope) is square waves that have extra waves of overshoot before and after each step transition (google "Gibbs phenomenon").

People misinterpret these oscilloscope outputs to mean that the "correct" filter produces audible ringing artifacts, when in fact these "artifacts" occur outside of the audible range and in any case only occurs with artificial square wave input signals, in which case those are the mathematically correct output.

Nevertheless, a "gentle slope" filter may now be chosen, which will eliminate the ringing "artifacts" in the square waves. It does just as good a job at eliminating the spurious output signals, but also attenuates some of the high frequencies--it starts cutting off signal in a "gentle" slope between the high audible frequencies and the top frequency that can be digitized (at half the sample rate). The possibly audible effect of this is more "rounded" highs--somewhat comparable to how high frequencies are attenuated by the air between loudspeakers and your ears, except you can now apply this to headphones.

Best regards,
Joe

Feb 3, 2016 at 9:29 PM Post #75 of 231
Thanks, this was very helpful. I need to try the gentle slope version.
Heath

I asked Joe about the new filter settings in FW1.27b. Here's his very detailed reply:

Hello Charles,

It should affect the X5II both in DAP and DAC mode. The digital to analog converter (DAC) (of the X5, which operates whether in DAP or DAC mode) reconstructs the audio signal from the digital signals given (by the audio file being played by the X5, or the connected device in the case of DAC mode). At the end of this reconstruction, components of the output signal that are higher than half the sample rate must be discarded (filtered out). In an attempt to simply the explanation: those are spurious signals created by the converter that do not appear in the original signal that was digitized. And no, this is not a flaw of the DAC used in the X5: all DACs work like this.

The reconstruction lowpass filter is responsible for filtering out these spurious signals. The steep slope filter attempts to preserve as much of the digitized signal in the output as possible while filtering out all of the spurious signal; this is the "correct" filter, but if you play artificially generated square waves through the system, what comes out at the output (as measured by an oscilloscope) is square waves that have extra waves of overshoot before and after each step transition (google "Gibbs phenomenon").

People misinterpret these oscilloscope outputs to mean that the "correct" filter produces audible ringing artifacts, when in fact these "artifacts" occur outside of the audible range and in any case only occurs with artificial square wave input signals, in which case those are the mathematically correct output.

Nevertheless, a "gentle slope" filter may now be chosen, which will eliminate the ringing "artifacts" in the square waves. It does just as good a job at eliminating the spurious output signals, but also attenuates some of the high frequencies--it starts cutting off signal in a "gentle" slope between the high audible frequencies and the top frequency that can be digitized (at half the sample rate). The possibly audible effect of this is more "rounded" highs--somewhat comparable to how high frequencies are attenuated by the air between loudspeakers and your ears, except you can now apply this to headphones.

Best regards,
Joe

Users who are viewing this thread

Back