Official X3 2nd gen stable firmware download / discussion thread--FW2.0: Added library search function, Line Output level options, Recently Played playlist, ReplayGain
Nov 19, 2015 at 2:50 PM Post #76 of 171
I just hope 1.4 does a good job on the scroll wheel, it's really Really bad. I can't get the DL until tomorrow since I lost my adapter for the sd card. 

If you have not tried the recent beta and are going right to 1.4 you will be pleasantly surprised by how useful the scroll wheel has become. I actually use it now!

Nov 19, 2015 at 5:07 PM Post #77 of 171
I'm currently on FW1.3 I upgraded it as soon as I got the unit a few days ago. It worked fine yesterday but today it seems to randomly pause all the time. Should I just upgrade to FW1.4 and hope for the best?

UPDATE: upgraded to FW1.4 last night and so far the random pausing seems to have ceased. The improvement with the scroll wheel is definitely noticeable.

I am glad I chose the Fiio X3II as my new DAP. I'm loving this thing

Nov 19, 2015 at 7:57 PM Post #79 of 171

I just hope 1.4 does a good job on the scroll wheel, it's really Really bad. I can't get the DL until tomorrow since I lost my adapter for the sd card. 

If you have not tried the recent beta and are going right to 1.4 you will be pleasantly surprised by how useful the scroll wheel has become. I actually use it now!

I can't wait to try it.

Nov 20, 2015 at 7:52 PM Post #81 of 171
Has anyone experienced lag while fast-forwarding long files such as audio-books? The larger the file, the longer it seems to take to resume playback after seeking. e.g. a 2 hour file can take 10 secs to seek after releasing the fast-forward button!

Nov 22, 2015 at 7:12 PM Post #82 of 171
I just had another random pause, and earlier I had a few instances of the player restarting the track, but that could have been me pressing the previous track button accidentally without noticing. 

Anyone else experiencing the random pauses? I will try to take notice and report back if it becomes frequent.

Nov 22, 2015 at 11:15 PM Post #83 of 171
  I just had another random pause, and earlier I had a few instances of the player restarting the track, but that could have been me pressing the previous track button accidentally without noticing. 

Anyone else experiencing the random pauses? I will try to take notice and report back if it becomes frequent.

Nope, it's been a welcome improvement for me.

Nov 24, 2015 at 11:04 PM Post #84 of 171
After I updated to FW1.4, my X3II now "double scans" my mSD card - ie, I have 1418 AIFF files on my card, but it now updates the media library to 1418x2 = 2836 songs. Each song now is listed twice in the media library - the first song has the correct name while the second listing of the song has an underscore "_" appended to the front of the song title. This never happened with FW1.3 and earlier? Why is this happening and how do I delete the underscored songs from my media library?

(Oh by the way, I updated my X1 to FW1.6 and the same thing is happening there too, which never happened with earlier FW versions)

Nov 28, 2015 at 4:00 AM Post #85 of 171

Yes, same here. It is present in 1.3 and 1.4 too. Only improvement, that with 1.4 i can jump to the next track, with the 1.3 the player freezes too sometimes.

Dec 3, 2015 at 7:35 AM Post #86 of 171
  Hi, 

Just like in the last beta firmware, I am missing titles in many of my albums.  The files are present in file view, but when I browse by album, they aren't there.  I only have 498 FLAC files on my 64 GB card right now.  Is there a specific naming scheme that is incompatible?  I didn't have this problem with the original firmware at all.

Did you work out how to fix this issue by any chance?

I am having exactly the same problem. New FW hasn't solved it either. Very frustrating

Dec 5, 2015 at 5:11 AM Post #87 of 171
With the double scans, it always happens with me when I use my Linux based Synology NAS to transfer music. The WIN PC never does. To get rid of the doubles just search for files that are ._ and delete in WIN.

Dec 7, 2015 at 5:34 PM Post #88 of 171
I've upgraded the firmware and the wheel is indeed a lot better than it was. It still feels glitchy, but it's a significant improvement over how it was before. Just trying to practice scrolling up and down the list, I'm still experiencing the same problems, just not as badly as before. Sometimes, a quick movement of 3 clicks moves the cursor exactly 3 items down the list. Other times, the exactly same gesture moves the cursor only 2 items down the list. 

I'm sitting here doing the exact same movement over and over, 3 clicks forward, 3 clicks back, 3 clicks forward, 3 clicks back, 3 clicks forward, etc, and the wheel is not consistent. The cursor keeps jumping around all over the place - 3 items up, 2 items down, 3 items up, 3 items down, 2 items up, 3 items down, etc. It's definitely less frustrating than before, but it's still frustrating and not consistent.

Maybe this is as good as the responsiveness can get. I suspect the root of issue lies with the physical properties of the wheel. The wheel has physical increments built in to its scrolling mechanism, so you can actually feel little clicks as you turn the wheel. The annoying part is that there is resistance to each increment, and you need to apply a little bit of force to the wheel just to get it to start moving. But then, when it does start moving, it moves too fast and seems to 'jump' to the next increment. It's almost as if the amount of force that it takes to overcome the resistance of each increment guarantees that once it actually starts scrolling, it will scroll too fast. You have to apply a certain amount of force to overcome the resistance of the scrolling increments, but you have to be very careful not to apply too much force because it will jump too much if you apply too much force. Even with perfect responsiveness on the software side of things, it just feels like the wheel's physical movement from increment to increment is awkward and flighty.

Also, the wait time when changing screens is a lot longer than it was with the first generation Fiio X3, particularly when you first back out of the "now playing" screen. Is there no way to improve this? Going back and forth between menu screens and moving through folders was instantaneous on the first generation X3, but the second generation seems to struggle with it.

I really really want to like this player, but after owning the first generation X3 for over a year, this 2nd generation has been a huge disappointment for me. It sounds a little bit better and more refined in terms of the digital-to-analog conversion, but this improvement comes at the price of everything that was good about the first generation X3. The first generation had a better amplifier, better user interface, better functionality, better button layout, better color schemes in the menu, brighter screen that could actually be viewed in the sunlight, bigger battery, an actual hold switch. With the second generation, you get a nice improvement in sound quality and a nicer looking player, but at the cost of so much. Some of the shortcomings of the second generation X3 are so basic that, in my opinion, there is no excuse for them, especially considering the fact that the first generation did not have these shortcomings. I wouldn't say that the second generation X3 is a "downgrade" from the first generation, because the DAC quality really is better on the second generation. What's disappointing is that the DAC quality is the only improvement. In all other areas, it is a step backwards from the first generation. It is also thicker. As far as I can tell, the only non-DAC thing that the second generation X3 does better than the first generation is the ability to switch songs without having to temporarily turn on the screen and waste battery. The second generation has the ability to skip tracks with the screen turned off, which is good for preserving battery. But I'm not sure that it actually matters because the second generation has a smaller battery, so while the ability to switch songs without turning on the screen is a nice way to save battery charge, the battery itself is smaller and holds less charge. Perhaps the battery being smaller is also the reason why Fiio decided to downgrade the amplifier in the second generation X3 as well. The amp in the first generation was significantly more powerful.

Dec 8, 2015 at 3:00 AM Post #89 of 171
With the double scans, it always happens with me when I use my Linux based Synology NAS to transfer music. The WIN PC never does. To get rid of the doubles just search for files that are ._ and delete in WIN.

Hi, Jamnperry.

This issue of creating the duplicate file after connecting with the Linux or Mac, will be fixed in the next firmware.
Sorry for the inconvenience.

Dec 8, 2015 at 4:09 AM Post #90 of 171
Hi, VladThelmpala.

1. For the scroll wheel issue of your X3ii, it is highly suggested to send it to us for checking and repairing, and you can send email to support@fiio.net, we will help you solve it directly, so pls don't worry.

2. Could you please inform us how many songs in total are stored in the micro SD card?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back