Official: "What to get my Significant other for Valentines day" thread
Feb 8, 2009 at 9:58 AM Post #17 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Barock /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Chocolates. Green and Blacks, I think. And a card, no tacky message, perhaps just with a bunny or kitten picture.

???????

Feb 8, 2009 at 10:32 AM Post #18 of 31
i like some of these ideas... the polaroid idea seems kinda cute and cool... exactly waht my gf would enjoy.

Any others like it?

Feb 8, 2009 at 11:20 AM Post #19 of 31
how about instead of buying something for her seeing as its the weekend this year why not get some yummy foods (what ever the american equivalent of M&S is), a load of candles and plan a romantic weekend in the house just the two of you, ice cream strawberrys, her fav romantic dvd's etc etc. give her memories not things

Feb 8, 2009 at 12:26 PM Post #21 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif

No unmet expectations to argue over, either.

All to true!

Quote:

Originally Posted by BauhausBold /img/forum/go_quote.gif
GHB

That's Fu**ed up!

Feb 8, 2009 at 2:19 PM Post #22 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by thatwunguy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i like some of these ideas... the polaroid idea seems kinda cute and cool... exactly waht my gf would enjoy.

Any others like it?

Yeah I think its a good idea, she will like it because its different and shows some thought went into the whole thing.

Feb 8, 2009 at 7:07 PM Post #23 of 31
Hey, Polaroids are memories!
wink.gif

And the Polaroid company's stopped producing them circa this year, so they're limited edition (my local camera store claims they'll stock them till the bitter end; the latest expiry date is September 2009). Of course, there's also Fujifilm Instax and all that but you can't beat a vintage Polaroid imho.

But like mark2410 said, what matters is the time you spend together... (And mementos of that time? Haha
smily_headphones1.gif
)

Feb 8, 2009 at 8:59 PM Post #24 of 31
The picture/earring idea is great!

This year I'm going to finish up a jewelry box that I'm making for my wife. It was a project that was started 4 years ago. I worked on it for about 2 months on and off and from then on it just sat around unfinished. That's what happens when you procrastinate, and then end up with a bunch of other stuff that keeps you busy. And all I have to do is make the sliding tray that goes in the top of it...
dt880smile.png

The front (which includes the drawer fronts), rear, and side panels are made out of Lacewood. Example here.

The lid and the legs (which extend up the sides of the box to the lid) are made from Purpleheart. Example here.

As for the rest of it: the drawer frames, drawer rails, tray rails, and the soon-to-be-fabricated sliding tray are made from Maple. The bottom of the box and the bottom of the trays are Poplar panels.

All of the hardware is brass, and the trays are felted in navy blue felt.

I'm still undecided if I want to varnish it, lacquer it, or just leave it unfinished. I'll probably leave it unfinished, because testing the 2 finishes made the Purpleheart way too dark IMO...

Feb 8, 2009 at 11:52 PM Post #25 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by malldian /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Come on Uncle Erik! Head to the bar instead! I am sure there are plenty of ladies who would love to hear your audio equipment
wink.gif

wink.gif

It's not easy right now - I've been stuck in the office 70-90 hours a week and haven't had a day off this year. Might not for a few more months. I need to stay with it through the end of the year, at least.

And yes, there is still considerable pressure from The Family to reproduce. Still, my heart isn't in it at the time. I've been through a few long-term relationships and enjoy the lack of complication being single gives you. Being able to wander freely on vacation and days off is something I really value. If I was wedged between work and having to attend some 9 year old cousin's birthday party, picking out new drapes, etc., etc. every weekend, I'd be unhappy. Not necessarily antisocial, but there has to be time to shut the door, put on music, read a book, and stuff like that. Or vacations where I get in the car and just go. Those, by the way, have always turned out incredibly well. Except they've given every girlfriend fits, especially without hotel reservations and itineraries. Anyhow, sorry if this derails the thread.

Feb 9, 2009 at 6:12 AM Post #26 of 31
I bought my girlfriend tickets to Cirque Du Soleil Saturday night. 40 bucks a pop, but it should be fun. As a bonus, it fits my valentines requirements of "something I will enjoy" and "not shiny."

The way I figure it, she'll remember an experience more vividly than a bracelet or earrings. I'll probably get her a flower or two as well.

Feb 9, 2009 at 6:16 AM Post #27 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Marl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I bought my girlfriend tickets to Cirque Du Soleil Saturday night. 40 bucks a pop, but it should be fun. As a bonus, it fits my valentines requirements of "something I will enjoy" and "not shiny."

The way I figure it, she'll remember an experience more vividly than a bracelet or earrings. I'll probably get her a flower or two as well.

That is a good one, my wife did the same for me one year, it was a blast.
wink.gif

Feb 9, 2009 at 7:57 PM Post #28 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Marl /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Unfortunately, we live four hours apart, so planing a trip to a show or concert is difficult, albeit doable. The problem is, I took her to a Hot Chip concert for her birthday, so I don't necessarily want to repeat the gift of ticket giving.

Although, Cirque Du Soleil would be incredible, I'll check in to that.

Feb 9, 2009 at 9:41 PM Post #29 of 31
Quote:

Not necessarily antisocial, but there has to be time to shut the door, put on music, read a book, and stuff like that. Or vacations where I get in the car and just go.

Certainly a fair point. Not too sure what my ball and chain is getting yet...

Feb 9, 2009 at 11:11 PM Post #30 of 31
Quote:

wink.gif

It's not easy right now - I've been stuck in the office 70-90 hours a week and haven't had a day off this year. Might not for a few more months. I need to stay with it through the end of the year, at least.

And yes, there is still considerable pressure from The Family to reproduce. Still, my heart isn't in it at the time. I've been through a few long-term relationships and enjoy the lack of complication being single gives you. Being able to wander freely on vacation and days off is something I really value. If I was wedged between work and having to attend some 9 year old cousin's birthday party, picking out new drapes, etc., etc. every weekend, I'd be unhappy. Not necessarily antisocial, but there has to be time to shut the door, put on music, read a book, and stuff like that. Or vacations where I get in the car and just go. Those, by the way, have always turned out incredibly well. Except they've given every girlfriend fits, especially without hotel reservations and itineraries. Anyhow, sorry if this derails the thread.

Uncle Erik, I got married in 1976 and have my freedom with little that I must attend to. On the other hand, I married the love of my life ... and the right woman for me. I crave time alone and my bride (of 30+ years) knows this and allows me my space. Good luck with finding the right partner.

Back to the OP.... been forever since I have been single with a girl friend .... but try:
1. A romantic meal with candles cooked by you with a Blue Mountain Arts card sharing your feelings, a single quality rose to symbolize your love and a "chick" flick that you can enjoy watching with her.
2. Earrings that you think SHE will like.
3. If she wears perfume, a bottle of perfume that you picked out
4. Forget the candy. Most women (especially single women) are continually on a diet and really won't appreciate it.
5. Take her to a movie/play/recital/art museum and then take her out for dessert (to share of course) and then give her a card that you made and wrote.
6. Romantic sleigh ride or carriage ride, depending on location followed up by dessert for two with her favorite dessert wine.

I LOVE Valentines Day. If it falls on a weekday I buy every woman in my office a flower. Even the ones that hate flowers love getting them on V-day. Say what you want, but this holiday is about romance. Doesn't matter what you want, what matters is what she likes. Be creative and daring. If you do something FOR her with good intentions, she will love you all the more no matter how it turns out.

So as we say on head-fi, YMMV, but that has been my experience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back