Official Unofficial 8XX Discussion Thread - UPDATE SENNHEISER HAS BEEN SOLD!!! GT(heck)IH
Mar 10, 2022 at 4:13 PM Post #1,201 of 1,479
That is wrong, everyone must have his own opinion. But if you are sponsored by Sennheiser, can you?
I can have my opinion, but I very carefully delineated in my video between how I would describe the sound /FR balance, and where that met my preferences, and also included speculation about what kind of people wouldn’t want it. In my mind, a purchase and return isn’t satisfying or profitable for anyone, nothing pleases everyone (but would probably please someone!), and the best thing a reviewer can do for people is to give people descriptions and proper expectations so they can make their own decisions.

It’s more like I was working with the sponsor: Sennheiser… I gave them a fond farewell and they don’t pay me anymore to be their community manager here.

Mar 11, 2022 at 4:07 PM Post #1,202 of 1,479
I've had a little less than a month with 8XX now. Still love it.

I've dialed in a modest 2 kHz boost and even milder adjacent attenuations at 400 Hz and 6 kHz on my Lokius equalizer.

Incidentally, the setting also works well for low-rate streaming of NPR and work calls—maybe just a bit more of the same—on both the 'phones and my studio monitors.

Still really fond of 8XX. I do ponder the "clinical" nature going back to the reputation of the original 800. I'm not sure I'd concede that, but I see how it comes off that way.

I think for me its just the first time I've experienced a top of the line headphone at home, and that's the deal—hi fi and pro fi are somewhat inherently clinical. You get the real deal—even if it was originally mastered for playing on AM radio in a car or whatever.

Put another way, I perversely miss tape hiss and low-fi when you just want to rock out hard. The 8XX is not for that. But you could say that about summit-fi in general, right? Unless you're putting together a live concert system, meant to be huge loud. It's just a different use case.

For exploring the nuances and detail of high-res audio, yeah, this is great.

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2022 at 5:01 PM Post #1,203 of 1,479
The HD8XX offers remarkable world-class sound quality when the proper EQ setting and amplification is applied. I currently use THX 789 Gain III and the bass is greatly improved, which convinced me to change the original 2-star review rating to 4-star. HD8XX is well worth the $1100 price tag. For future units, HD 8XX pricing will increase to $1200+.

Mar 12, 2022 at 9:44 AM Post #1,205 of 1,479
Im really enjoying these. I look forward to whenever I get to use them. It’s been such a joy revisiting old video game soundtracks that I know inside and out and hearing them in a new way. I felt the same way when I first got the 6xx. But this is a discernible difference.
Agreed. I've been playing Elden Ring with these, just plugged into the PS5 dualsense, and it's been amazing.

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2022 at 9:58 AM Post #1,206 of 1,479
Agreed. I've been playing Elden Ring with these, just plugged into the PS5 dualsense, and it's been amazing.
I’m gonna have to try gaming with these. With the tape removed they’re really excellent music headphones, I have to imagine they’ll shine with audio location in games.

Mar 13, 2022 at 5:07 AM Post #1,207 of 1,479
I'm amazed by how many are keen to heavily modify the 8xx headphones.
It is unacceptable to me, Sennheiser has to fix it, not the customer. 700$, is not for free.

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2022 at 11:31 AM Post #1,209 of 1,479
It is unacceptable to me, Sennheiser has to fix it, not the customer. 700$, is not for free.
I haven't, like mine just as they are.
BTW, have you read any other threads? 95% of posts are about new ear pads, cables, grill mods, etc.....
Check out the HE6se thread, I think I am the only person in this world that hasn't modded my pair to a completely different headphone, lol.

Mar 13, 2022 at 7:47 PM Post #1,210 of 1,479
I haven't, like mine just as they are.
BTW, have you read any other threads? 95% of posts are about new ear pads, cables, grill mods, etc.....
Check out the HE6se thread, I think I am the only person in this world that hasn't modded my pair to a completely different headphone, lol.
That seems like an overstatement.

(Looking at my HE6se)

Ok you may have a point.

Mar 14, 2022 at 12:55 AM Post #1,211 of 1,479
Heavily ? FIX ? you're implying they're broken or something ? I personally dont find removing stickers a Heavy mod... but okay.

Mar 14, 2022 at 3:53 AM Post #1,212 of 1,479
Heavily ? FIX ? you're implying they're broken or something ? I personally dont find removing stickers a Heavy mod... but okay.
You have to disassemble the whole headphone to remove stickers with tools and solvent, if is not broken why you do it?
And that guy keeps saying that in each page to convince others it is normal to rip off a new headphones: this is not 'custom your can' discussion.

🤡 Thanks :)

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2022 at 5:58 AM Post #1,213 of 1,479
You don't "have to" remove anything if you don't want to if you like the tuning, and they're not broken, just tuned differently from the 800 or 800s.
It's just everyone expected a cheap 800s, and freaked like they where robbed at gunpoint when it wasn't, and never was stated that it was.

Mar 14, 2022 at 8:03 AM Post #1,214 of 1,479
You have to disassemble the whole headphone to remove stickers with tools and solvent, if is not broken why you do it?
And that guy keeps saying that in each page to convince others it is normal to rip off a new headphones: this is not 'custom your can' discussion.

No you don’t. You just have to take the pads off.

Mar 14, 2022 at 9:53 AM Post #1,215 of 1,479

Umm you just have to remove the cable(because it’s just annoying) and earpads… I agree you shouldn’t have to mod a headphone but it’s a mod based on preference….

Users who are viewing this thread

Back