Official Unofficial 8XX Discussion Thread - UPDATE SENNHEISER HAS BEEN SOLD!!! GT(heck)IH
Feb 26, 2022 at 6:37 AM Post #1,066 of 1,479
Drop did not hide the HD8XX sales, in fact, you can follow them and see how many units are sold each day with F12, Or, you can get even more data if you are familiar with their api.
It was good when I ordered looks out stock now.

Feb 26, 2022 at 7:45 AM Post #1,067 of 1,479
I hear the difference of lacking fullness and bass on my Wells Milo. The hd8xx is a different beast on tubes. Have to break out my BHC see if 6as7g power does anything close to my 300b amps.

Only issue is I’m running Milo off 1600 watt inverter in my company van using same ifi zen sig dac. So possibly current needs are not met. Basically the bloom isn’t there giving fullness.

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2022 at 9:11 AM Post #1,068 of 1,479
Drop did not hide the HD8XX sales, in fact, you can follow them and see how many units are sold each day with F12, Or, you can get even more data if you are familiar with their api.
I'm seeing a null value on a quick inspect, but even if you're pulling a value of 3000, I sincerely doubt that's the true number. It'd be 1500, max. I remember it was sitting in the 600s until that code dropped, and it was probably 900 with a couple of days to go.

But the point remains that they've hidden the value on the page, and as far as I'm aware they haven't done that for any other headphone, whether discontinued or not.

The initial shipment was 2000 or 3000, and they were claiming a little over 1000 pre-orders at one point, but then they had a heap of people cancel after the graphs and subjective comments came in.

Feb 26, 2022 at 9:40 AM Post #1,069 of 1,479
I'm seeing a null value on a quick inspect, but even if you're pulling a value of 3000, I sincerely doubt that's the true number. It'd be 1500, max. I remember it was sitting in the 600s until that code dropped, and it was probably 900 with a couple of days to go.

But the point remains that they've hidden the value on the page, and as far as I'm aware they haven't done that for any other headphone, whether discontinued or not.

The initial shipment was 2000 or 3000, and they were claiming a little over 1000 pre-orders at one point, but then they had a heap of people cancel after the graphs and subjective comments came in.
Wow, got mine just in time. Didi the mod (removed the sticker and residue and swapped pads with Dekoni fenestrated sheepskin) and loving them. Used the Zeos $400 discount so I'd say a great deal for $745 (+ 90 for pads)

Feb 26, 2022 at 2:06 PM Post #1,070 of 1,479
Just got a set of these with the coupon code and have been impressed with the soundstage and detail coming from a 6xx. Are balanced cables a necessity for this headphone? And if they are does anyone have an recommendations? I saw drop has some cables for $300 but I figure there has to be a better deal. Thanks in advance.

Feb 26, 2022 at 2:33 PM Post #1,071 of 1,479
Just got a set of these with the coupon code and have been impressed with the soundstage and detail coming from a 6xx. Are balanced cables a necessity for this headphone? And if they are does anyone have an recommendations? I saw drop has some cables for $300 but I figure there has to be a better deal. Thanks in advance.
No definitely not required. They are not super demanding

Feb 26, 2022 at 3:19 PM Post #1,072 of 1,479
No definitely not required. They are not super demanding

Reviewers have mentioned they scale very well, balanced is not mandatory but the added amp power via balanced cables will be noticeable. I ordered mine with balanced cable as I mostly intend to use the HD8XX with portable DAP’s.

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2022 at 5:18 PM Post #1,074 of 1,479
something between the connector on my 8xx is iffy. rattles now after i took the cable off once(after that one time i pulled it, it became 100x easier to plug and remove the cable) and I straight pulled it, so the left side doesn't seem to Clip back in anymore, the right side does clip in but it rattles if you move the cable.... anyone know if there is a way to fix this ? I think it has something to do with the headphone part of the connector.

Feb 26, 2022 at 6:11 PM Post #1,075 of 1,479
Any pics of sticker location

Feb 26, 2022 at 10:39 PM Post #1,076 of 1,479
Any pics of sticker location
@Ichos signature a few posts above has a review link, hit the link and scroll down to the HD8XX review which shows stickers on the resonator. Removal of the top & bottom stickers are recommended for tuning the sound.

Feb 27, 2022 at 12:36 AM Post #1,077 of 1,479
Balanced versus single-ended/unbalanced is more about how your amplifier and DAC are setup and handle things in their circuitry.

Once you step out of the budget range of DACs, they tend to offer a balanced output, but how that performs balanced vs unbalanced can vary, not to mention whether or not it's true balanced (honestly less of a concern). Then you're dealing with the same issues for your amp.

You're not buying it for some magic happening in the cable, you're just getting what is decent out of the rest of your chain. An amp or DAC that is properly setup for both will generally be with in 1-2% variance in performance, and shouldn't be a deal breaker.

What is your existing setup with your 6XX?

Feb 27, 2022 at 12:04 PM Post #1,078 of 1,479
Balanced versus single-ended/unbalanced is more about how your amplifier and DAC are setup and handle things in their circuitry.

Once you step out of the budget range of DACs, they tend to offer a balanced output, but how that performs balanced vs unbalanced can vary, not to mention whether or not it's true balanced (honestly less of a concern). Then you're dealing with the same issues for your amp.

You're not buying it for some magic happening in the cable, you're just getting what is decent out of the rest of your chain. An amp or DAC that is properly setup for both will generally be with in 1-2% variance in performance, and shouldn't be a deal breaker.

What is your existing setup with your 6XX?
Thanks for all the replies everybody! I’m coming from a Schiit Magni/Modi stack with my 6xx. I upgraded to a THX 789 for my amp but am still running with the Modi so far. I’m assuming that is going to be the weak spot in my setup.

Feb 27, 2022 at 6:20 PM Post #1,079 of 1,479
So I was fairly happy with the 8XX and some EQ. but I was very curious about the sticker mod so I gave it a shot.

I peeled the black mesh off with my fingers. Then I used 99% isopropyl and Goo Gone with Q-Tips to remove the remaining adhesive, which is very thick. I found the Goo Gone to be quite difficult to clean off after, so for the second cup I only used isopropyl. It took a little longer but worked well. I recommend against using Goo Gone, due to the difficulty of cleaning it off. My one ear cup still smells like it.

To my ears the difference in sound is minor. They are slightly more open sounding, and the "narrow corridor" effect on voices is slightly reduced. The mid dip is still there, but doesn't seem as bad.

I took some measurements as I went along.

Stock

GpIOZrk.png

Bottom Sticker Removed

NPtBb5x.png

Top and Bottom Stickers Removed

2kMtjwg.png

Overlaid

2cgNsZt.png

Interestingly, the mid dip is still very much there, and it's actually slightly worse. It has shifted from 1.6k to 1.3k. Bass extension seems to be about the same. My measurements show some fluctuation but I think this is attributed to the positioning of the headphones on the test rig. The high peaks are now quite a bit higher but also evened out slightly, and more closely resemble the 800S.

I haven't tried removing the last sticker. It doesn't seem worth it, as the difference is so minor.

I think it is fair to say that the driver changes are the main difference to the sound and not the stickers in the ear cups, like people have been suggesting.

For those curious, the rig is this project that I modified to fit a UMIK-1. Probably not particularly accurate, but good enough to measure changes.

w7y8bkb.jpeg

Overall, I don't think the mod is worth it. I will continue to use EQ.

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2022 at 7:35 PM Post #1,080 of 1,479
This is the first time I am seeing the sticker mod measured. Thanks for taking the time and trouble to make this comparison. Kudos for also taking measurements with one sticker off.

Such a pity the configuration with only bottom stickers off can’t be remeasured, it seems odd the base dropped a few db compared to the other configurations. If the bottom sticker-off curve is normalized in the lower bass region, it would have a more shallow midrange dip vs the other modes and also lift the lower treble to match the two sticker-off mode. I am actually liking the evenness of the treble with one sticker off!

I also wonder if the difference will become more noticeable after break-in.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back