Official Unofficial 8XX Discussion Thread - UPDATE SENNHEISER HAS BEEN SOLD!!! GT(heck)IH
Sep 29, 2021 at 10:02 PM Post #691 of 1,479
Well is the frequency response really weird or is it just weird on paper? Some say that the mid is completely ruined due to the dip in FR?

If Crinacle's comparison video on YouTube is anything to go by, the 8xx sounds lacking in the mids. Although I'm sure it can EQ'd out, problem is, why should you have to?

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2021 at 10:45 PM Post #692 of 1,479
As someone who would definitely return these if I bought them only for music listening, I also kind of wish I hadn't seen the measurements. But the 'unique' FR is blatantly obvious when comparing it to the other headphones that have been in my recent rotation.

The last two extended listening sessions I've had with my HD8XX have both ended with me thinking "oh, these don't sound as bad as I was thinking originally" as my brain adapts to them. Then I try other headphones I like that I have on my desk (Aeon 2 Noire, HEDDphone, Ananda) and my preference for the other headphones is apparent in the first song, regardless of song. And that's despite how different the Noire, HEDDphone, and Ananda are from each other.

I've tried and failed to correct the mids gap with the Lokius, though I've made it a little better. Even with the Lokius, the fact is, from a pure FR, I prefer non-EQ'd Aeon 2 Noire, HEDDphone, and Ananda over the EQ'd HD8XX (with what I've been able to do with a Lokius, software EQs aren't practical for me).

The HD8XX have other good-to-excellent qualities, but FR is tablestakes for being in my music listening rotation.

I haven't gamed with them yet, whether or not I return them depends on how they do there.

Sep 29, 2021 at 10:58 PM Post #693 of 1,479
As someone who would definitely return these if I bought them only for music listening, I also kind of wish I hadn't seen the measurements. But the 'unique' FR is blatantly obvious when comparing it to the other headphones that have been in my recent rotation.

The last two extended listening sessions I've had with my HD8XX have both ended with me thinking "oh, these don't sound as bad as I was thinking originally" as my brain adapts to them. Then I try other headphones I like that I have on my desk (Aeon 2 Noire, HEDDphone, Ananda) and my preference for the other headphones is apparent in the first song, regardless of song. And that's despite how different the Noire, HEDDphone, and Ananda are from each other.

I've tried and failed to correct the mids gap with the Lokius, though I've made it a little better. Even with the Lokius, the fact is, from a pure FR, I prefer non-EQ'd Aeon 2 Noire, HEDDphone, and Ananda over the EQ'd HD8XX (with what I've been able to do with a Lokius, software EQs aren't practical for me).

The HD8XX have other good-to-excellent qualities, but FR is tablestakes for being in my music listening rotation.

I haven't gamed with them yet, whether or not I return them depends on how they do there.
I've had this experience before switching between headphones, when your brain initially thinks one headphone sounds wrong but adjusts to it over time.... And then when you switch back to your preferred headphones it's an "ahhh" moment of relief. In my experience, it never quite goes away- the headphone I think sounds wrong eventually gets returned or sold lol.

Not saying that will be the fate of your pair.

By the way I came across this video review that just released. Some really great sound comparisons in there. The 8xx sounds.... Really off to me in this video. The lack of mid range is really apparent in what it does to vocals IMO.

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2021 at 1:51 AM Post #695 of 1,479
I've had this experience before switching between headphones, when your brain initially thinks one headphone sounds wrong but adjusts to it over time.... And then when you switch back to your preferred headphones it's an "ahhh" moment of relief. In my experience, it never quite goes away- the headphone I think sounds wrong eventually gets returned or sold lol.

By the way I came across this video review that just released. Some really great sound comparisons in there. The 8xx sounds.... Really off to me in this video. The lack of mid range is really apparent in what it does to vocals IMO.

The sound signature differene in the demo is very good. I'm lucky that I can connect both the 800s and 8xx at the same time to my Dragon L3 (4pin xlr vs 1/4) and the tonal different is pretty spot on. The dragon is not a true balance amp before anyone chimes in. I was also able to connect both to my i-Ha6 via 4pin xlr and dual 3pin xlr also.

I honestly ask myself, why would I get this when I can get a used HD800s for ~$950 or a new only for about $150 more (not factoring the drop points).

If you're looking at the 8xx as a standalone, it's honestly not bad. While not better in all aspected, Ido see these as a step up as to other Drop's offering - 6xx, elex.

Compared to anything else in this price point (LCD-X, Aryas, clears, ZMF and even the Ether2), however, this would be on the bottom of my list if I were to only own one ~$1K headphone.

Sep 30, 2021 at 8:29 AM Post #696 of 1,479

And here I was about to post my video :) Glad the demo was able to show the differences accurately!

As I said in the review, and as someone else is saying above, the 8XX could be good on its own, but sounds just so different from the 800S.

I too prefer the 800S so far. It just pops at you with that realistic sounding clarity, you know? Be it the better balance of the mids or slightly higher treble, and the interplay of it all…the 800S just sounds more enjoyable in a direct comparison to me.

Still…I keep getting this feeling that the way the warmly altered tonality of the 8XX, mixed with the 800-seeies driver’s ability to portray great detail, could have a strong following by some people. I’m not really sure yet, I just need more time to listen.

Perhaps an additional video in a month or two with the Schiit Lokius’s EQ included in a reflection. Yea…I like that…a video series called “Reflection.”

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2021 at 8:30 AM Post #697 of 1,479
From the demo video, HD8XX sounded a bit hollow and it is truly an epic failure on Drop/Sennheiser part. They could have made it better or at least not get it so wrong :frowning2:
Makes me wonder if Sennheiser is preparing for the next flagship and simply doesn’t want 8xx to be a success.

Sep 30, 2021 at 9:17 AM Post #698 of 1,479
And here I was about to post my video :) Glad the demo was able to show the differences accurately!

As I said in the review, and as someone else is saying above, the 8XX could be good on its own, but sounds just so different from the 800S.

I too prefer the 800S so far. It just pops at you with that realistic sounding clarity, you know? Be it the better balance of the mids or slightly higher treble, and the interplay of it all…the 800S just sounds more enjoyable in a direct comparison to me.

Still…I keep getting this feeling that the way warmly altered tonality of the 8XX, mixed with the 800-seeies driver’s ability to portray great detail, could have a strong following by some people. I’m not really sure yet, I just need more time to listen.

Perhaps an additional video in a month or two with the Schiit Lokius’s EQ included in a reflection. Yea…I like that…a video series called “Reflection.”
Well I have to say, regardless of how "accurate" the recordings may be to real life sound, its an awesome format for comparison. I sort of wish every youtube headphone review was like this. To me, again even if its not totally accurate, I'd rather listen to differences than hear someone talk about sound in nebulous terms. So kudos, I enjoyed the video :beerchug:

Sep 30, 2021 at 3:07 PM Post #699 of 1,479

I made it a whopping 31 seconds into the video before closing. Wow. I can't believe sennheiser/drop thought this was ok.

Sep 30, 2021 at 3:57 PM Post #700 of 1,479
Folks, do not spread the rumors.

Official statement from Drop -
We're excited to say that we shipped over 500 pairs of HD8XX, so let the obsessive tracking-refreshing begin! For those who don't have a tracking number yet, hang in there for just another day or so, our warehouse staff are working as safely and quickly as they can. Making the HD8XX project a reality is the result of over five years of negotiation, countless tweaks and adjustments, and finally we're at the finish line. We're so excited to get these headphones into your hands and hear your impressions. We've been doing this long enough to know that nearly every audiophile product launch has its fair share of discussion and debate. From the infamous "HD58x is really just the HD650S with foam removed" videos, to the accusations that the "THX 789 AAA measurements claimed are physically impossible". What we've learned from these experiences is that the community has many shared and contrary beliefs about a product and the best way to settle them is to simply ship the product and let people's ears decide. For over 9 years we've worked tirelessly to make great audiophile products. Our track-record has shown that these efforts have caused dramatic changes in the audiophile industry. From the HD6XX making audiophile quality headphones accessible to the masses, to our THX amps changing the standard of low-noise amplification, and the countless-other category defining products we've released, our team and process has been able to consistently provide exceptional value and choice to the community. We're confident that the Drop + Sennheiser HD 8XX headphones will continue this tradition. Thanks for your support and helping make this product a reality.

Initial customer feedbacks and reviews on Drop has confirmed HD8XX's success as well. (29 customer reviews already)

Head-fi founder Jude strongly supported HD8XX, and he is worrying about some youtuber actually 'abused' measurements in the incorrect way AND a lot of people were misled by those measurements. He said this:

Today, measurements have a huge effect on the reviews and impressions of audio gear. Huge. When a new thread is posted about a headphone, how many posts does it take before someone is requesting measurements? After measurements are posted, how impactful are those measurements on the perception of the products? I think it's quite clear in this discussion the measurements have had a very big effect. Measurements shape perception in the audio hobby perhaps more than ever before.

Sep 30, 2021 at 4:02 PM Post #701 of 1,479

We're excited to say that we shipped over 500 pairs of HD8XX, so let the obsessive tracking-refreshing begin! For those who don't have a tracking number yet, hang in there for just another day or so, our warehouse staff are working as safely and quickly as they can. Making the HD8XX project a reality is the result of over five years of negotiation, countless tweaks and adjustments, and finally we're at the finish line. We're so excited to get these headphones into your hands and hear your impressions. We've been doing this long enough to know that nearly every audiophile product launch has its fair share of discussion and debate. From the infamous "HD58x is really just the HD650S with foam removed" videos, to the accusations that the "THX 789 AAA measurements claimed are physically impossible". What we've learned from these experiences is that the community has many shared and contrary beliefs about a product and the best way to settle them is to simply ship the product and let people's ears decide. For over 9 years we've worked tirelessly to make great audiophile products. Our track-record has shown that these efforts have caused dramatic changes in the audiophile industry. From the HD6XX making audiophile quality headphones accessible to the masses, to our THX amps changing the standard of low-noise amplification, and the countless-other category defining products we've released, our team and process has been able to consistently provide exceptional value and choice to the community. We're confident that the Drop + Sennheiser HD 8XX headphones will continue this tradition. Thanks for your support and helping make this product a reality.

Initial customer feedbacks and reviews on Drop has confirmed HD8XX's success as well. (29 customer reviews already)

Head-fi founder Jude strongly supported HD8XX, and he is worrying about some youtuber actually 'abused' measurements in the incorrect way AND a lot of people were misled by those measurements. He said this:

Today, measurements have a huge effect on the reviews and impressions of audio gear. Huge. When a new thread is posted about a headphone, how many posts does it take before someone is requesting measurements? After measurements are posted, how impactful are those measurements on the perception of the products? I think it's quite clear in this discussion the measurements have had a very big effect. Measurements shape perception in the audio hobby perhaps more than ever before.
Jude didn’t strongly support it. They asked him to do measurements and he did. He provided multiple comparisons and they picked the one that they felt would look the best as a comparison.

People love to tell people how great things are that they spent their money on. It makes them feel better about their purchase. Everything you posted is old news at this point…it’s a weird tuning. Oh well. Deal with it…if you bought it and like it..great…it’s still a weird tuning and isn’t what most people prefer from a FR standpoint.

Sep 30, 2021 at 4:56 PM Post #702 of 1,479
The 8xx doesnt have the same feeling of realness that the hd800s has. The 8xx sounds artificial.

The 800s could almost trick you into thinking sounds were happening in the room. The 8xx sounds unmistakably like you're listening to a (good sounding) recording.

And I think that's what set me on the path to get the 800s in the first place. So from that standpoint I should probably return the 8xx because that's a big miss. Even if they are great in many other ways.

Sep 30, 2021 at 5:42 PM Post #703 of 1,479

Holy sh!t, they're doubling down 😄

Sep 30, 2021 at 5:54 PM Post #704 of 1,479
The 8xx doesnt have the same feeling of realness that the hd800s has. The 8xx sounds artificial.

The 800s could almost trick you into thinking sounds were happening in the room. The 8xx sounds unmistakably like you're listening to a (good sounding) recording.

And I think that's what set me on the path to get the 800s in the first place. So from that standpoint I should probably return the 8xx because that's a big miss. Even if they are great in many other ways.
The funny thing is that I've seen the 800 and 800S described as having an artificial sound, at least with respect to the unnatural (allegedly, I've never heard any 800 series myself) soundstage.

I can't wait to get mine (tomorrow, I hope) to decide if I've spent a good $1100 or if it ends up being a disappointment. :sweat_smile:

Sep 30, 2021 at 9:27 PM Post #705 of 1,479

Still…I keep getting this feeling that the way the warmly altered tonality of the 8XX, mixed with the 800-seeies driver’s ability to portray great detail, could have a strong following by some people. I’m not really sure yet, I just need more time to listen.

Excellent video, thank you for the painstaking work to produce that -- the video left me suspecting that I might, too, prefer the HD 800S, although for me only by a relatively close margin and having never heard an OG HD 800 or the HD 800S, I suspect I will be happy with the HD 8XX if I am going to like anything from the HD 8-series at all, which I am pretty sure I will.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back