Official Unofficial 8XX Discussion Thread - UPDATE SENNHEISER HAS BEEN SOLD!!! GT(heck)IH
Mar 3, 2021 at 9:35 AM Post #286 of 1,479
I agree, except that cancellations with Drop has never been easy. My last purchase were the HE5XX… tried cancelling multiple times - Website keeps popping up error. Wrote in to Customer support who dragged the issue for a week before responding that the headphones have shipped (I tried cancelling a week before the projected shipping)..

YMMV~ Hopefully it’s a good deal for all! The HD800S are a fantastic pair of headphones even without EQ for me.
I actually cancelled my order for the 8xx for personal reasons. Had zero problems. Cancelled on-line 1st try, had a full refund credited to my card in 4 days.

Mar 3, 2021 at 9:58 AM Post #287 of 1,479
I don’t see the logic.. you’re saying they can take such fantastic measurements yet are unable to commit a few sets for review by third parties to back up their claims?

That would insinuate that they are in fact lying and are still fine-tuning the product to meet their claims..

I do not think it is reasonable to have a FR chart to entice buyers yet fail to have prototypes for review. As mentioned, it is not a brand new product but a modification of an existing line of products.

It is very different from Kickstarter pledges…
You wrote “That would insinuate that they are in fact lying and are still fine-tuning the product to meet their claims..”

That is one possibility. Another is that they only made a handful of units to select the final design target and submitted the final candidate prototype to head-fi for their measurements... This is similar to what you wrote, but without the inference of lies being involved. It would also explain the 9 month wait time - they are almost at the beginning of the process.

I can understand the possible scenario. I don’t ascribe malice on the part of Drop. But I do agree they could have done a better job, including delaying their announcement until they had solid feedback from some reviewers. But, we don’t know what’s going on behind the scenes.

Mar 3, 2021 at 8:19 PM Post #289 of 1,479
They are not translating into increased sales for the HD8XX so not sure where you are going with this.

The HD800 series is probably one of the most traded upper end headphones so there are always plenty for sale and trade.

Mar 3, 2021 at 10:15 PM Post #290 of 1,479
There’s no way you can say that yet. Only time will tell. I said I’ve seen many pop up for sale in the last few days, that doesn’t mean they have sold yet. Most people don’t make new purchases until after they sell their gear. I bet there will be quite a few more purchases in the next week or two.

Mar 3, 2021 at 10:40 PM Post #291 of 1,479
I'm comfortable enough financially that I have zero worries about putting down $1100 with a 9 month wait when I can cancel later on regardless, but my feeling is that for most people they want to see a variety of reviews before they purchase. There's no real reason to buy yet without having some firm conclusions on how they sound and in that light the sales numbers look neither good nor bad but about what would be expected for a reasonably expensive headphone in this position with this wait time. When your target audience is mostly budget conscious audiophiles the currently low sales numbers don't really mean anything when that specific audience are the types of people to gravitate towards bang for buck products that are well-liked by the audiophile community. Currently there's no community consensus because no one has tried the product so you wouldn't expect high sales currently. Even if these were $1000 + $200 in points I don't see the situation being any different.

The Drop website has a 30 day timer for the current offer, personally I think they should hold the $1100 + 200 drop points for at least a week or so before reviews come out and extend this window if they have to. A lot of the criticisms are totally ridiculous but it doesn't make a lot of sense not to get this in the hands of reviewers. They could have easily waited an extra month before they were more comfortable in doing so then immediately had a variety of written and Youtube reviews ready to be shared. It doesn't seem like there can be a good justification against this, unless they were supremely confident in the prototypes.

On whether or not this is a failure again that completely relies on the quality of the end of product, which unfortunately no one is aware of yet. In terms of sales they'll easily sell thousands and thousands if the sound is well-liked by the community enough that it is even on-par with the 800s. Its 9 months out and no one has heard it, no its not a failure yet.

Mar 3, 2021 at 11:47 PM Post #292 of 1,479
I'm comfortable enough financially that I have zero worries about putting down $1100 with a 9 month wait when I can cancel later on regardless, but my feeling is that for most people they want to see a variety of reviews before they purchase. There's no real reason to buy yet without having some firm conclusions on how they sound and in that light the sales numbers look neither good nor bad but about what would be expected for a reasonably expensive headphone in this position with this wait time. When your target audience is mostly budget conscious audiophiles the currently low sales numbers don't really mean anything when that specific audience are the types of people to gravitate towards bang for buck products that are well-liked by the audiophile community. Currently there's no community consensus because no one has tried the product so you wouldn't expect high sales currently. Even if these were $1000 + $200 in points I don't see the situation being any different.

The Drop website has a 30 day timer for the current offer, personally I think they should hold the $1100 + 200 drop points for at least a week or so before reviews come out and extend this window if they have to. A lot of the criticisms are totally ridiculous but it doesn't make a lot of sense not to get this in the hands of reviewers. They could have easily waited an extra month before they were more comfortable in doing so then immediately had a variety of written and Youtube reviews ready to be shared. It doesn't seem like there can be a good justification against this, unless they were supremely confident in the prototypes.

On whether or not this is a failure again that completely relies on the quality of the end of product, which unfortunately no one is aware of yet. In terms of sales they'll easily sell thousands and thousands if the sound is well-liked by the community enough that it is even on-par with the 800s. Its 9 months out and no one has heard it, no its not a failure yet.

Yes, exactly this. I’m not keen on an 1100 dollar blind buy with zero reviews.

Mar 6, 2021 at 5:07 AM Post #296 of 1,479
717. 4 today.
I'm wondering at this point if they will reopen the drop at this price again before launch

any other opinions on them just letting it sit unavailable for purchase for 9 months? People might get salty and but other headsets but IMO it can also work in their favor for getting more purchases @ 1200 and a big surge once it drops

Mar 7, 2021 at 6:08 AM Post #298 of 1,479
I’m a couple hours later than usual but I just checked and…741.

24 in a little over a day. That’s the most in weeks. Did something spur an uptick?
Probably more to do with the fact that most people get paid on Friday so weekends are probably going to be the days with the most activity sales-wise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back