Official Team BEER-FI (Beer Appreciation Thread!)
Sep 26, 2012 at 2:04 PM Post #1,801 of 2,001
Quote:

We have quite a few micro breweries in the area. Nothing like freshly brewed beer...
Two of my favorites:
http://www.biplanebrewing.com/
http://www.selkirkabbey.com/

Edit: didn't mean for the quote...

Sep 27, 2012 at 11:58 AM Post #1,802 of 2,001
I can't imagine why Rogue would even distribute that Voodoo Maple Bacon Doughnut beer as much as they have.  It is terrible and just reflects poorly on them. 

Really appreciate the trend with brewers producing <5% abv pale ales that are nicely hopped, though not overly so like the higher abv IPA's/DIPA's.  Really enjoyed Lagunitas' Day Time IPA, a sub 5% 'IPA' that is nicely crisp and refreshing, with excellent fruity hop aromas and a lightly bitter, but very flavorful taste.  Good for the times I just want something easy to drink without the alcohol, but has plenty of flavor. 

Sep 27, 2012 at 12:08 PM Post #1,803 of 2,001
What?  There is a beer club.  Awesome.

Breckinridge oatmeal stout, Samuel Smith's oatmeal stout, Young's Dbl Choc stout.  Hmm.  Any strong IPA, dogfishead, sierra nevada torpedo, Racer 5, extra yum.

Sep 27, 2012 at 7:04 PM Post #1,804 of 2,001
Samuel Smith's Oatmeal stout and Young's Double Chocolate stout are two beers that I really enjoy.

Jolly Pumpkin Artisan Ales Maracaibo Especial pours a murky deep amber red with a good amount of head and nice lacing on the glass. It's aroma has hints of spice, citrus, and light cocoa. Has a tart initial taste followed by hints of malt, dark chocolate, coffee, and cherry. A very well balanced beer with a medium mouthfeel, would definitely buy again.

Ommegang Art of Darkness pours black with a  tan head that about two fingers thick and last from the first to the last sip. Has hints of dark fruits, malt, light alcohol and has a medium mouthfeel with decent lacing. Cherry, plums, dark chocolate, and roasted malt flavors mingle together with a light alcohol finish. A wonderful brew.

A collaboration between Maui Brewing and Jolly Pumpkin Artisan Ales Sombrehumano Palena'ole pours ruby red color with a tan head and nice lacing. Has aromas of liliko'i passion fruit, cherries, and malt with similar taste characteristics that starts off light tart and ends with a light sweet finish. Really no hop bitterness to this brew as it's smooth and easy drinking.

Sep 28, 2012 at 12:01 AM Post #1,805 of 2,001
warubozu:

Wow I have never even heard of those beers.  I will have to go searching.  Sound good.  Sipping on a Young's right now.

Cheers

Sep 28, 2012 at 11:47 AM Post #1,806 of 2,001
Quote:

A collaboration between Maui Brewing and Jolly Pumpkin Artisan Ales Sombrehumano Palena'ole pours ruby red color with a tan head and nice lacing. Has aromas of liliko'i passion fruit, cherries, and malt with similar taste characteristics that starts off light tart and ends with a light sweet finish. Really no hop bitterness to this brew as it's smooth and easy drinking.

Jolly Pumpkin also brewed their interpetation of this collaboration beer at their facilities and I had a bottle of it a couple of weeks ago.  Being Jolly Pumpkin, there is a bit of wild yeast and bacteria characteristic of all their brews, a light earthy funk in addition to the tart cherry and a light tropical fruit that I couldn't put a finger on until I looked up what liliko'i was.  It was enjoyable, especially for warm weather. 

Sep 28, 2012 at 2:04 PM Post #1,807 of 2,001
Quote:
warubozu:

Wow I have never even heard of those beers.  I will have to go searching.  Sound good.  Sipping on a Young's right now.

Cheers

Half the fun is discovering/finding and purchasing limited or hard to find releases.

Quote:

Jolly Pumpkin also brewed their interpetation of this collaboration beer at their facilities and I had a bottle of it a couple of weeks ago.  Being Jolly Pumpkin, there is a bit of wild yeast and bacteria characteristic of all their brews, a light earthy funk in addition to the tart cherry and a light tropical fruit that I couldn't put a finger on until I looked up what liliko'i was.  It was enjoyable, especially for warm weather. 

You are correct, Jolly Pumpkin's release comes in a 22 oz. bomber.

Sep 29, 2012 at 7:06 AM Post #1,808 of 2,001
A beer thread! Great!

My favorite daily brew :

My all-time favorite beer is Brahma Black, but unfortunately I can't find it anywhere outside of Brazil.

Once a year when I get back to Quebec for the holidays, I can enjoy most of the Unibroue beers, Molson Canadian & Labatt Bleue.

Cheers!

Oct 3, 2012 at 2:33 PM Post #1,810 of 2,001
If you can get it, the Lancaster (PA) Milk Stout is actually better in my opinion....

Oct 3, 2012 at 2:49 PM Post #1,811 of 2,001
Have a fondness for light/crisp beers, especially Czech beers.  

Some fav's:

Brau Czech
Urquell Pilsner

And others:

Menebrea Birra
Kronenbourg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back