Official Team BEER-FI (Beer Appreciation Thread!)
Nov 26, 2012 at 5:08 PM Post #1,831 of 2,001
Quote:
I had previously never seen them before. I actually picked it up at a bar. I was even at Goose Island last month at the brewpub in Clyborne and was laughed at when I asked if they had any. Hopefully it will get easier to find. That and Founders KBS have been my unicorns so far.

It sells out pretty fast, though New York is supposedly swimming in BCBS sitting around right now, if you don't mind the trip across state.  Goose Island just released a couple more of their treatments of BCBS, their coffee variant and a new version aged in rye whiskey barrels with cherries.  Should hit distribution soon for the states lucky enough to get some. 

Nov 26, 2012 at 5:14 PM Post #1,833 of 2,001
Thanks for the info. I am right near NYC, I might need to venture across to border to procure some of it. I will have to do some rooting this weekend....

Dec 3, 2012 at 8:58 AM Post #1,835 of 2,001
I had a great weekend of beer related goodness. Did a tour/tasting of the Cricket Hill Brewery in nearby Fairfield, NJ, where we tasted a few good beers and it was a great way to unwind after a long week. Saturday morning I headed up to NY and was able to procure some rarities at the wonderful Cable Beverages in Rockland. This included 12 Goose Island Bourbon County Stouts, a Stone Mint Chocolate Stout, a New Holland Dragon's Milk, a Paulaner Salvatore, and a few other goodies. It was then off the the Captain Lawrence Brewery in Westchester. If you ever find yourself in the area, this is a great place to visit. It is a brand new brewing facility that is gorgeous and they have great beer (including some real interesting stuff in the pipeline). $2 for a tasting glass (which can be used any time you return to the brewery) and a tour with unlimited tastings, plus delicious food truck food (gourmet beef/pork/chicken hot dogs Saturday). Overall a great start to the chaotic month of December full of great beers!

Dec 3, 2012 at 11:44 AM Post #1,836 of 2,001
Quote:
I had a great weekend of beer related goodness. Did a tour/tasting of the Cricket Hill Brewery in nearby Fairfield, NJ, where we tasted a few good beers and it was a great way to unwind after a long week. Saturday morning I headed up to NY and was able to procure some rarities at the wonderful Cable Beverages in Rockland. This included 12 Goose Island Bourbon County Stouts, a Stone Mint Chocolate Stout, a New Holland Dragon's Milk, a Paulaner Salvatore, and a few other goodies. It was then off the the Captain Lawrence Brewery in Westchester. If you ever find yourself in the area, this is a great place to visit. It is a brand new brewing facility that is gorgeous and they have great beer (including some real interesting stuff in the pipeline). $2 for a tasting glass (which can be used any time you return to the brewery) and a tour with unlimited tastings, plus delicious food truck food (gourmet beef/pork/chicken hot dogs Saturday). Overall a great start to the chaotic month of December full of great beers!

Sounds like a great weekend.  Would love to try some of Captain Lawrence's beers, especially their wild ales.  Been trying to get a bottle of their Cuvee de Castleton after getting a bottle of Rosso e Marrone. 

I attended the SF area Cantillon Zwanze tapping at The Trappist in Oakland and had a few Cantillon lambics that they had on tap.  This year's Zwanze was a delicious rhubarb lambic. 

Dec 3, 2012 at 12:13 PM Post #1,837 of 2,001
I too need to try more of their more off beat offerings. I had some samples of some pilots that likely won't make it to market, but I really would like to try some of their Smoke In the Oak beers and the Cuvee. I was able to try some Golden Delicious, which was an interested Belgian Tripel aged in apple Brandy barrels. Definitely one of the more interesting beers I have tried lately. A good tripel with a little apple sweetness and some alcohol heat.

I will be stopping back in two weeks during a trip to my girlfriend's family in CT. Hopefully they will have some interesting winter beers on tap for me to fill my growler with.

Dec 11, 2012 at 1:53 PM Post #1,840 of 2,001
Tonights beer - Blanche de Namur. Belgian Wheat Beer. 

Dec 11, 2012 at 2:07 PM Post #1,842 of 2,001
Quote:
Enjoy! Belgian beer is the best (I'm slightly prejudiced) :wink:

Normally I do not like Belgian beer that much to be honest. Often they are too thick and dark for me. Back in the old days I used to like Chimey and some trappist beers were my favorites. But now I prefer weissbier, pilsner and wheatbeer types. But this Belgian wheatbeer is one of my favorites. :) 

By the way I was given two bottles of Westvleeteren 12 by a Belgian friend a few weeks ago. I have to admit they were VERY good!!! 

Dec 12, 2012 at 2:30 PM Post #1,843 of 2,001
Quote:

By the way I was given two bottles of Westvleeteren 12 by a Belgian friend a few weeks ago. I have to admit they were VERY good!!! 

A US distributor has released some of the Westvleteren 12 gift sets that the abbey started selling to support their renovation efforts here in California today.  Mad scramble by many beer afficionados at the opportunity to purchase 6 bottles of the 12 and two chalices for $85.  Unfortunately, I will not be joining in the hunt. 

Dec 12, 2012 at 3:31 PM Post #1,844 of 2,001
Quote:

A US distributor has released some of the Westvleteren 12 gift sets that the abbey started selling to support their renovation efforts here in California today.  Mad scramble by many beer afficionados at the opportunity to purchase 6 bottles of the 12 and two chalices for $85.  Unfortunately, I will not be joining in the hunt. 

I did buy the Belgian set :)

Dec 28, 2012 at 9:02 PM Post #1,845 of 2,001
St. Bernardus Tokyo

This one is a very solid B, a very drinkable wheat made more unique with the hops typically reserved for a triple, not a whit.  Unspiced, which is rare for pure malted wheat, a pleasure to drink :) 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back