Official Team BEER-FI (Beer Appreciation Thread!)
Jul 23, 2011 at 1:22 AM Post #1,411 of 2,001
I hear that. In addition to one or two trappists, and some expensive USA microbrews I can't remember the names of La Fin Du Monde is just the best beer I've had. It's also amongst the most beer-y to me, whatever that actually means.

(btw, I'm not going to say you shouldn't try any other beers by Unibroue, but you're not likely to find one you like mor ethan Fin Du Monde. Most of them feel like they are just other takes on the same recipe but not as great. There's an exception, I guess with their blanche and apple one)

Jul 23, 2011 at 9:43 PM Post #1,412 of 2,001

Quote:
I got a 4 pack of la fin du monde for my birthday last week. Im just starting on my beer journey in life, but it is by far the most well rounded, exquisite, and overall best beer I've ever had. The flavor is complex yet clean. I'm not good at picking out specifics in flavors, but the only thing I could think while I drank it was this is how beer is supposed to be. A true experience and highly recommended

I think la fin du monde is a great beer to introduce people to bigger more flavorful beer beyond the macros.  The flavors of a triple don't hit you over the head like some of the other styles craft beer, but are very robust and varied.  It was the beer that helped push me into loving craft beers many years ago, and it's a beer I have used to introduce friends to my obsession with good beer. 

Unibrou's Maudite, Trois Pistoles, and Don de Dieu are also excellent beers for Belgian style dubbles, strong dark ales or strong pale ales.  Or you can just jump right into the Belgian trappiste or craft breweries.  Westmalle tripel, Rochefort 10, and St Bernardus Abt 12 are all bold delicious beers if you enjoy the Unibroue line up. 

Jul 23, 2011 at 10:53 PM Post #1,413 of 2,001
sometimes, the tremens just doesn't cut it

edit:  wishing I had gotten the 330ml instead of the 1 pint size...  8.5% abv is no slouch 

Jul 24, 2011 at 4:40 AM Post #1,414 of 2,001

edit:  wishing I had gotten the 330ml instead of the 1 pint size...  8.5% abv is no slouch 

That looks beautiful!

Jul 24, 2011 at 6:30 PM Post #1,416 of 2,001
almost forgot. I also got a six pack of this interesting brew: 
http://www.averybrewing.com/our-ales/54

not a "purist" beer, but a great experience. its made with chocolate malts. doesnt sound like a great idea on paper, but it is very well executed. the end result is an almost mocha taste with hints of nuts. its almost like if nutella was made into a beer. not for everyone, but i found it delicious

Jul 24, 2011 at 7:39 PM Post #1,417 of 2,001

Quote:

Nice! Really have to try their other beers. The Delirium Tremens is my very favorite beer so far, it's a great smooth fruity triple!

Jul 24, 2011 at 7:40 PM Post #1,418 of 2,001

Quote:
this saturday i've had this wonderful beer at a local cafe

well worth the €12.90
biggrin.gif

12,90 for a Quadrupel
blink.gif

I like their Isid'or very much, great beer. Actually didn't try their quadrupel yet.

Jul 24, 2011 at 7:48 PM Post #1,419 of 2,001

Quote:
Nice! Really have to try their other beers. The Delirium Tremens is my very favorite beer so far, it's a great smooth fruity triple!

I agree with this. I enjoy Tremens (although it is very expensive like many of the Belgians here), but have never tried any of their other varieties. I really never hear much about them either.

I have been enjoying scotch ales a ton lately. The Sam Adams Wee Heavy is alright, but Oscar Blues Old Chubb is a very good beer. Also going to be trying some Erie Railbender Ale on draft tomorrow. Anyone have any good recommendations of other scotch ales?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back