Official Team BEER-FI (Beer Appreciation Thread!)
Apr 19, 2011 at 2:30 PM Post #1,276 of 2,001
I think Your right on the 16 oz size and You Guy's are killing Me right now, I want a beer so frigin bad and I can't because I have to go back to work now. Can't drink and drive Oh Well, them there is the break's! Maybe later.

beerchug.gif

Apr 19, 2011 at 6:12 PM Post #1,278 of 2,001
Tried a couple beers this weekend, first was from Unibroue, called Maudite, really liked this beer, bold beer with guts that didn't hold back on flavors. Normally this no holds barred approach to beer flavors ends up in disaster, but this beer hits the mark. Complex flavor that will surprise you on first taste, and probably all the way through the bottle. Crisp flavor at first with a nutmeg/cinnamon/spice kick, then a bitter hop and fruit flavor at the end. Honestly I dont know enough about beer flavors to describe this beer, but really liked it. Listed as a belgian style ale btw

Second beer was a Daleside Monkey Wrench Ale, normally I'm wary of beers that seem to try and market themselves using some ploy i.e. putting a monkey on the bottle and telling a little story about the monkey on the side label, but I felt impulsive and bought a couple bottles. I was thus surprised when the beer ended up tasting pretty darn good. Typical ale in terms of malt and hop flavor, hint of toffee (it's british) as well as cola/licorice type flavor. I would recommend to others, but wasn't the type of beer to blow me away, perhaps because the Maudite stole my attention.

Apr 19, 2011 at 7:33 PM Post #1,279 of 2,001
I was contemplating on purchasing a bottle of Unibroue Maudite last night but decided to go for a bottle of Unibroue Ephemere and Baird Kurofune Porter

taster-009edited.jpg
5486970177_6d11943564.jpg

The Kurofune Porter has a coffee aroma and dark chocolate but unfortunately both characteristics are on the light side in the flavor department of this beer. The coffee and chocolate finish doesn't long enough to be enjoyed but the initial taste of this beer when it first hits your tongue packs a punch with roasted malts and hops. Despite this punch the beer has a medium mouthfeel and is drinkable. Would have been a better beer if the two forementioned characteristics were a bit more intense and have a longer finish. I'm now also considering picking up a bottle of Uinbroue Terrible or Ballast Point Sea Monster to make up for the Kurofune Porter.

Apr 19, 2011 at 8:18 PM Post #1,280 of 2,001

Quote:
I was contemplating on purchasing a bottle of Unibroue Maudite last night but decided to go for a bottle of Unibroue Ephemere and Baird Kurofune Porter

The Kurofune Porter has a coffee aroma and dark chocolate but unfortunately both characteristics are on the light side in the flavor department of this beer. The coffee and chocolate finish doesn't long enough to be enjoyed but the initial taste of this beer when it first hits your tongue packs a punch with roasted malts and hops. Despite this punch the beer has a medium mouthfeel and is drinkable. Would have been a better beer if the two forementioned characteristics were a bit more intense and have a longer finish. I'm now also considering picking up a bottle of Uinbroue Terrible or Ballast Point Sea Monster to make up for the Kurofune Porter.

The Unibroue Terrible and the La Fin Du Monde are also great. The ephemere is one that I personally dont care for too much but two of my friends liked that the most. we found a Unibroue sampler that was excellent, not a bad beer in the bunch (unless you don't like tripels like my friends). If you try the sea monester you'll have to post impressions. Cheers!

Apr 19, 2011 at 11:24 PM Post #1,281 of 2,001
You guys are so lucky that you have all that Unibroue available to you! 
angry_face.gif

Out here in Toronto (maybe 6 hours away from where it is brewed!) our government run liquor distributors only stock La Fin du Monde 
mad.gif
. I guess the fact that it is cheaper per volume of alcohol than our cheapest beers makes up for it a bit but 
mad.gif
 I want more Unibroue !!!

Apr 19, 2011 at 11:54 PM Post #1,282 of 2,001
Unibroue has a lot of Canada only releases amongst their beers too.  That's too bad for you in Toronto...

Quote:
angry_face.gif

Out here in Toronto (maybe 6 hours away from where it is brewed!) our government run liquor distributors only stock La Fin du Monde 
mad.gif
. I guess the fact that it is cheaper per volume of alcohol than our cheapest beers makes up for it a bit but 
mad.gif
 I want more Unibroue !!!

Apr 20, 2011 at 6:03 AM Post #1,283 of 2,001
dsc4860j.jpg

Crispin - Natural Hard Apple Cider (6.5% ABV)
- Fairly sweet apple & light honey aromatics
- MMMMMmmmmmmmmm, damn this is good, semi-dry, semi-sweet hard cider
- Very EZ to drink, I could see myself getting carried away drinking this in big gulps
- Highly recommend, 8/10

Apr 20, 2011 at 8:16 AM Post #1,284 of 2,001

Quote:
angry_face.gif

mad.gif
mad.gif
 I want more Unibroue !!!

Time for revolution. Alcohol for everyone. :-D

Apr 20, 2011 at 2:00 PM Post #1,285 of 2,001

Quote:
angry_face.gif

mad.gif
mad.gif
 I want more Unibroue !!!

That bite's, If I were You I would drive to the brewery if You can purchase directly from them or a distributor near them and buy a few case's and sell some for profit!

beerchug.gif

Apr 24, 2011 at 8:50 PM Post #1,288 of 2,001
I had busy weekend of beer sampling. I sampled the following:

Philadelphia Brewing Company - Newbold IPA (draft)
A good lighter IPA with not too much floral or bitter taste, but overall enjoyable. A good IPA.

Russian River Brewing Company - Pliny the Elder (draft)
I had heard good things about this IPA and it didn't disappoint. Was definitely one of the better IPAs I have had lately. Not too strong, but flavorful and easy to drink. A good beer I would drink again.

Avery Brewing - Ellie's Brown (can)
Had this a Philly beer garden specializing in micro brew cans. A good brown ale, especially for something from a can. Good flavor and consistency, overall very drinkable from a nice cold can when outside in some nice weather.

Duck Rabbit Craft Brewery - Amber Ale (draft)
I really enjoyed this beer. A lighter ale, but not without flavor. Was very easy to drink but not "light beerish".

These were the only the beers I actually drank myself. Sampled many others from some friends and the girlfriend. Sorry for my lack of technical description. For me it either comes down to being enjoyable and something I would drink again or not.

Apr 27, 2011 at 3:35 AM Post #1,289 of 2,001
So I'm in Michigan for the rest of the week and definitely drinking the largest variety of craft brews I can. Just got through three Founders' (red rye, double trouble, dark porter). Each was definitely nice but I've been a person with beef towards beers that fall to the bitter side. IPA's, and pretty much all three Founders, fall a little bit too far. I'm worried that they might not have been at their freshest, though, because last time I had their Dark Porter I particularly loved it... I may have been a little too inebriated to really notice it, mind you.

Well apart from buying the full line-up of Unibroue (that's tomorrow ;P) I'm open to some suggestions for American craft brews

Apr 27, 2011 at 3:53 AM Post #1,290 of 2,001
I ended up back in Arizona the past few days. Just drank a few Imperial pints of Humbolt Hemp ale, but that bar closes early. I'm currentlly at a pace where the best available is Sam Adams. I enjoy it well enough. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back