Official Team BEER-FI (Beer Appreciation Thread!)
Mar 6, 2011 at 4:50 PM Post #1,216 of 2,001
Grand Cru is usually used by wineries and breweries to indicate that it's a flagship type offering, usually higher in abv compared to other offerings as well. 

Quote:
Sounds good. Can anyone tell me what exactly a "Grand Cru" is? I have had some before and really liked them.

Mar 7, 2011 at 3:31 PM Post #1,218 of 2,001
Deschites Porter, not a conniseur of porters by any means but this one was really tasty, had a porter from Left Hand as well, but I preferred  the Deschutes. Real tasty, Oregon's been doing me right lately. If anyone has some recommendations for some good porters I'm all ears. 

Mar 7, 2011 at 3:37 PM Post #1,219 of 2,001
I liked Anchors Porter and the Milk Stout very much, but I'm not very experienced (yet) in American beers. They really make some wonderful ones over there these days, I'm beginning to learn

Had something called Gonzo imperial porter, if I recall correct, which I didn't like though

Mar 7, 2011 at 3:57 PM Post #1,220 of 2,001

Quote:
I liked Anchors Porter and the Milk Stout very much, but I'm not very experienced (yet) in American beers. They really make some wonderful ones over there these days, I'm beginning to learn

Had something called Gonzo imperial porter, if I recall correct, which I didn't like though

Yes I also had a bottle of the Gonzo, it's from flying dog, which I think is in Maryland. It's heavy on the roasted (almost burnt) flavor, which I think a lot of people are turned off by. I thought it was pretty good, but both my friends agreed with you. You should try the Deschutes, it doesn't hit as hard as the Gonzo, a little more "savory" if you will

Mar 7, 2011 at 4:44 PM Post #1,221 of 2,001

Quote:
Yes I also had a bottle of the Gonzo, it's from flying dog, which I think is in Maryland. It's heavy on the roasted (almost burnt) flavor, which I think a lot of people are turned off by. I thought it was pretty good, but both my friends agreed with you. You should try the Deschutes, it doesn't hit as hard as the Gonzo, a little more "savory" if you will

Unfortunately I have to go with the ones I can get here in Holland: http://www.bierenzo.nl/index.php?cPath=84_88_127 
Well, better something then nothing offcourse:)

Mar 7, 2011 at 5:45 PM Post #1,222 of 2,001
Deschites Porter, not a conniseur of porters by any means but this one was really tasty, had a porter from Left Hand as well, but I preferred  the Deschutes. Real tasty, Oregon's been doing me right lately. If anyone has some recommendations for some good porters I'm all ears. 

Bell's porter is always tasty. As is Founders Porter.

Mar 7, 2011 at 10:09 PM Post #1,223 of 2,001
Deschutes is a very good brewery.  I've enjoyed all the beers that I've tried in their regular and seasonal line up and in their reserved series. 

Mar 7, 2011 at 10:48 PM Post #1,224 of 2,001
X3 on Deschutes! I've been a fan for years. The best was when I lived outside Bend and could visit their pub. Black Butte Porter is even better on nitro. :)

You can't get it outside Oregon and a couple of Washington spots, but McMenamin's Terminator Stout is even better. My only problem with it is cutting myself off. When I'm up there, I check in at a McMenamin's hotel and indulge deeply. I only need to wander back to my room, no driving necessary. :D You can get Terminator in bottles from a McMenamin's, but I've never seen it offered retail.

Mar 21, 2011 at 11:09 AM Post #1,225 of 2,001
I had an interesting tasting last week. Visited the Magic Hat Brewery in Burlington, Vermont. In celebration of St. Patrick's day they had a single cask of their special, no release Brutale Imperial Black Stout which was only avalible for tasting on two days last week. While I am not a fan of most of their current offerings, this was a great beer. A black, syrup-like stout, that was just full of tons of flavors. Easy to drink, but not too easy to drink, it went down well. It is too bad this beer won't be even put into limited production, it was one of the better beers I have had in a while.

Also had a chance to sample all the other Magic Hat offerings and some other microbrews from the Vermont Brewpub.

Mar 21, 2011 at 11:37 AM Post #1,226 of 2,001
I know Discovery Channel has a show about brewing beer. Has anyone seen it already? Right here the show is on a Tuesday which means I can't see it because of other stuff I have to do.

Mar 21, 2011 at 12:04 PM Post #1,227 of 2,001
That would be Brewmasters, about the Dogfish Head Brewery. Their beers are usually great, although hugely overpriced in my mind. Their Indian Brown Ale is one of my favorites. Also just sampled their Midas Touch a few weeks ago and it was very interesting. I caught the first few episodes, but its on at a time that I am usually not around.

One of my goals this summer is to get to their brewery, although it is Southern Deleware and very far out of the way for anywhere I could possibly be going. Supposedly their brewery and Brewpubs in the Deleware/Maryland area are supposed to be great as well.

Mar 21, 2011 at 12:39 PM Post #1,228 of 2,001
I definitely have a love hate relationship with Dogfish Head.  Some of their off centered beer worked really well for my tastes, as I enjoyed Chateau Jiahu and Theobroma, some were just ok (Miles Davis' Bitches Brew imperial stout was a bit too thin and lacking), and some were just not good (World Wide Stout batches over the last two years have been a mess, smelling of ethanol).  Their seasonal line up and year round line up is decent enough, with the current spring release of Aprihop being a nice thirst quencher.  I won't call any of the DFH beers my favorites for any one style though. 

Mar 26, 2011 at 9:13 AM Post #1,229 of 2,001
just sampled their Midas Touch a few weeks ago and it was very interesting.

I also had the chance to try this one a few weeks ago. I definitely liked it, maybe not as much as some of their other brews. Last night I had me some Bluepoint Blueberry Ale. This has been my goto for when I drink at home. Otherwise there are a few good bars with nice selection or places I can refill my beer jug. Brooklyn. Awesome for microbrews.

Mar 26, 2011 at 9:31 AM Post #1,230 of 2,001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proglover

hehe, we do share borders with 2 classic beer making countries; Germany and Belgium. Plus UK (and Scotland) is very near.

Germany and Belgium make some truly great beers and Scotland obviously famed for some of the finest Whiskey but alas the UK? well, we have a few decent micro brewers and make some foreign beers under licence (Carlsburg / San Miguel / Grolsch / Steller Artois etc...) but don't do a good job of any of them to be truthful.

My daily brew is imported San Miguel which I get from a limited source but it's becoming harder to get here in the UK. I have tried many continental beers but always come back to my malty San Miguel, there's nothing comes close for me...

We do make some good Cider tho!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back