Official Team BEER-FI (Beer Appreciation Thread!)
Feb 21, 2011 at 5:42 AM Post #1,186 of 2,001
Last week I read in the newspaper that Stone Brewing Co (Arrogant person Ale) is looking to open up a brewery in Bruges, Belgium or in another european country. I'm rooting for Bruges!

I also just found this very recent USA review about my favorite belgian Beer: Duvel
You can find it here: http://allthesamesong.tumblr.com/post/3368722343/beer-review-0017-duvel

Feb 21, 2011 at 1:50 PM Post #1,187 of 2,001
Indeed a nice beer. I always poured the whole bottle in my glass (never knew that Duvel advises to leave ~1cm in the bottle).

Feb 23, 2011 at 8:06 PM Post #1,189 of 2,001
Never saw the Pale Ale, the Irish Black is good stuff though.

I actually tried two new things this weekend. Stone Double Arrogant person Ale, which is like the regular Arrogant person, only a bit strong. Overall not a bad beer.

The other new beer was the Saranac Imperial Stout. Very strong, flavorful beer. Very enjoyable after a long day skiing in the mountains. I like many of the Saranac beers, just wishing I could find a six pack of the Caramel Porter somewhere, I had some in a mix pack and it was awesome.

Feb 25, 2011 at 5:45 PM Post #1,190 of 2,001
Picked up a bottle of Dogfish Head Fort last night. It's an 18% abv ale brewed with raspberries. I wasn't prepared for the utter heaviness of the fruit I was expecting a lighter taste. Despite that it is quite good, although at 18% it made my night a little short.

Also nabbed a 4 pack of Flying Dog Double Dog (Double Pale Ale, 11.5% abv). Having previously sampled their Belgian IPA (Raging [female dog]) I knew I was in for a treat. And boy did it deliver! The one thing I was worried about was that it would be overly hoppy and luckily it was not. Sooooo tasty!

So I'm throwing the gauntlet down! Anyone got anything better than this?

Feb 26, 2011 at 7:26 AM Post #1,191 of 2,001
I have not tried the Double Dog, but some DIPAs you should try are the Bell's Hopslam, New Holland Imperial Hatter, Founders Double Trouble, Shorts Liberator. All are excellent!

Feb 26, 2011 at 3:27 PM Post #1,192 of 2,001
I am having a "Kasteel Tripel" right now. I can not believe how clear this beer looks for a tripel and I don't like that much. Also, the beer died as soon as it hit the glass (perhaps it wasn't dry enough?) and the taste is far from complex. Not too impressed.

Feb 28, 2011 at 12:26 AM Post #1,195 of 2,001
4126669910_eabcc29da5.jpg

Enjoying a bottle of Baird Dark Sky Imperial Stout that is brewed in Japan. This is a great beer that I should have picked up a few more bottles when I had the chance. It has medium body mouthfeel and has an aroma of fresh baked bread and hints of coffee. You can taste hints of dark chocolate, coffee, spice, and the roasted malts. A very drinkable beer where the alcohol doesn't overpower the other characteristics of the beer. As it's qouted on label on the back of the bottle "Please drink contemplatively, Beer Drinker-san".

Mar 3, 2011 at 5:25 PM Post #1,198 of 2,001
I'm still recovering from SF Beer Week and drinking a lot of very good beer.  Some highlights from beer week include:

Kern River Citra DIPA: An absolute grapefruit bomb of a beer, very aromatic, but drinks fairly smooth with a good balance of citrus hops and the malt.  A very dry and lingering hop bitter finish.

Highwater Brewing Hop Riot: Very nice IPA from this new brewer who's using the equipment at Drakes (another local brewer) to make his beer.  Citrus and tropical fruits with a touch of piney and grassy hops.  Very easy to drink

The Bruery Oude Tart with sour cherries:  Tart and juicy red fruits that you can smell from the glass that's several feet away from you.  Excellent tartness with just enough sweet fruit and malts to keep it from being vinegar. 

I tend to only have 3-4 weeks on a normal week, so multiple beer events over a period of nine days was more than I normally drink.  It was a lot of fun and had a lot of amazing beers though. 

Mar 3, 2011 at 6:33 PM Post #1,199 of 2,001
Hi guys,
I am pretty excited since I just got my mash tun finished today.  That means that it is time to make the transition from extract brewing to all grain brewing.  I am probably going to start with a nut brown ale.  Then I think I am going to go with a New Glarus Spotted cow clone.  I already have way too much beer bottled to drink.

Mar 5, 2011 at 7:44 AM Post #1,200 of 2,001

Quote:
Hi guys,
I am pretty excited since I just got my mash tun finished today.  That means that it is time to make the transition from extract brewing to all grain brewing.  I am probably going to start with a nut brown ale.  Then I think I am going to go with a New Glarus Spotted cow clone.  I already have way too much beer bottled to drink.

nice, please do not hesistate to share pics with us if you make them:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back