Official Team BEER-FI (Beer Appreciation Thread!)
Jul 16, 2010 at 8:10 AM Post #873 of 2,001

Quote:
Actually, most beer has preservatives (and not just hops which are natural preservatives).  The beer I get in small micro-breweries to order can't last even a couple of days in room temperature.  Oh, and I've just tried it, it's nice. :)  Feels a little "drunk beer", just a couple gets you tipsy.

Wouldn't be surprised if Bud or Miller had preservatives, but that is not what I mean by 'beer.'

Not sure why the beer you are buying won't last even a couple of days (not entirely sure what you mean by this) but I have bought obscene amounts of beer from the tiniest of microbreweries and have had no problem with it keeping for days, months, weeks, and years. Do you mean strictly in growler form?

My main point being that beer being advertised as all-natural and preservative free might as well argue that the beer is wet and contains alcohol. Any beer from a decent producer will be all-natural.

Jul 16, 2010 at 8:50 AM Post #874 of 2,001
I think it's odd how we demonize preservatives. It wasn't so long ago that death by food poisoning was a far more common occurance. And if these things are so bad for us, why does life expectancy continue to increase?

Jul 17, 2010 at 2:04 PM Post #881 of 2,001

Quote:
I'm not going to disagree, but have you ever tried anything from Nøge Ø? Recently heard of them, and I'm courious. I've not tasted any of their beers. I might do so in the very near future.

http://www.nogne-o.com

Yeah, in all fairness the beer from Nøgne Ø is quite or even really nice.
Have tried a few of their product, one being the "Hvit" - a really light and easy consumable one.

The larger breweries like Ringnes, Hansa, Mack, Frydenlund, Grans on the other hand. Not quite of my taste.

Jul 17, 2010 at 4:08 PM Post #882 of 2,001
Quote:
Yeah, in all fairness the beer from Nøgne Ø is quite or even really nice.
Have tried a few of their product, one being the "Hvit" - a really light and easy consumable one.

The larger breweries like Ringnes, Hansa, Mack, Frydenlund, Grans on the other hand. Not quite of my taste.

Very well then. I'm definately gonna stop by 'Vinmonopolet' next week and see if they have any in stock.

My date tonight is a Newcastle Brown Ale. Nothing fancy, but whenever I'm buying beer at the local store, that's the one I end up with. It has always treated me right
normal_smile .gif

Jul 19, 2010 at 7:58 PM Post #884 of 2,001
113415.jpg

Just had a bottle of Blue Moon Grand Cru 2009 last night. This was a limited winter release last year and I had intended to open it earlier. The first thing I noticed about this beer is that it had a lot of sediment in the bottle. I had thought the beer had gone bad with all the sediment floating in it but then remembered that the beer is bottled unfiltered. The beer has a cloudy appearance just like a Belgian wheat beer or Hefeweizen style beer should. The beer is easily drinkable with a slight citrus peel taste and a mild spicy warm finish. A perfect beer for the cold winter months but also enjoyable during the summer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back