Official Team BEER-FI (Beer Appreciation Thread!)
Apr 13, 2010 at 9:34 PM Post #796 of 2,001
IMG_2025.jpg

A fantastic tripel, but not quite as good as Westmalle's IMO and more pricey.

IMG_2027.jpg

This was my first Dubbel, and I didn't expect the level of hop presence, honestly! Now I'm starting to see how this whole Dubbel-Tripel-Quadrupel thing wokrs. I still prefer the tripel style for its smooth homogeneity but I couldn't find a single fault with this dubbel and I think I'll have a hard time finding something that comes close because this was just so darn good. Very high flavor for a 7.0%, too. The taste is largely hops, typical high Belgian carbonation levels, dark malts present in quads but at subdued levels compared to the other flavors.

edit: By the way, anywhere I can order a reasonably priced chalice?

Apr 13, 2010 at 9:51 PM Post #797 of 2,001
Quote:

edit: By the way, anywhere I can order a reasonably priced chalice?

Chimay sells a sampler pack for about $15 that includes a chalice.

Apr 13, 2010 at 10:39 PM Post #798 of 2,001
Quote:

Originally Posted by nealric /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Chimay sells a sampler pack for about $15 that includes a chalice.

So if I told my local store I wanted that, they could get it from their distributor?

Apr 14, 2010 at 8:25 AM Post #799 of 2,001
I'm gonna start selling Belgian beer glasses on ebay soon, no joke.
I have them all at home, just need time to put them on ebay
biggrin.gif

Good to see we won 4 or 5 prices at the World Beer Cup in the States

Apr 14, 2010 at 2:41 PM Post #800 of 2,001
Bought a four pack of Young's Double Chocolate Stout in bottle form and it was absolutely horrendous. I had it on tap at a bar and it was my favorite beer around, but man was this a disappointment. Tasted thin, watery and grossly carbonated. The head looked completely different as well. What a waste, I don't even want to drink the rest.

Apr 15, 2010 at 12:40 AM Post #801 of 2,001
Bummer nhancakes!

Can't believe it would be so bad in the bottle. Expired by chance?

I know Young's bottles their brews in dark glass so sun shouldn't have bothered it

Perhaps try a pint'ish bottle from a large reseller who moves a lot of stock. That way you're less likely to get the old stuff.

Anyway, tonight I'm enjoying a nice Magic Hat seasonal. Delicious!

Apr 17, 2010 at 12:28 AM Post #802 of 2,001
What I bought today:

25790_385385352465_502332465_4311558_2997105_n.jpg

R to L:

Ommegang BPA (picked up another as I think I want to enjoy one solo and the other will be brought to this weeks gathering at my gf's parents)
The Bruery Mischief (same story as above)
Rouge Double Mocha Porter (was told very very good things from my local beer man)
Stone Cali-Belgique (so many on here raved about it...figured I'd give it a shot)
Brewdog Bashah (I've become a HUGE fan of almost everything they put out..had to give it a shot)
BrewDog Paradox Smokehead (I've read nothing but good things but I'm going to let this sit for a bit)
J.W. Lees Harvest Ale (Lagavulin Whisky Cask) (I shouldn't have to explain why I bought this)
DFH ApriHop (It's summer.....why not)
Péché Mortel (Imperial Stout Au Cafe) (The only one I had no clue what it was and I'm hoping it lives up to the reviews I'm reading now)

Then my regular williamsburge ale works and bells beers

Currently sipping on Rogues' Single Malt Ale and I must say they struck out big time on this. The beer is lacking in most every department...I don't even know where to start. Just don't buy any, please...I'm going to finish this and wash it down with something much better....like, pbr.

IMG_6100.jpg

The "cellar" is full but the bells, ommegang, and flying dog are all going to be consumed and I'll be making room for my bottle of sink the bizmark (whenever it arrives...I was told I got in on batch 4 so here's hoping I'll get it soon).

Apr 17, 2010 at 1:02 AM Post #803 of 2,001
Quote:

Originally Posted by MD1032 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So if I told my local store I wanted that, they could get it from their distributor?

Don't do it. Trust me. The quality of the Chimay Trappist glass is total crap. It's super thin glass and breaks way too easily. I've gone through three of them over the years and will not be buying another. Do yourself a favor and buy the 4 pack of Duvel that comes with their tulip glass. It's one of the best beer drinking devices on the planet and pretty much the only glass you need.

If you want a true wide top Trappist seek out a vintage offering on ebay made from thick glass. It will be cheaper than the Chimay kit and hold up much longer. Better yet, go to the Dogfish Head website and buy one of their signature glasses for $7. You'll love it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lost in va /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What I bought today:
IMG_6100.jpg

The "cellar" is full but the bells, ommegang, and flying dog are all going to be consumed and I'll be making room for my bottle of sink the bizmark (whenever it arrives...I was told I got in on batch 4 so here's hoping I'll get it soon).

Very nice score lost! I absolutely love all the Bells offerings. The 9000 is damn good but the Expedition is still my favorite. About to head over to the local pub in an hour. They got the Hopslam in this afternoon. I've had it in the bottle a few times but have been looking to try it on draft.

Love seeing the Aventinus in the lineup. It's in my top three of all time. It just does it for me. Perfect amount of sweetness, malt, and carbonation for my tastes. I love the aftertaste that I like to describe as a mixture of bananas and marshmallow. I actually prefer the regular to the Eisbock version and go through at least a case a month. Luckily my local pub keeps it and Weihenstephan on tap at all times.

Enjoy your loot. I'm eager to hear your impressions regarding the Stone Cali and Rogue Double Mocha. Cheers.

Apr 17, 2010 at 1:21 AM Post #804 of 2,001
Quote:

Originally Posted by subtle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Very nice score lost! I absolutely love all the Bells offerings. The 9000 is damn good but the Expedition is still my favorite. About to head over to the local pub in an hour. They got the Hopslam in this afternoon. I've had it in the bottle a few times but have been looking to try it on draft.

Love seeing the Aventinus in the lineup. It's in my top three of all time. It just does it for me. Perfect amount of sweetness, malt, and carbonation for my tastes. I love the aftertaste that I like to describe as a mixture of bananas and marshmallow. I actually prefer the regular to the Eisbock version and go through at least a case a month. Luckily my local pub keeps it and Weihenstephan on tap at all times.

Enjoy your loot. I'm eager to hear your impressions regarding the Stone Cali and Rogue Double Mocha. Cheers.

I've heard nothing but bad things since I bought the 9000. My local guy said I had go to get some because it was a rarity but later apologized because it wasn't anything close to what he expected.

The double cream is without a doubt one of my favorites from bells.

That Aventinus is actually a vintage 2004. I'm hoping for the best out of it in the next year or so.

Apr 17, 2010 at 1:35 AM Post #805 of 2,001
Quote:

Originally Posted by lost in va /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've heard nothing but bad things since I bought the 9000. My local guy said I had go to get some because it was a rarity but later apologized because it wasn't anything close to what he expected.

The double cream is without a doubt one of my favorites from bells.

That Aventinus is actually a vintage 2004. I'm hoping for the best out of it in the next year or so.

I didn't mind the 9000 at all. It's not epic like the Expedition or Double Cream Stout but it's worth trying. I wouldn't buy it over those other two though.

I've had the 2004 Aventinus before. The one that comes wrapped in the white paper with the purple ribbon and tag? I honestly couldn't tell a difference between it and a current bottle and I tried them side by side one evening. Perhaps my palette isn't refined enough?

The only beer I'm ageing at the moment is the 120 Minute. I have a bottle from each of the four batches from 2004 and 2005 stored away. I'll give them another two or three years and see how they turn out.

Apr 17, 2010 at 4:21 AM Post #806 of 2,001
IMG_2031.jpg

Konings Hoeven Tripel - I was a little disappointed by this one. Darker appearance due to darker malts...well, can't say I exactly wanted that in my tripel. I'm used to lighter malts and a clearer appearance. The flavor was just slightly lacking overall, I'd say, but still excellent. Still, again. St. Bernardus is cheaper and better...the more I compare, the more I realize that Westmalle and St. Bernardus have become my standards.

IMG_2033.jpg

Brewdog/Stone Bashah "Black Belgian DIPA"??? Give me a break, this is a cross between a porter and a DIPA, and there's absolutely nothing Belgian about it. It was really good, actually, a really fine example of an American Strong Ale in my opinion. I loved how the syrupey sweet chocolateness of the dark malts (giving it that characteristic porter low-end) mixed with the high-end bite of the hops just made this beer a real pleasure overall. There's only one problem...the price was atrocious...it was like $7-8 for this tiny bottle. Are you kidding me? Don't get me wrong, I loved it and I'm glad I bought it, but jeez, just don't even bother...they're asking too much. Oh, and I don't know anything about BrewDog, but this really rang home as a Stone product for me.

Apr 17, 2010 at 2:54 PM Post #807 of 2,001
Quote:

Originally Posted by subtle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do yourself a favor and buy the 4 pack of Duvel that comes with their tulip glass. It's one of the best beer drinking devices on the planet and pretty much the only glass you need.

+1

Another vote for the Duvel glass. I just love drinking good beers out of these things. Top notch stuff.

I ordered a pair of glasses and a Duvel T-Shirt from Ommegang's website several years ago. They had a problem in the shipping department, so they doubled my order of glasses free of charge. Very
cool.gif

Apr 17, 2010 at 6:00 PM Post #808 of 2,001
Quote:

Originally Posted by MD1032 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There's only one problem...the price was atrocious...it was like $7-8 for this tiny bottle. Are you kidding me? Don't get me wrong, I loved it and I'm glad I bought it, but jeez, just don't even bother...they're asking too much. Oh, and I don't know anything about BrewDog, but this really rang home as a Stone product for me.

They've addressed this and are working on it:

Quote:

We realize we have had issues with our beers in the US market. We have worked on pricing and are doing all we can here. We get paid $0.75 for a 330ml bottle of DIPA. It is the freight, killer exchange rates, import, tax costs combined with the margin multiplying effect of the US 3 tier system which means our beers are expensive in the US. We are also working hard to improve the quality and consistency of our beers, getting craft beers to travel well is tough for a new brewery. We have had issues with carbonation and recently installed a whole new system to change the way we carbonate which now results in much higher and more consistent carbonation. In addition we are now working with new yeast (after prolonged trials) which massively reduces off-flavors in our 7-10% ales. People have to realise that we are just over 2 years old as a brewery. Aspiring to brew world class craft beers is pretty much all we care about. We are completely committed to getting there and completely committed to brewing the best beers we can and constantly striving to improve quality and consistency of our products.

Apr 18, 2010 at 3:13 PM Post #809 of 2,001
Interesting. I can't believe their profit margins are that low...that's utterly ridiculous.

Apr 19, 2010 at 11:44 PM Post #810 of 2,001
Had a Coney Island Human Blockhead last night and I must say that it tasted exactly like a toned down version of a DFH 120. I enjoyed it quite a bit and that's saying a lot because I HATED the 120. Less syrup, less alcohol, less hop in your face.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back