Official Team BEER-FI (Beer Appreciation Thread!)
Apr 21, 2010 at 10:36 PM Post #826 of 2,001
And tonight we have Terrible ale! lol

Found this lovely dark at a general store in Plainfield. They claim to be a Microbrew HQ for the region which is cool. A nice selection of local and import brews can be found here.

Quite complex on the palate. Dark fruits, heavy malt, and strong carbonation immediately come to mind. A nice thick head forms at first, but tapers off with distinct lacing. A stout ale at 10% to be enjoyed at a leisurely pace. Yum!

Apr 22, 2010 at 12:29 AM Post #827 of 2,001
Quote:

Originally Posted by ziplock /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And tonight we have Terrible ale! lol

Found this lovely dark at a general store in Plainfield. They claim to be a Microbrew HQ for the region which is cool. A nice selection of local and import brews can be found here.

Quite complex on the palate. Dark fruits, heavy malt, and strong carbonation immediately come to mind. A nice thick head forms at first, but tapers off with distinct lacing. A stout ale at 10% to be enjoyed at a leisurely pace. Yum!

Sounds good. I think I'll give this a try sometime. I saw it in the store and laughed quite a lot..."terrible" being a French/English joke, of course.

Apr 22, 2010 at 3:27 AM Post #829 of 2,001
Quote:

Originally Posted by subtle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anything in a green or clear bottle is questionably garbage due to being tainted by light. Saison Dupont being the only exception. Just my opinion.

Budweiser Budvar, the only pilsner for me.
tongue_smile.gif

Apr 23, 2010 at 12:29 AM Post #830 of 2,001
IMG_2041.jpg

Clearly, there is an art to pouring these beers into these stupid goblets that I have not mastered! My friend had a tripel last night in this glass and tonight I had a dubbel and both beers, zero head. Oh well. The goblet makes the beer taste different...honestly, I prefer the more closed Coca-Cola flute glass or even the mug...the goblet doesn't concentrate the smell as much and it tastes mellower, but less intense. Still, the difference is like 1%, and the beer is amazing regardless. This isn't as mellow and balanced as the Westmalle, but it is extremely, extremely strong and absolutely delicious, reminding me of a good "Strong Ale" almost. I don't think it's as perfect as the Westmalle but it's not going to stop me from buying it again when it's so much cheaper and you could argue that this beer is better in some ways.

Apr 23, 2010 at 7:29 AM Post #831 of 2,001
I tried the Duvel Green (7%) for the first time last night and was pretty disappointed.
Normal Duvel tastes so much better but maybe I was expecting too much

This weekend is Trappist Weekend: Tripel Westmalle, La trappe and Chimay coming up

You should try "Keizer Karel" if you can find it
smily_headphones1.gif

CHARLES QUINT BEER

And you know I don't agree on the glasses, they do are important to get the taste the beer is supposed to have
wink.gif

Apr 23, 2010 at 4:49 PM Post #832 of 2,001
Just wait until you try the Westmalle...that beer is one of my all-time favorites. Extremely good.

Apr 23, 2010 at 11:52 PM Post #833 of 2,001
Quote:

Originally Posted by MD1032 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just wait until you try the Westmalle...that beer is one of my all-time favorites. Extremely good.

Have you ever tried Maredsous? (brewed under licence by Duval)
It's rather fresh and fruity for a tripel, absolutely one of my favourites.

Apr 24, 2010 at 12:10 AM Post #834 of 2,001
Quote:

Originally Posted by limpidglitch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Budweiser Budvar, the only pilsner for me.
tongue_smile.gif

Never been a fan of the Budvar/Czechvar. If I'm forced to drink a pilsner I'm going Urquell without hesitation.

Quote:

Originally Posted by limpidglitch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you ever tried Maredsous? (brewed under licence by Duval)
It's rather fresh and fruity for a tripel, absolutely one of my favourites.

Maredsous 10 is a decent tripel and a much cheaper alternative to Westmalle, but I'd take the tripels from Allagash, Chouffe, Westmalle, and Chimay over it assuming money wasn't an option. The Allagash brewery in Maine puts out an excellent dubbel, tripel, and quadrupel that easily contends with its European competitors.

Apr 24, 2010 at 5:30 AM Post #835 of 2,001
I tried the Allagash Tripel and it was horrible. It was so sweet I couldn't even drink it...I poured it down the drain.

Apr 25, 2010 at 12:43 AM Post #836 of 2,001
27802_387419517465_502332465_4364505_3446078_n.jpg

Rouge Double Mocha
Avery The Czar
Tröegs Flying Mouflan (****ing stoked to get my hands on a bottle)
Left Hand Oak Aged Imperial Stout
Mikkeller Beer Geek Breakfast
Avery Mephistopheles
Bells Expedition Stout
Bells Double Cream
Williamsburg Alewerks Coffeehouse Stout

Apr 25, 2010 at 3:44 AM Post #837 of 2,001
Quote:

Never been a fan of the Budvar/Czechvar. If I'm forced to drink a pilsner I'm going Urquell without hesitation.

Urquell seems to mee too one-dimensional. Then again, simplicity is often the very reason for choosing a pilsner.

Quote:

Maredsous 10 is a decent tripel and a much cheaper alternative to Westmalle, but I'd take the tripels from Allagash, Chouffe, Westmalle, and Chimay over it assuming money wasn't an option. The Allagash brewery in Maine puts out an excellent dubbel, tripel, and quadrupel that easily contends with its European competitors.

Not much american brews to be had over here, to be frank. A real shame as I contiue to hear a lot of good things. Not that we live with a great shortage of great brews to choose from, but more and more diverce is alway merrier.

Apr 25, 2010 at 6:05 AM Post #838 of 2,001
Quote:

Originally Posted by MD1032 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I tried the Allagash Tripel and it was horrible. It was so sweet I couldn't even drink it...I poured it down the drain.

Interesting. Maybe it just wasn't your night? Depending on what I have eaten earlier in the day a beer can taste drastically different to me. I mainly drink imperial stouts and some nights they can taste much sweeter than the night before.

I don't find the Allagash Tripel to be a sweet Tripel at all. If you didn't like it you definitely want to avoid their Quad called Four.

Apr 25, 2010 at 6:16 AM Post #839 of 2,001
Quote:

Interesting. Maybe it just wasn't your night? Depending on what I have eaten earlier in the day a beer can taste drastically different to me. I mainly drink imperial stouts and some nights they can taste much sweeter than the night before.

I don't find the Allagash Tripel to be a sweet Tripel at all. If you didn't like it you definitely want to avoid their Quad called Four.

I actually suspect that it was bad, but how could I tell? There was no freshness date on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back