Official Team BEER-FI (Beer Appreciation Thread!)
Feb 2, 2010 at 3:06 PM Post #691 of 2,001
Quote:

Originally Posted by Joshatdot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hercules Double IPA (10.0% ABV! IBU 85)
- Light flowery hops aromatics, amber/caramel malts too
- Medium body, abit of creamy CO2 feel
- Pretty bitter, but a different bitter than I've had before, not face twisting bitter
- Light flowery hops, but a malty, bitter, medium thickness bitter taste
- Aftertaste has a lil kick of something else bitter too, has trails of nutty & citrus flavors
- Dang this is alcoholy too at 10%! Prolly one of the most ABV IPA that I can remember
- I prolly would but it again, though if there was other IPAs I would get them 1st
- Recommend if you want a different pretty bitter IPA that'll get ya crunk fast
- over all score.. I guess 6.5/10

There are far better DIPAs than this for less money. I remember buying this and just being totally disappointed. It's good, but I wanted a double IPA, and it was hardly strong enough especially with all the unnecessary malt they put in it. Very drinkable stuff, but you can get nearly the same thing out of Lagunitas's Hop Stoopid for $5 instead of the $9 Great Divide charges for theirs, and even then, I'd still rather have a Ruination.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 2, 2010 at 7:50 PM Post #692 of 2,001
Quote:

2009 Pike Entire Wood Aged Stout (9.5% ABV, IBU 65, OG 1.092)
- Plastic dipped bottle top .. friggin difficult to de-cap!
- Also costs $11.99 USD for a 22oz!
- Ultra CO2! Lots and Lots and Lots of Head! Pour with Patience & Care!
- Took 5+ mins for the initial head to go down to pour more into the glass!
- Dark, bitter-sweet, brown sugar, chocolatey malts aromatics
- Mmmmm...DANG! Initial taste is dark but bitter-sweet, smokey chocolate
- Very CO2 feeling, but t-h-i-c-k ... makes me burp almost after drinking!
- Re-taste is.. woody, bitter malty, bitter-sweet chocolate
- Aftertaste is .. umm .. similar, but of a dark dark roast espresso, non sweet chocolate mocha
- Whoa, very different! very CO2-y, makes me burp alot
- Again! do not pour quick or without care! will overflow glass if not carefull!
- If you like CO2 + dark dark, smokey, espresso, bitter non sweet mocha's, get this...
- Not sure if I'd buy it again...it's not bad, but not my thing, 6/10

Looks interesting. I'm going to give this a try.

Feb 3, 2010 at 8:51 AM Post #693 of 2,001
Ah why did I stumble into this thread... I've been saving money by keeping beers out of my fridge but now I'm really tempted to stock up on anything Stone brewed.

Feb 3, 2010 at 10:32 AM Post #694 of 2,001
Quote:

Originally Posted by skitlets /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ah why did I stumble into this thread... I've been saving money by keeping beers out of my fridge but now I'm really tempted to stock up on anything Stone brewed.

You can't go wrong with a beer in one hand and cans on your head.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 4, 2010 at 5:20 AM Post #695 of 2,001
Count me in on Team Beer-fi. I recently changed my Beer Advocate username to match this one. I'm posting this as I finish off a Bell's Expedition Stout (Russian Imperial Stout, 10.5%, amazing)

Is it bad that three of things I'm looking forward to the most for the year so far are: my upcoming delivery of headphones, going to Bell's this weekend to buy a case of Batch 9000, and going to Dark Lord Day 2010?

Feb 4, 2010 at 5:31 AM Post #696 of 2,001
Quote:

Originally Posted by derek800 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dogfish Head 90 minute IPA is a tasty potent beer.

I've had VERY mixed opinions on the 90 minute. Reading on BA led me to a thread with the common opinion that you need to drink it as fresh as possible, otherwise you will get what I consider a sweet mess.

If you like the 90 minute, which I consider a double IPA, you should also check into Three Floyd's Dreadnaught IPA. And I can't imagine anything better than getting several of Bell's Oracle and listening to my favorite tunes through the Senn Orpheus

edit: After writing this I was worried these would be out of reach for you. But being in Detroit makes at least the Dreadnaught accessible (Oracle not in production, but originated out of Kalamazoo)

Feb 7, 2010 at 3:03 PM Post #697 of 2,001
Quote:

Originally Posted by zachary80 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Count me in on Team Beer-fi. I recently changed my Beer Advocate username to match this one. I'm posting this as I finish off a Bell's Expedition Stout (Russian Imperial Stout, 10.5%, amazing)

Crap, where did you find that stuff? I had two of Stone's Imperial Russian Stout (which I had bought as many as possible while they had em) and it was one of my favorite beers of all time.

The 90 Minute is very good, but I think it's a little overpriced, honestly.

Feb 12, 2010 at 5:53 AM Post #698 of 2,001
Today, I tried the new Sam Adams "Noble Pils". It's not bad, surprisingly. If you've ever had Harpoon IPA, it's actually somewhat similar but less hoppy. It's obvious that SA put a lot into the hop aroma on this one, but there's not too much hop taste (well duh, I guess, it's a pilsner). It's very drinkable...literally disappears in your stomach. I think they did a nice job but my main problem is that there's just a slight cheap funk in it like you'd find on a low-end mass-produced beer. I bet a fresher sample would be more gratifying, this was sitting in bottles at my local grocery store...something might have happened en route, you never know.

Feb 12, 2010 at 6:26 PM Post #699 of 2,001
Quote:

Originally Posted by MD1032 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Crap, where did you find that stuff? I had two of Stone's Imperial Russian Stout (which I had bought as many as possible while they had em) and it was one of my favorite beers of all time.

The 90 Minute is very good, but I think it's a little overpriced, honestly.

Right now I live in south-central Michigan, so I can get to a few breweries. Darkhorse is only 45 minutes away and has some good stuff. I normally stop at Darkhorse on my way to Bell's, since it is only like two miles off track. Bell's is maybe an hour and a half away, and another brewpub down the street called Olde Peninsula has awesome food. Additionally, my girlfriend is from Grand Rapids by Founders and New Holland, which is just another 45 past Bell's. As a result, two of my last three weekends have included Bell's.

I'm from Fort Wayne so whenever I go home I hit up one of the better stores there and pick up what I don't find in Michigan (although Grand Rapids has an even better selection). Three Floyd's is in NW Indiana (will be going there for Dark Lord Day), so that's stocked pretty well. Not to mention that Goose Island (going in March for some Bourbon County Coffee Stout, Nightstalker, and Demolition) and Great Lakes Brewing Co aren't very far away.

Quote:

Today, I tried the new Sam Adams "Noble Pils". It's not bad, surprisingly.

I picked some up as soon as I saw it in the local Kroger's. I too have been impressed, and it's not a style I'd normally consider

Feb 17, 2010 at 8:09 AM Post #700 of 2,001
img8369diamondindipa.jpg

Diamond Knot - Industrial IPA (7.9% ABV)
- Mind you, this review was done with the beer nearly room temperature, so it's taste is prolly abit off.
- Fresh, crisp Hoppy aromatics, not flowery or sweet, also abit malty/alcoholy too
- Amber malty taste with a nice clean medium hoppy bitterness, not flowery sweet
- Man I wish I didn't forget about this bottle on the counter for 4 hours...I am sure it would have tasted much different
- You certainly can taste the malty alcohoness of the 7.9%, I bet if it was cold it would be more clean/crisp on the palette
- I am going to have to get this again and review it cold, but overall it's pretty good room temperature, 7/10

Feb 17, 2010 at 8:16 AM Post #701 of 2,001
Quote:

There are far better DIPAs than this for less money. I remember buying this and just being totally disappointed. It's good, but I wanted a double IPA, and it was hardly strong enough especially with all the unnecessary malt they put in it. Very drinkable stuff, but you can get nearly the same thing out of Lagunitas's Hop Stoopid for $5 instead of the $9 Great Divide charges for theirs, and even then, I'd still rather have a Ruination.
smily_headphones1.gif

I've reviewed Hop Stoopid (it's on here some where)..it's a great beer! It is almost just like a Stone IPA or Ruination! I highly recommend that beer for an IPA lover.

Joshatdot's Beer Blog: Lagunitas - Hop Stoopid Ale

Feb 17, 2010 at 8:56 AM Post #702 of 2,001
img8372samadamsnoblepil.jpg

Samuel Adams - Noble Pils Lager
- Grains & hops aromatics, like a strong typical pilsner type smell
- Clean tasting hops, complex, not flowery or sweet like a dry or infused hop beer
- I really have a tuff time with these Lagers, very different to ID the different tastes
- Almost has a citrus/coriander flavor, but bitter
- I can taste the hops, they kinda blend in with one another, but has a woodsy type bitter taste
- Different .. its a Pilsner, but more robust & hoppy.
- I am not sure how to rank this, I don't think I am a Lager type of beer guy, 6/10

Feb 17, 2010 at 11:44 PM Post #704 of 2,001
Quote:

I've reviewed Hop Stoopid (it's on here some where)..it's a great beer! It is almost just like a Stone IPA or Ruination! I highly recommend that beer for an IPA lover.

Joshatdot's Beer Blog: Lagunitas - Hop Stoopid Ale

That's the only IPA/DIPA I've consistently re-bought. It's a phenomenal value and if they ever had it on sale I'd definitely consider buying a case.

This past weekend, I had a Smuttynose IPA, which was fantastic, liked eveything about it but the taste. Also had the famous Bell's Hopslam!, which was absolutely out of this world and resides in a two-person league with the Ruination for me at this point.

Feb 18, 2010 at 3:34 AM Post #705 of 2,001
Quote:

Originally Posted by lost in va /img/forum/go_quote.gif
From my latest trip to my local store:

What's the second from the left?

I want to try Choklat, but haven't found it. The only one of those I've had is the Batch 9000 (on tap and in bottles) and it is delicious

Users who are viewing this thread

Back