Official Team BEER-FI (Beer Appreciation Thread!)
Jan 22, 2010 at 7:27 AM Post #661 of 2,001
Quote:

Originally Posted by hockeyb213 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Question for you beer fans...I see a lot of people using the term smokey to describe the beer but being a minor and not having tried beer in my time and I don't know what that would relate to. Can anyone go into more detail on that?

Thanks

'

For 3 years I worked at a very high end beer bar in VA. I was a trainer there, taught hundreds of people about beer and its history, and still have a love from great beer.

Smokey beer is (for the most part) a 'Rauchbier'. The barley used is usually roasted on a fire, giving it a smokey flavor. The result is a beer that smells of wood chips/ bacon. The flavor is usually not smokey however, with the smell itself providing the taste profile. The best example of this beer currently in the US is German brewer Heller (find a good beer store). Left Hand Breweries made 'Smoke Jumper' years ago, as an experiment, but it is far too carbonated to be a smoke beer.

Jan 22, 2010 at 10:08 PM Post #662 of 2,001
Quote:

Originally Posted by SonicBrewtality /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry, but I have to just point out that your are 100% wrong. There is an entire style of beers based on one main taste and aroma, the Rauchbier. In English, the German style translates to "Smoke Beer." It is made by smoking the barley before brewing. Many other styles are also made with smaller amounts of smoked malt to give it a slight smoke note, as opposed to the punch-in-the-face smokiness of a true Rauchbier. The best example is Aecht Sherlenka Marzen Rauchbier. It smells almost exactly like a smoked pork butt wrapped in bacon. A truly delicious beer, especially with barbecue.

I never said I was right, but I do appreciate the explanation. I'll have to see if I can get a hold of that beer so I can see what this tastes like!!

By the way, I did have my Stone 13th Anniversary Ale last weekend. It was phenomenal...best way I can describe it would be it's the Arrogant person Ale and the Double person Ale flavors combined but with a strength greater than that of the Double person. Was it worth the $9? Barely, and that means that it was extremely good because I've had a lot of other $9 beers let me down.

I must say, Stone really knows what the heck they're doing.

Jan 25, 2010 at 7:58 AM Post #663 of 2,001
Quote:

Originally Posted by MD1032 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
~snip~
"Josh", if you're looking for a newer beer to try, I saw that Blue Moon released a new one that I saw in my local grocery store, "Grand Cru" I believe is it. Mind reviewing it?

Sure if I can find it
ksc75smile.gif

Jan 25, 2010 at 8:06 AM Post #664 of 2,001
Smoky to me is a dark porter & stout beers, with smells of dark firewood & slight burnt flavor. Imagine if you will, you are at a beach fire or camp fire and you've been roasting hotdogs and/or smores all night. The next day when you smell the clothing you wore that night...it's like that smell.

Smokey taste on the other hand, it's abit harder to describe, you just have to experience it...either it be smoked meats, fish, barley/grains in beer, etc...

Jan 25, 2010 at 8:08 AM Post #665 of 2,001
Smoky to me is a dark porter & stout beers, with smells of dark firewood & slight burnt flavor. Imagine if you will, you are at a beach fire or camp fire and you've been roasting hotdogs and/or smores all night. The next day when you smell the clothing you wore that night...it's like that smell.

Smokey taste on the other hand, it's abit harder to describe, you just have to experience it...either it be smoked meats, fish, coffee, barley/grains in beer, etc...

Jan 25, 2010 at 8:13 AM Post #666 of 2,001
So right now im having yuengling for the first time, and ive got to say, for a cheap american lager, its pretty damn good. Far better than either coors or bud or miller. Pretty tastey actually, gonna have to get my friend to bring me back some form vacation.

Jan 25, 2010 at 8:18 AM Post #667 of 2,001
img8174konapipelineport.jpg

Kona - Pipeline Porter, made with 100% Kona Coffee
- Not much aromatics, very light smoke & roasted coffee smell
- Clean, crisp, medium-heavy feel, CO2'd feel, not NO2 creamy feel (like Guinness)
- Also clean, crisp, dark malt flavor, abit of roasted coffee, not alot, but its there
- Kinda like the 'Scuttlebutt 10* Below' or 'Sheaf Stout', but lighter
- If you want to try a light-ish porter, not too thick/heavy give this a try
- I like it, not one of my top 10, but its good, 7/10

Jan 25, 2010 at 8:55 AM Post #668 of 2,001
img8178widmerw10ipa.jpg

Widmer - W'10 Pitch Black IPA (6.5% ABV)
- Light, fresh, flowery hops aromatics
- Whoa, clean & crisp, but abit bitter, flowery hops taste, not sweet flowery
- Not too bitter or strong, but a good balance
- Medium body, slight creamy feel
- Aftertaste is fairly clean, trails of the hops & alcohol malts
- Different from Stone IPA/Ruination, but in a good way, I like this
- If you like Stone's, and want something abit crisper, not so sweet hoppy, try this, 8.5/10

Jan 26, 2010 at 5:43 AM Post #669 of 2,001
Wow, I had an excellent beer tonight. Sam Smith's "Taddy Porter". What an exceptionally well-balanced and highly drinkable beer! I don't know what the difference between Stout and Porter is (could anyone enlighten me), but I've had some beers lately that have made me seriously consider exploring that style.

Jan 26, 2010 at 1:02 PM Post #670 of 2,001
Here you go:

Quote:

12A. Brown Porter

Aroma: Malt aroma with mild roastiness should be evident, and may have a chocolaty quality. May also show some non-roasted malt character in support (caramelly, grainy, bready, nutty, toffee-like and/or sweet). English hop aroma moderate to none. Fruity esters moderate to none. Diacetyl low to none.

Appearance: Light brown to dark brown in color, often with ruby highlights when held up to light. Good clarity, although may approach being opaque. Moderate off-white to light tan head with good to fair retention.

Flavor: Malt flavor includes a mild to moderate roastiness (frequently with a chocolate character) and often a significant caramel, nutty, and/or toffee character. May have other secondary flavors such as coffee, licorice, biscuits or toast in support. Should not have a significant black malt character (acrid, burnt, or harsh roasted flavors), although small amounts may contribute a bitter chocolate complexity. English hop flavor moderate to none. Medium-low to medium hop bitterness will vary the balance from slightly malty to slightly bitter. Usually fairly well attenuated, although somewhat sweet versions exist. Diacetyl should be moderately low to none. Moderate to low fruity esters.

Mouthfeel: Medium-light to medium body. Moderately low to moderately high carbonation.

Overall Impression: A fairly substantial English dark ale with restrained roasty characteristics.

History: Originating in England, porter evolved from a blend of beers or gyles known as "Entire." A precursor to stout. Said to have been favored by porters and other physical laborers.

Comments: Differs from a robust porter in that it usually has softer, sweeter and more caramelly flavors, lower gravities, and usually less alcohol. More substance and roast than a brown ale. Higher in gravity than a dark mild. Some versions are fermented with lager yeast. Balance tends toward malt more than hops. Usually has an "English" character. Historical versions with Brettanomyces, sourness, or smokiness should be entered in the specialty category.

Ingredients: English ingredients are most common. May contain several malts, including chocolate and/or other dark roasted malts and caramel-type malts. Historical versions would use a significant amount of brown malt. Usually does not contain large amounts of black patent malt or roasted barley. English hops are most common, but are usually subdued. London or Dublin-type water (moderate carbonate hardness) is traditional. English or Irish ale yeast, or occasionally lager yeast, is used. May contain a moderate amount of adjuncts (sugars, maize, molasses, treacle, etc.).
Vital Statistics:
OG FG IBUs SRM ABV
1.040 - 1.052 1.008 - 1.014 18 - 35 20 - 30 4 - 5.4%

Commercial Examples: Samuel Smith Taddy Porter, Fuller's London Porter, Burton Bridge Burton Porter, Nethergate Old Growler Porter, Nick Stafford's Nightmare Yorkshire Porter, St. Peters Old-Style Porter, Bateman's Salem Porter, Shepherd Neame Original Porter, Flag Porter, Yuengling Porter, Geary's London Style Porter

Quote:

13A. Dry Stout

Aroma: Coffee-like roasted barley and roasted malt aromas are prominent; may have slight chocolate, cocoa and/or grainy secondary notes. Esters medium-low to none. No diacetyl. Hop aroma low to none.

Appearance: Jet black to deep brown with garnet highlights in color. Can be opaque (if not, it should be clear). A thick, creamy, long-lasting, tan- to brown-colored head is characteristic.

Flavor: Moderate roasted, grainy sharpness, optionally with light to moderate acidic/sourness, and medium to high hop bitterness. Dry, coffee-like finish from roasted grains. May have a bittersweet or unsweetened chocolate character in the palate, lasting into the finish. Balancing factors may include some creaminess, medium-low to no fruitiness, and medium to no hop flavor. No diacetyl.

Mouthfeel: Medium-light to medium-full body, with a creamy character. Low to moderate carbonation. For the high hop bitterness and significant proportion of dark grains present, this beer is remarkably smooth. The perception of body can be affected by the overall gravity with smaller beers being lighter in body. May have a light astringency from the roasted grains, although harshness is undesirable.

Overall Impression: A very dark, roasty, bitter, creamy ale.

History: The style evolved from attempts to capitalize on the success of London porters, but originally reflected a fuller, creamier, more "stout" body and strength. When a brewery offered a stout and a porter, the stout was always the stronger beer (it was originally called a "Stout Porter"). Modern versions are brewed from a lower OG and no longer reflect a higher strength than porters.

Comments: This is the draught version of what is otherwise known as Irish stout or Irish dry stout. Bottled versions are typically brewed from a significantly higher OG and may be designated as foreign extra stouts (if sufficiently strong). While most commercial versions rely primarily on roasted barley as the dark grain, others use chocolate malt, black malt or combinations of the three. The level of bitterness is somewhat variable, as is the roasted character and the dryness of the finish; allow for interpretation by brewers.

Ingredients: The dryness comes from the use of roasted unmalted barley in addition to pale malt, moderate to high hop bitterness, and good attenuation. Flaked unmalted barley may also be used to add creaminess. A small percentage (perhaps 3%) of soured beer is sometimes added for complexity (generally by Guinness only). Water typically has moderate carbonate hardness, although high levels will not give the classic dry finish.
Vital Statistics:
OG FG IBUs SRM ABV
1.036 - 1.050 1.007 - 1.011 30 - 45 25 - 40+ 4 - 5%

Commercial Examples: Guinness Draught Stout (also canned), Murphy's Stout, Beamish Stout, O'Hara's Celtic Stout, Dorothy Goodbody's Wholesome Stout, Orkney Dragonhead Stout, Brooklyn Dry Stout, Old Dominion Stout, Goose Island Dublin Stout, Arbor Brewing Faricy Fest Irish Stout

There are other style-varieties of each, but these are the ones that are most commonly associated with the terms Porter and Stout.

Jan 26, 2010 at 3:19 PM Post #671 of 2,001
Sounds like there are certainly some noteable differences. I googled the differences between porter and stout and many results had that there wasn't any difference. Thanks for posting.

Jan 26, 2010 at 3:25 PM Post #672 of 2,001
Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyingInABlueDream /img/forum/go_quote.gif
'

For 3 years I worked at a very high end beer bar in VA. I was a trainer there, taught hundreds of people about beer and its history, and still have a love from great beer.

Smokey beer is (for the most part) a 'Rauchbier'. The barley used is usually roasted on a fire, giving it a smokey flavor. The result is a beer that smells of wood chips/ bacon. The flavor is usually not smokey however, with the smell itself providing the taste profile. The best example of this beer currently in the US is German brewer Heller (find a good beer store). Left Hand Breweries made 'Smoke Jumper' years ago, as an experiment, but it is far too carbonated to be a smoke beer.

Thanks for explaining that!

Jan 28, 2010 at 7:26 AM Post #673 of 2,001
img8195michelobwintersb.jpg

Michelob Winter's Bourbon Cask Ale (6.0% ABV)
- Aged in Bourbon Oak Casks & Vanilla Beans
- Light Vanilla Bean aromatics, and hints of malts
- Hmmm .. vanillay, dark maltyness, medium body, light creamyness
- Different, odd for me..not my thing..kinda wishing I didn't buy a 6 pack
- 4/10, I would only recommend it if you really like Vanilla, would not buy it again

Jan 30, 2010 at 12:41 AM Post #675 of 2,001
Oh hello fellow alcoholics.

This just came in this afternoon. I swear it was better then christmas when I was 5!

20446_279516552465_502332465_3812389_7620607_n.jpg

Some other things I've had over the last couple weeks:

chocolate+indulgence.JPG

cnl1.JPG

gd-espresso-oa-yeti.jpg

nor-nogne-o-imperial-stout.jpg

3760588452_e635238170.jpg

stone-ruination.jpg

p_2048_1536_63F1C8CA-A0EB-4BA2-877E-A69D898E8DBA.jpeg

3336417050_2270839634.jpg

12845_202087482465_502332465_3488222_3213957_n.jpg

Moylans Hopsickle Imperial India Pale Ale
New Holland Dragon's Milk Oak Barrel Ale
Bear Republic Big Bear Black Stout
Founders Dirty person Scotch Ale
Oskar Blues Ten Fidy Imperial Stout
Founders Breakfast Stout
Harviestoun Old Engine Oil
Southern Tier Krampus
Terrapin Side Project 90 Shelling Scotch Ale

10836_181869137465_502332465_3346058_4662038_n.jpg

2008 Schlafly Reserve: Bourbon Barrel Aged Imperial Stout
Stone 09.09.09 Vertical Epic Ale
Harviestoun Ola Dubh Special 30 Year Reserve
Bells Special Double Cream Stout
Bells Kalamazoo Stout
Bells Expedition Stout
Dogfish Head 120 Minute IPA

12845_184217647465_502332465_3363010_5044248_n.jpg

Bruery Autumn Maple
Unibroue Terrible
Dogfish Head Black & Blue (trading jeremy this for a Delirium Noël since I can't get it on this side of the water)
Stone Imperial Stout
Stone Double person
Aventinus 2004
Stone Oaked Arrogant person
Bells Java Stout
J.W. Lee's Harvest Ale 2001

Yes, I like beer, a lot. There is a good portion of this sitting in a wine cellar just waiting for the right time to drink it. The TNP will be drank when I have a kid or get married, whichever comes first..just as long as it's before 2021 (the date they said it needs to be finished by)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back