Official Team BEER-FI (Beer Appreciation Thread!)
Jun 26, 2008 at 5:54 PM Post #451 of 2,001
Quote:

Originally Posted by ziplock /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wish my Wife had an interest in beer. All she likes are those fruity drinks and a few hard liquors. Maybe when shes older.

Anyway, I had the pleasure of enjoying a pint of St. Bernardus Abt 12 with my father last night. Absolutely fantastic Belgium ale! I definitely rank it in my top 5 favorites.

St. Bernardus Abt 12 - Brouwerij St. Bernardus NV - Beer Advocate

My wife hated beer until I turned her onto dark, malty beers. She loves those. Anything dark, heavy, and no more than a trace of hops. She hates anything bitter

Jun 26, 2008 at 9:35 PM Post #452 of 2,001
Ok, so I finally had a chance to try all 3 Chimay White, Red and Blue. The Blue is very nice, red isn't that good, While is pretty nice.

I've also recently tried Eightball Stout; not bad, but nothing spectacular.

Anchor Steam Summerfest is very easy drinking, can easily knock back a few bottles while working on an amp.

Jun 26, 2008 at 9:53 PM Post #453 of 2,001
Ahhh beer.

White : Hoegaarden
Stout : Guiness
Others: To be found

Going to Ireland, Scotland and Prague really soon (4 days) I can't wait to drink all those new beers.

Jun 26, 2008 at 10:05 PM Post #454 of 2,001
Quote:

Originally Posted by ziplock /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It seems quite a few of you are hop heads.

Lately I have been on a quest to drink the hoppiest beers in the world. The bigger the bite, the better! With that said, do any of you have some recommendations?

What is the most extreme hop beer you have tasted?

So far, Sierra Nevada's Big Foot is the winner in my book.

Other contenders are Hop Devil and Double Dog.

I have tried Dogfish Head 120M IPA, but it is too sweet. I am disappointed in what could have been a very good IPA. The hops flavor gets lost in the overbearing sweetness. Sickly sweet I might add.

~Z

I was at a Double IPA talk at a homebrewers conference a few years ago. The main speaker was the guy at Russian River that basically invented the style. His beer, Pliny the Elder, was one of the hoppiest beers I've ever had. There was another called Hop Juice that was pretty amazing as well. We sampled six different Double IPAs in the course of the session, all extremely hoppy, but all with a lot of malt to back it up. It all comes down to balance.

A few others:

Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale (A harvest ale, with different hopping every year) SN has also just released a Southern Hemisphere Harvest ale, made with New Zealand hops that were picked, dried, and shipped to CA in one week. If you see it, get it. It's a 24 oz. bottle, so fasten your safety belts.

Anderson Valley IPA - great malt character

Southern Tier Brewing has several very hoppy offerings, including Unearthly, and Hoppe, as well as a blend of the two (Imperial Gemini). Their standard IPA is also pretty good.

Avery Brewing Maharajah - very nice.

There are so many hoppy brews out there today - this is a great time to be a hophead
biggrin.gif
Hop Wallop and Hop Devil, (Victory) Arrogant person, Double person, and Ruination IPA from Stone Brewing, Hazed and Infused, Flower Power, etc.

One unusual beer I had on tap, and just recently found a bottle of, is Hopfen Weisse from Brooklyn Brewing. It's a collaboration between Peter Drexler of Schneider Brewing and Garrett Oliver of Brooklyn Brewing. It's a pale weissebock, 8.9% ABV, dry hopped. If you see it, grab a bottle. It's unlike anything you've had before.

Jun 26, 2008 at 10:16 PM Post #455 of 2,001
Sipping a Tucher Bajuvator Dopplebock right now. Big alcohol bite, not much else, but that's fine.

Other choices in the fridge include some Weyerbachers (double IPA, barleywine, and farmhouse ale), a Sprecher scotch ale, and a couple more strong German brews.

I've got a few DFH 120's and a couple Bell's Expedition Stouts stored up for an upcoming visit by a beer nut friend, who lives on the west coast. If only he could bring me some Pliny! Too bad he's in SoCal not NorCal.

Jul 16, 2008 at 5:49 AM Post #456 of 2,001
img2004of9.jpg

Jul 16, 2008 at 6:21 AM Post #457 of 2,001
img2005iu1.jpg

Aug 20, 2008 at 7:06 AM Post #458 of 2,001
picture017hj3.jpg

Mongoose IPA, Alaskan IPA, Long Hammer IPA, Stone IPA

Mongoose had more of a brown ale/porter type taste, not bitter-sweet IPA after taste, but a brown ale smooth after taste with hoppy overtones.

Alaskan had a very clean crisp IPA taste & slight bitter hoppy after taste.

Long Hammer's IPA is IMHO typical slight bitter taste & bitter-sweet IPA after taste.

Stone IPA bitter taste & after taste, has a fresh Hoppy aromatic smell and taste.

picture019bf3.jpg

Skuller's IPA, Ruination IPA, The Immortal IPA

The Immortal has a ESB/Porter type of hoppish taste, semi-bitter & smooth, with a smokey bitter after taste.

Out of one's Ive had so far..I am not likeing the Immortal that much. Lets hope the Skullers is better, I know the Ruination is ACE

The Sculler's IPA is very similar to Immortal IPA in taste...but more bitter & funky after taste. I would rate it just above Immortal's. Not very good IMHO.

verticalepic08fu7.jpg

sweet, flowery, aromatic smelling
hmmm
almost like a Belgian white ale
dang! 8.6%
has a really bubbly/soda like after taste with hints of the sweet white ale & hops
abit of a citrisy(sp) spicy flavor too

picture026yg5.jpg

ThunderHead IPA, ScuttleButt Gale Force IPA, Lagunitas IPA

ScuttleButt - Spicey Hoppy taste & smooth ESB-ish after taste.
Laguintas - Tastes almost like Long Hammer, but a tad more bitter/spicy hoppy taste, slight sweet flowery after taste.
TunderHead - Bubbly/Effervescent crisp IPA taste, and slight spice hoppy after taste.

Aug 20, 2008 at 11:13 AM Post #461 of 2,001
I love dopplebocks, and for an all around beer I like Samuel Smiths Oatmeal Stout. Its malty and hoppy and slightly sweet. It leaves a nice lacework on the glass.

Aug 20, 2008 at 4:49 PM Post #462 of 2,001
My wife and I worked a Belgian beer festival at Ommegang in Cooperstown, NY a couple weeks ago. The best part of volunteering is that for every four hour shift you work, you get a case of Ommegang beer! We did three shifts between the two of us, so I now have cases of Ommegang, Hennepin, and Rare Vos in my cellar, awaiting the proper time for enjoying. (The beers go for $65/case at the brewery, BTW. Not bad wages for a few hours work, I'd say.)
beerchug.gif

Aug 20, 2008 at 4:59 PM Post #463 of 2,001
Quote:

Originally Posted by beerguy0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My wife and I worked a Belgian beer festival at Ommegang in Cooperstown, NY a couple weeks ago. The best part of volunteering is that for every four hour shift you work, you get a case of Ommegang beer! We did three shifts between the two of us, so I now have cases of Ommegang, Hennepin, and Rare Vos in my cellar, awaiting the proper time for enjoying. (The beers go for $65/case at the brewery, BTW. Not bad wages for a few hours work, I'd say.)
beerchug.gif

Very nice score!!

I am officially joining this thread, and I'll start by saying, that if its made by a monk, its fantastic!! Meditate, Sing, Brew, thats got to be a great life!

Aug 20, 2008 at 8:56 PM Post #465 of 2,001
on my recent vacation, I was able to schedule 2 microbrew stops, first at Victory in downingtown, PA and second at Dogfish Head in Rehobeth, DE

my sampling list

Victory - Lager(draft), 10 year Alt(draft), Baltic Thunder(750ml bottle), V12 (750ml bottle)

The lager was pretty good, kind of like bud, only 20 times better tasting, but the 10 year alt was my favorite of the bunch, followed closely by the Baltic Thunder, this had a nice coffee/toffee hint to it, a very good porter. the V12 almost tasted like wine to me, very dry and fruity, think pear and apricot.

Dogfish Head - lawnmower(draft), 90 min(bottle), 120 min(draft), shelter pale ale(bottle)

again, the lawnmower was your basic bud type beer, only this one was even better then the Victory lager

the 90 min was as anyone would expect, fantastic, my favorite pale ale, and my favorite of all the beers I sampled between the 2 brewers, just a great hoppy flavor

the 120 minute, this was a beast of a beer, comparing this to the 60 or 90 minutes would be like comparing apple cider to apple juice. Very similiar taste to the 90 minute, but the flavors are just more intense, and perhaps tastes a bit drier then the 90 minute, you can tell this ones ~20% alcohol, not by taste, but by how you feel after downing one in 20 minutes. anyone who enjoys the 90 minute should at least try this one, I happen to prefer the 90 minute (and took 3 4 packs home with me from the brewery, they were out of the 120 min
frown.gif
) but I would always choose the 120 minute given the chance, given how hard it is to get, because its only slightly behind the 90 minute in my book

the shelter pale ale, ehh, it was ok, but far from my favorite.

overall winner from the trip, the 90 minute, though I've had it in the past, I really had the chance to enjoy a few over the trip, and I think its safe to say that its my new favorite beer

Users who are viewing this thread

Back