Official Team BEER-FI (Beer Appreciation Thread!)
Jul 24, 2007 at 8:01 PM Post #226 of 2,001
That's actually a good idea. A bit of history and throw in some good food. Can't go wrong there.

El Tesoro de Don Felipe is one of my current favorite tequileria's. Honestly, for the price, you can't do much better at the moment. Their quality and taste is much noticeably higher than some of the more generic premiums, like Patron, and usually cheaper also. Well at least down here close to the border it is. I can find Tesoro all day long for $28(Platinum), $33(Reposado), and $36(Anejo). I'm not the biggest fan of their Rep, aside from using to make superb margaritas, but their Anejo is absolutely fabulous and their Blanco/Platinum is one of the best on the market period.

I started off many years ago as stricly an Anejo guy. I would typically only drink Tequila late in the evening after a meal, and the aged Anejo was more pleasing in that regard. As my taste for Agave developed, I started drinking it a lot more and experimenting with more Blanco's and Reposado's. Now I drink all three varieties on a regular basis, but my heart has grown extremely fond of excellent Blanco's. I've just really grown to appreciate the attack Blanco's have on the tongue and how all the Agave is there to taste, savor, and appreciate. I still love Anejo's, but have found that I now gravitate towards the one's that still have a heavy presence of Agave in them. I don't like it when the oak puts too much of a woodsy influence on the Tequila.

Here's a link to a thread where I made some recommendations on Tequila. Hopefully you'll be able to get something out of them and perhaps get some ideas for future purchases.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=242565

Thanks for the invite. When I do eventually plan a trip out to the NE, I'll definitely hit you up.

Jul 24, 2007 at 11:19 PM Post #227 of 2,001
Quote:

Originally Posted by F1GTR /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's actually a good idea. A bit of history and throw in some good food. Can't go wrong there.

El Tesoro de Don Felipe is one of my current favorite tequileria's. Honestly, for the price, you can't do much better at the moment. Their quality and taste is much noticeably higher than some of the more generic premiums, like Patron, and usually cheaper also. Well at least down here close to the border it is. I can find Tesoro all day long for $28(Platinum), $33(Reposado), and $36(Anejo). I'm not the biggest fan of their Rep, aside from using to make superb margaritas, but their Anejo is absolutely fabulous and their Blanco/Platinum is one of the best on the market period.

I started off many years ago as stricly an Anejo guy. I would typically only drink Tequila late in the evening after a meal, and the aged Anejo was more pleasing in that regard. As my taste for Agave developed, I started drinking it a lot more and experimenting with more Blanco's and Reposado's. Now I drink all three varieties on a regular basis, but my heart has grown extremely fond of excellent Blanco's. I've just really grown to appreciate the attack Blanco's have on the tongue and how all the Agave is there to taste, savor, and appreciate. I still love Anejo's, but have found that I now gravitate towards the one's that still have a heavy presence of Agave in them. I don't like it when the oak puts too much of a woodsy influence on the Tequila.

Here's a link to a thread where I made some recommendations on Tequila. Hopefully you'll be able to get something out of them and perhaps get some ideas for future purchases.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=242565

Thanks for the invite. When I do eventually plan a trip out to the NE, I'll definitely hit you up.

I paid $29.99 for a bottle of El Tesoro Anejo which was a good deal. I just do not drink a lot of it.
Definitely look me up.

Jul 25, 2007 at 4:54 PM Post #228 of 2,001
First and foremost, a small apology to spacecoyote for my previous uneducated remark about preservatives in beer. I was mostly reading up that most (if not all) of the macro breweries (Budweiser, Coors, Blue, Canadian, Lakeport) used preservatives in their beers, I wasn't considering the thousands of other small microbreweries North American beers that had none.

Now back on topic. I was nicely bored yesterday and read through a big chunk of this thread and was searching for which beers I was able to get locally.

I got a bottle of each of these 7 and tasted 3 last night. Unfortunately, I don't have the "beer vocabulary" but a tasting impression I can offer.
wink.gif

EDIT #1: Tasted 2 more, found a wonderful beer.

Chimay White Cap : Very nice, thick tasting, almost syrupy with a nice head. Can barely tell it's 9% and a great beer, favourite of the night.

Pilsner Urquell : Refreshing clear beer, unfortunately it had an aftertaste that wasn't very pleasant, I didn't like it because of that fact alone.

Hacker Pschorr Weisse : An interesting taste, full of subtle flavours, overall very pleasant and easy to drink. This one I'm sure to enjoy again on the weekend with friends, a great drink.

Mort Subite Framboise Lambic : Wow, I can hardly believe it's beer! Definitely strong strawberry taste and smell, almost seems like a cooler, but one that doesn't taste nasty. An interesting blend of fruit and flower tastes and smells. Overall it just doesn't cut it for me as a beer, way too girly.
smily_headphones1.gif

Fuller's Honey Dew Organic : Now here is something I can really enjoy. The sweet taste of organic wild flower honey mixed in with a super smooth beer is great! The colour of this beer is so light, it looks like apple juice. Extremely pleasant to look at, smell and definitely drink. This has quickly moved up to one of my favourite beers. I'm definitely grabbing a few bottles of this for the weekend
biggrin.gif

Soon to try
smily_headphones1.gif

Fuller's London Pride
Fuller's London Porter

Aug 1, 2007 at 6:52 AM Post #229 of 2,001
Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
First and foremost, a small apology to spacecoyote for my previous uneducated remark about preservatives in beer. I was mostly reading up that most (if not all) of the macro breweries (Budweiser, Coors, Blue, Canadian, Lakeport) used preservatives in their beers, I wasn't considering the thousands of other small microbreweries North American beers that had none.

Now back on topic. I was nicely bored yesterday and read through a big chunk of this thread and was searching for which beers I was able to get locally.

I got a bottle of each of these 7 and tasted 3 last night. Unfortunately, I don't have the "beer vocabulary" but a tasting impression I can offer.
wink.gif

EDIT #1: Tasted 2 more, found a wonderful beer.

Chimay White Cap : Very nice, thick tasting, almost syrupy with a nice head. Can barely tell it's 9% and a great beer, favourite of the night.

Pilsner Urquell : Refreshing clear beer, unfortunately it had an aftertaste that wasn't very pleasant, I didn't like it because of that fact alone.

Hacker Pschorr Weisse : An interesting taste, full of subtle flavours, overall very pleasant and easy to drink. This one I'm sure to enjoy again on the weekend with friends, a great drink.

Mort Subite Framboise Lambic : Wow, I can hardly believe it's beer! Definitely strong strawberry taste and smell, almost seems like a cooler, but one that doesn't taste nasty. An interesting blend of fruit and flower tastes and smells. Overall it just doesn't cut it for me as a beer, way too girly.
smily_headphones1.gif

Fuller's Honey Dew Organic : Now here is something I can really enjoy. The sweet taste of organic wild flower honey mixed in with a super smooth beer is great! The colour of this beer is so light, it looks like apple juice. Extremely pleasant to look at, smell and definitely drink. This has quickly moved up to one of my favourite beers. I'm definitely grabbing a few bottles of this for the weekend
biggrin.gif

Soon to try
smily_headphones1.gif

Fuller's London Pride
Fuller's London Porter

Try the Pilsner Urquell out of a light shielded 12 pk.This beer comes in evil
green bottles that will ruin the beer and make it skunky if exposed to light
for any period of time.The aftertaste is probably saaz hops,the world's finest.

Aug 1, 2007 at 7:38 AM Post #230 of 2,001
I just had these: Samuel Smith Oatmeal Stout, Samuel Smith Nut Brown Ale

I liked the Stout abit better.

sam-smith-oatmeal.gif
samuel_smith_nutbrown_ale.jpg

Aug 1, 2007 at 11:40 PM Post #233 of 2,001
Quote:

Originally Posted by cleophus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Try the Pilsner Urquell out of a light shielded 12 pk.This beer comes in evil
green bottles that will ruin the beer and make it skunky if exposed to light
for any period of time.The aftertaste is probably saaz hops,the world's finest.

That only applies to sunslight and not the fluorecent lights in the coolers. The "skunky" flavors found in a lot of those beers is often a desired atribute from the the way the hops are used in pilsners. Good examples of the bitter pilsners are Jever from Northern Germany, Staropramen from Czech Republic, James Boags from New Zealand.
While it is true that green and to a greater degree clear bottles let more ultraviolet light through to the beer than brown bottles do it would take direct contact with sunlight for at least an hour to skunk a beer.
That being said, I too always try and buy green-bottle beer from closed twelve packs
tongue.gif

Aug 1, 2007 at 11:45 PM Post #234 of 2,001
Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
First and foremost, a small apology to spacecoyote for my previous uneducated remark about preservatives in beer. I was mostly reading up that most (if not all) of the macro breweries (Budweiser, Coors, Blue, Canadian, Lakeport) used preservatives in their beers, I wasn't considering the thousands of other small microbreweries North American beers that had none....

Don't sweat it, I can be a dick sometimes
wink.gif
without even trying to be.

I am glad to see you are enjoying the beers, try and hold on to that Fullers Porter, availability in New Jersey is null and I think it has something to do with Fullers being sucked up by a conglomerate.

Aug 5, 2007 at 6:12 PM Post #235 of 2,001
I had a few Smuttynose IPAs this weekend and it was a pretty good brew. Kind of trying something lighter than stouts for the warmer weather.

Aug 20, 2007 at 5:08 AM Post #236 of 2,001
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Only 51 days until Oktoberfest!!!

Bleh, too bad Oktoberfest sucks in LA.

-Ed

I'm going to Oktoberfest in Leavenworth, WA

Aug 20, 2007 at 8:37 AM Post #237 of 2,001
Quote:

Originally Posted by Agent Kang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Guiness FTW.

Oh Yes Guiness on tap. I like Murphy's Stout as well. Also, Mississippi Mud and Young's Double Chocolate Stout. I usually don't like Chocolate beer at all, but that one is yummy....
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 29, 2007 at 6:44 AM Post #240 of 2,001
I recently discovered Deschutes Black Butte Porter and am enjoying it quite alot. Had it a couple times at Old Chicago and brought home a 6-pack from the store tonight. Has a lot of flavour yet is very easy to drink.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back