Official Team BEER-FI (Beer Appreciation Thread!)
Jul 16, 2007 at 5:17 AM Post #196 of 2,001
Hi everybody!
smily_headphones1.gif

I just recently started drinking beer! Before I'd only liked herbal drinks like gin or absinthe, and thought all beers were just bitter piss-water. But then I drank some of the darker beers, and now I love them! The darker the better!
smily_headphones1.gif
So I'm always looking for a good new stout porter to try.
So far I've tried Guinness Extra Stout, Road Dog (from Flying Dog), and Anchor Porter, and Black Porter in a Sam Adams variety pack. All are quite good, but I'd rate the Guinness at the bottom out of the four (I guess that means that I don't like the "dry" kinds as much?)

I wish I could find something even more hardy and heavy - the more dense the beer, in terms of thickness, opacity and flavor, the more I'm certain to like it! I've been suggested to try a kind of beer called "Russian Imperial Stout." Does that sound like what I'd like? Can you recommend any others?

Thank you!!!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 16, 2007 at 5:39 PM Post #197 of 2,001
Quote:

Originally Posted by spacecoyote /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey Cleophus...where do you get your Ij? I am trying to locate it so I can carry it at the store I work in. We carry ~750 craft beers but at this moment we don't have Ij. I've seen it in Pennsylvania but not in New Jersey.

Hey, I see you are in NJ, so am I. What store do you work in? I'm always on the lookout for a good beer store.

Jul 16, 2007 at 5:47 PM Post #198 of 2,001
Quote:

Originally Posted by crazyface /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wish I could find something even more hardy and heavy - the more dense the beer, in terms of thickness, opacity and flavor, the more I'm certain to like it! I've been suggested to try a kind of beer called "Russian Imperial Stout." Does that sound like what I'd like? Can you recommend any others?

Thank you!!!
smily_headphones1.gif

You sound like my kind of beer drinker. If you like stouts try these: Victory Storm King, Stone Imperial Russian Stout, Northcoast Brewing Old Rasputin Imperial Russian Stout, Brooklyn Brewery Black Chocolate Stout. Those are probably some of my favorite beers.

Jul 16, 2007 at 5:52 PM Post #199 of 2,001
Quote:

Originally Posted by darkninja67 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You sound like my kind of beer drinker. If you like stouts try these: Victory Storm King, Stone Imperial Russian Stout, Northcoast Brewing Old Rasputin Imperial Russian Stout, Brooklyn Brewery Black Chocolate Stout. Those are probably some of my favorite beers.

I am going to have to seek out some of these. My favorite beer that I have tried so far is Guinness extra stout.

Jul 16, 2007 at 5:57 PM Post #200 of 2,001
Quote:

Originally Posted by no1likesme /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am going to have to seek out some of these. My favorite beer that I have tried so far is Guinness extra stout.

Yeah Guinness was one of my favorites before I found out about all the great micros out there. Too bad you are not in Boston.

Jul 16, 2007 at 6:01 PM Post #201 of 2,001
Quote:

Yeah Guinness was one of my favorites before I found out about all the great micros out there. Too bad you are not in Boston.

Yeah Boston would be good but I am only 19. At least I am on the Canadian border so I can go over and enjoy a beer legally.
icon10.gif

Jul 16, 2007 at 6:03 PM Post #202 of 2,001
Quote:

Yeah Boston would be good but I am only 19. At least I am on the Canadian border so I can go over and enjoy a beer legally.
icon10.gif

Well do not go nuts. Remember that some of these brews will put you on your ass.

Jul 16, 2007 at 6:27 PM Post #203 of 2,001
Quote:

Well do not go nuts. Remember that some of these brews will put you on your ass.

I actually really dislike being "drunk" I just like beer so I usually only drink a few bottles.

Jul 16, 2007 at 6:54 PM Post #204 of 2,001
Quote:

I actually really dislike being "drunk" I just like beer so I usually only drink a few bottles.

I drink for the taste mostly but the high ABV will sneak up on you sometimes.

Jul 16, 2007 at 7:57 PM Post #206 of 2,001
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey, I see you are in NJ, so am I. What store do you work in? I'm always on the lookout for a good beer store.

Circle, Rt 31 South, Pennington, Mercer County
We were independent for 38 years and just got bought by the folks that own the Super Saver on Rt 22 near Bridgewater
If you come to my store there are only two of us (I Dig A Pony) that really know the beers, Rick Allen, the Beer Manager, and myself.

Jul 17, 2007 at 3:31 AM Post #207 of 2,001
Quote:

Originally Posted by spacecoyote /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Circle, Rt 31 South, Pennington, Mercer County
We were independent for 38 years and just got bought by the folks that own the Super Saver on Rt 22 near Bridgewater
If you come to my store there are only two of us (I Dig A Pony) that really know the beers, Rick Allen, the Beer Manager, and myself.

I'll have to check it out one day. I've been to that Super Saver you mentioned a number of times. They have a pretty good selection, especially when it comes to Belgians. My all time favorite beer store is in South Plainfield. They have an excellent selection of both domestic and foreign craft beers. Despite their HUGE selection, they don't have everything, though. So it looks like I'll be taking down to Pennington one of these days.

Jul 17, 2007 at 3:15 PM Post #208 of 2,001
^We don't have everything but we do have between 700 and 750 craft beers at any given time. It helps to have 41 beer coolers, the most in New Jersey. And the selection is growing, in the next several months I hope to add another 50 to 200!

Jul 20, 2007 at 8:10 PM Post #209 of 2,001
I just got a 4 pk of Great Divide Brewing Yeti Imperial Stout. I will have one later on tonight but it is supposed to be pretty good.

Jul 20, 2007 at 9:05 PM Post #210 of 2,001
Quote:

I just got a 4 pk of Great Divide Brewing Yeti Imperial Stout. I will have one later on tonight but it is supposed to be pretty good.

I'm curious to hear your impressions on that beer. If it's the same beer I tried : "Great Divide Brewing Co. : Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout"... I wasn't that impressed, but maybe it was just over-hyped for me. Please post your thoughts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back