Official Team BEER-FI (Beer Appreciation Thread!)
Jul 1, 2007 at 1:01 AM Post #166 of 2,001
Anyone ever here of a Belgian brewery called Picobrouwerij Alvinne ? They have a website, http://www.alvinne.be/ but it is entirely in Flemish! I found three of their beers, two listed on the site, the Podge Belgian Imperial Stout and the Gaspar which all I can gather about it is it is hoppy ("one of the hoppiest beers in Belgium"), and a third not listed that is brewed with honey and raisins.....mmmmm, raisins. I refuse to open one untill I have three of each, one to taste and two to cellar.
Anyone read or speak Flemish?

Jul 1, 2007 at 6:13 AM Post #167 of 2,001
Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalmind /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm a great fan of German beers, though there's nothing wrong with a an english pub or belgium beer.

beer.jpg

Eichbaum Ureich,US Army,Mannheim,1981-1983
No sign of this one in the states,sadly missed.

Jul 2, 2007 at 8:39 PM Post #169 of 2,001
Quote:

Originally Posted by spacecoyote /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone ever here of a Belgian brewery called Picobrouwerij Alvinne ? They have a website, http://www.alvinne.be/ but it is entirely in Flemish! I found three of their beers, two listed on the site, the Podge Belgian Imperial Stout and the Gaspar which all I can gather about it is it is hoppy ("one of the hoppiest beers in Belgium"), and a third not listed that is brewed with honey and raisins.....mmmmm, raisins. I refuse to open one untill I have three of each, one to taste and two to cellar.
Anyone read or speak Flemish?

Why the labels are so different in size is beyond me...

gaspar.jpg

ePodg.jpg

Jul 2, 2007 at 8:55 PM Post #170 of 2,001
Beer is part of our culture...
biggrin.gif
I can recommend Pilsner Urquell and Budweiser Budvar

List of countries by beer consumption per capita
Rank Country Consumption (L/yr)
1 Flag of Czech Republic Czech Republic 156.9
2 Flag of Republic of Ireland Republic of Ireland 131.1
3 Flag of Germany Germany 115.8
4 Flag of Australia Australia 109.9
5 Flag of Austria Austria 108.3
6 Flag of United Kingdom United Kingdom 99.0
7 Flag of Belgium Belgium 93.0

Jul 2, 2007 at 9:02 PM Post #171 of 2,001
Quote:

Originally Posted by Omom /img/forum/go_quote.gif
List of countries by beer consumption per capita
Rank Country Consumption (L/yr)

5 Flag of Austria Austria 108.3

And the US is #13 at 81.6 L/yr....what gives!!!!
mad.gif
I know I drink a lot more then that in a year (I'm now homebrewing 5 gallon batches of beer)!

But I am surprised about Austria being #5....they're known as being wine drinkers (when I visit my relatives there, I've noticed they don't seem to have a diverse beer culture like they do their wine culture).

Jul 2, 2007 at 9:05 PM Post #172 of 2,001
^Budvar is absolutely one of my favorite pilsners, but here in the states it gets the re-label treatment as Czechvar, thank you very much A-B...

Here are a few Rare Beer Club selections on their way to me:
avant_LG.gif

Avant Garde Ale

celticangeletiket2.png

Irish-inspired Belgian amber ale

wrasslers_175.jpg

As Authentic as authentic gets,
an Irish Dry Stout

signatureAle275.jpg

A hybrid of gigantic proportions,
an Imperial IPA/Belgian Sour

Jul 3, 2007 at 6:52 PM Post #173 of 2,001

spacecoyote, what do you think of these two? The Abt 12 rates really high on BA and Ratebeer. I think I will drink the Local 1 for the 4th. Big fan of Brooklyn Brewery as well.

EDIT: This Abt 12 is really good. Strong aroma, very smooth going down, and a nice creamy head. I can see why it is top 30.

Jul 3, 2007 at 7:33 PM Post #174 of 2,001
^The Abt 12 is definitely a great beer, very complex ester profile, rich and malty with a decent shelf life. When the monks at Westvleteren contracted a secular brewery to make a commercial version of their beer it was the folks at St Bernardus who did the brewing. But that all ended in 2003. If you find a bottle of Westvleteren in this country with a paper label it was brewed by St Bernardus. The monks don't label their holy spirits, just the cap.
Now, the Brooklyn Local 1, I can't get it!!! For some reason the distributor for my area that handles Brooklyn didn't get it. That's what happens when someone who knows nothing about beer sells it for a living...they think to themselves, "Well, I carry eight beers from Brooklyn, that's enough I guess". What?! Cheeseballs in Cowtown... I have heard nothing but good things about it though, Garret Oliver does not disappoint.

I am awaiting a shipment from More Beer in CA containing ingredients to do a couple batches of homebrew. I think my first recipe is going to be either a Trappist Singel or a Antwerp-style Session Beer. I had been mulling over several aspects of my recipe for weeks now, but surfing the Brooklyn site just now clinched it.

Jul 3, 2007 at 7:38 PM Post #175 of 2,001
Quote:

^The Abt 12 is definitely a great beer, very complex ester profile, rich and malty with a decent shelf life. When the monks at Westvleteren contracted a secular brewery to make a commercial version of their beer it was the folks at St Bernardus who did the brewing. But that all ended in 2003. If you find a bottle of Westvleteren in this country with a paper label it was brewed by St Bernardus. The monks don't label their holy spirits, just the cap.
Now, the Brooklyn Local 1, I can't get it!!! For some reason the distributor for my area that handles Brooklyn didn't get it. That's what happens when someone who knows nothing about beer sells it for a living...they think to themselves, "Well, I carry eight beers from Brooklyn, that's enough I guess". What?! Cheeseballs in Cowtown... I have heard nothing but good things about it though, Garret Oliver does not disappoint.

I am awaiting a shipment from More Beer in CA containing ingredients to do a couple batches of homebrew. I think my first recipe is going to be either a Trappist Singel or a Antwerp-style Session Beer. I had been mulling over several aspects of my recipe for weeks now, but surfing the Brooklyn site just now clinched it.

When is your birthday?

Jul 3, 2007 at 9:30 PM Post #176 of 2,001
April 20th, same as Barney Gumble and A. Hitler.
Just kidding, it's March 14th, same as Albert Einstein.
When's yours?

BTW, I am tasting this big 'un...
ePodg.jpg

The first thing I smell is the yeast, which is "Iricsh" according to the label. I find that to be quite authentic that a Belgian brewery would use Irish yeast to brew a stout, hands down the best strain of choice for just about any and every porter and stout. The second thing I smell are the hops, I think I am getting quite good at identifying hops. They are using Golding, Saaz and something else.
The mouthfeel is big and burnt. The taste of bitter cacao and espresso dominate, as well as some butterscotch and molasses. A touch of cinnamon, start anise?
An absolutely excellent example of the style, which was originally brewed for Cathrine The Great, who was rumored to have made love to her horse after drinking Imperial Stout. Regardless of one's romantic entanglements, it is definately a love potion. The label says this particular stout could cellar for up to eight years, I believe it.

Jul 3, 2007 at 10:54 PM Post #177 of 2,001
Quote:

April 20th, same as Barney Gumble and A. Hitler.
Just kidding, it's March 14th, same as Albert Einstein.
When's yours?

BTW, I am tasting this big 'un...
ePodg.jpg

The first thing I smell is the yeast, which is "Iricsh" according to the label. I find that to be quite authentic that a Belgian brewery would use Irish yeast to brew a stout, hands down the best strain of choice for just about any and every porter and stout. The second thing I smell are the hops, I think I am getting quite good at identifying hops. They are using Golding, Saaz and something else.
The mouthfeel is big and burnt. The taste of bitter cacao and espresso dominate, as well as some butterscotch and molasses. A touch of cinnamon, start anise?
An absolutely excellent example of the style, which was originally brewed for Cathrine The Great, who was rumored to have made love to her horse after drinking Imperial Stout. Regardless of one's romantic entanglements, it is definately a love potion. The label says this particular stout could cellar for up to eight years, I believe it.

Mine is June 4th. I will try to get a bottle of Local 1 out to you. Anything else you cannot get?

What is your take on Alesmith brews? I wanted to grab the Gran Cru but did not have the cash. Thanks

Jul 3, 2007 at 11:53 PM Post #178 of 2,001
Quote:

Originally Posted by darkninja67 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mine is June 4th. I will try to get a bottle of Local 1 out to you. Anything else you cannot get?

Thanx but you don't have to do that. I just joined the Michael Jackson's Rare Beer Club, with my luck they'll probably have it as a monthly release. Actually I have my fingers crossed that they might bottle one of their Brewmasters Reserve beers that are draught only for the Club. The Abbey Singel or the Antwerpen Ale
wink.gif

Here are some hard-to-find beers for your search:
Bass No. 1 Barley Wine, Fullers Golden Pride Barleywine, Boon's Faro Pertetole Ale
Good luck though, I don't think any of them are in the US
blink.gif
wink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by darkninja67
What is your take on Alesmith brews? I wanted to grab the Gran Cru but did not have the cash. Thanks

I have never tried them and all the info on the internet is a couple of years old. Did they just come under new ownership or management?
A rule of thumb: If you couldn't afford it the first time it is always worth the trip back to get it.
very_evil_smiley.gif
wink.gif
rs1smile.gif
cool.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back