Official Team BEER-FI (Beer Appreciation Thread!)
Jun 26, 2007 at 1:24 AM Post #152 of 2,001
I just finished a bomber of Stone Imperial Russian Stout. Such a great beer.

Jun 26, 2007 at 3:40 AM Post #153 of 2,001
I recently took a tour of the Boulder Beer Company's microbrewery and it was a lot of fun. I had never done the brewery tour thing before, and I got to dry over a dozen different beers afterwards, some quite interesting. Their two dry-hopped ales, Hazed & Infused and Cold Hopped, as well as their IPA ended up being my favourites. For an everyday beer, both the dry-hopped ones are excellent. I'll admit that I didn't care much for Hazed & Infused at first but it quickly grew on me.

And on a different note, what are some good lagers to try? I've noticed that in general I don't like lagers much and I haven't tried any premium ones yet. Ales of various kinds have been dominating my beer tasting lately and I definitely want to branch out beyond just Samuel Adams for good lagers.

Jun 26, 2007 at 6:20 AM Post #154 of 2,001
Just got some of the new Stone Vertical Epic (070707) which for some reason came out early this year (at least at Whole Foods). It's very sweet with a lot of spice thrown in as well. Good Belgian-style ale, reminds me of Kwak kinda.

Can't wait for their 10th Anniversary IPA growler fill this weekend. I love that beer so much it's probably unhealthy.

Jun 27, 2007 at 3:36 PM Post #155 of 2,001
Quote:

Originally Posted by donovansmith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...And on a different note, what are some good lagers to try? I've noticed that in general I don't like lagers much and I haven't tried any premium ones yet. Ales of various kinds have been dominating my beer tasting lately and I definitely want to branch out beyond just Samuel Adams for good lagers.

Start with some of the Pilsners from the Czech Republic: Czechvar (known as Budvar in Europe) and Staropramen are my favorites. Also the Belgian pilsner Bavik is a distinct departure from the style and a welcome one at that.
Also just about any Bavarian lager, try a good Dunkel like Adventinus from Schneider.
Modelo Especial and Negro Modelo, Pacifico Clara to name a few.
As far as domestic, the seasonal lagers are the best, Brooklyn Octoberfest is tops.
And of course the ultimate be-all end-all of lagers, Sami Claus, once made in Switzerland now made in Austria at ~14% it is well worth the $18 a four pack
blink.gif
Buy four, try one, and lay the other three down drinking one every five years.

Jun 27, 2007 at 3:40 PM Post #156 of 2,001
Quote:

Originally Posted by Debaser86 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just got some of the new Stone Vertical Epic (070707) which for some reason came out early this year (at least at Whole Foods). It's very sweet with a lot of spice thrown in as well. Good Belgian-style ale, reminds me of Kwak kinda

That is strange. I was under the impression it wasn't to be released until the 7th. A Belgian Golden Ale huh?
cool.gif
Color me intrigued....

Jun 27, 2007 at 3:45 PM Post #157 of 2,001
I tried La Fin Du Monde recently. One of the top rated Canadian beers. It tasted pretty complex compared to my usual Keiths or Corona, so it was interesting indeed. 9% was a little strong for me though.

Jun 27, 2007 at 4:11 PM Post #158 of 2,001
Unibroue produces the best Canadian beer I have ever had for sure.
If The End Of The World was too strong for you try the Blanche De Chambly or Ephimere, they are lower in alcohol and just as tasty.

Jun 27, 2007 at 4:21 PM Post #159 of 2,001
Quote:

Originally Posted by spacecoyote /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Unibroue produces the best Canadian beer I have ever had for sure.
If The End Of The World was too strong for you try the Blanche De Chambly or Ephimere, they are lower in alcohol and just as tasty.

Sounds awesome
biggrin.gif
I'll go pick some up tonight.

Jun 27, 2007 at 4:33 PM Post #160 of 2,001
I am currently appreciating this beer:

Jun 27, 2007 at 5:36 PM Post #162 of 2,001
Quote:

^Black And Blue!
I have a bottle in the cellar, haven't tried it yet though.
I'd appreciate some tasting notes...

Well since I am kind of buzzed right now. It seemed very light to me ( used to Imperial Russian stouts). A little bit tart, not sweet at all like you would hope for. Very nice color to it. Pretty much like the picture. Very smooth to me, easy to drink. You do not taste the 10%. Kind of sneaks up on you.

i will buy it again, very good for $10 a bomber.

EDIT: spacecoyote, are you a DFH fan?? I freaking love this brewery myself. Along with others.

Jun 28, 2007 at 5:17 AM Post #163 of 2,001
I just had some Samuel Adams Scotch Ale...darn good beer.

Jun 28, 2007 at 5:16 PM Post #164 of 2,001
Quote:

Originally Posted by darkninja67 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well since I am kind of buzzed right now. It seemed very light to me ( used to Imperial Russian stouts). A little bit tart, not sweet at all like you would hope for. Very nice color to it. Pretty much like the picture. Very smooth to me, easy to drink. You do not taste the 10%. Kind of sneaks up on you.

i will buy it again, very good for $10 a bomber.

EDIT: spacecoyote, are you a DFH fan?? I freaking love this brewery myself. Along with others.

Sam Calagione is my hero! I once visited the pub in Rehoboth Beach, DE on my way to see Phish in Virginia Beach (the Terrapin Station show! RIP JJG) and had a draught Immort Ale. The Dogfish Head Pub has a strict policy about the bands that play there, absolutely no cover bands! If you want to try a DFH beer that will kick your junk in the dirt try the Raison D'Extra, it's a souped up version of the Raison D'Etra at ~19% and $8 for a 12oz bottle!
A few years ago I figured out the ratio of juniper that Sam uses in Immort Ale and I quadrupled it and added Hawthorne berries as well, and used a Swedish yeast (the one that is used to brew Stark Vintage Porter). The finished brew was 11.8% and if you drank two or more you would have mild hallucinations!
Proost!

Jun 28, 2007 at 5:58 PM Post #165 of 2,001
Quote:

Sam Calagione is my hero! I once visited the pub in Rehoboth Beach, DE on my way to see Phish in Virginia Beach (the Terrapin Station show! RIP JJG) and had a draught Immort Ale. The Dogfish Head Pub has a strict policy about the bands that play there, absolutely no cover bands! If you want to try a DFH beer that will kick your junk in the dirt try the Raison D'Extra, it's a souped up version of the Raison D'Etra at ~19% and $8 for a 12oz bottle!
A few years ago I figured out the ratio of juniper that Sam uses in Immort Ale and I quadrupled it and added Hawthorne berries as well, and used a Swedish yeast (the one that is used to brew Stark Vintage Porter). The finished brew was 11.8% and if you drank two or more you would have mild hallucinations!
Proost!

DFH is some good stuff. I had both Raisons as well as the 60,90, and 120 Minute IPAs. Also had the WWS, Indian Brown Ale and the Midas Touch. Big fan here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back