Official Sony WF-1000XM3 Thread - Noise Cancelling True Wireless Earphones
Apr 30, 2020 at 9:18 PM Post #1,096 of 1,494
Haha the EU has a law for everything
Except that it's not true. It's just something people repeat so much that they think it's true. The EU rules state only that users should be prompted when volume levels go above a certain level so that they are aware they risk hearing damage. Any actual volume limiting is the choice of the manufacturer.

Apr 30, 2020 at 9:24 PM Post #1,097 of 1,494
My WF1000XM3s were bought from Amazon Spain, which is in the EU, and go deafeningly loud.
If you're looking for better isolation, the Inairs Air1 fit perfectly and are small enough to go on the case. I was about to send them back because I was unhappy with the loose-feeling fit using the supplied tips. The Inairs solved this entirely and made noise cancelling much more effective.
And god, do these things sound good.

Apr 30, 2020 at 10:17 PM Post #1,098 of 1,494
1. Haven't tried. I do have lots of lag on youtube on Android 10.

2. Still testing on my recently acquired pair. At 20% XM3 volume, 100% phone to the 20% battery warning I get about:
3:40 on AAC or SBC with EQ and NC on (about 4:40 they turn themselves off).
4:30 AAC and EQ, no NC.
7:30 AAC only, no EQ or NC. (9:20 turns off).

Edit, update:
5:20 AAC & NC, no EQ (6:40 turns off).
5:15 SBC & NC, no EQ.

Still have to try AAC & NC only (and maybe the last few combinations). The EQ's digital processing appears to use the same amount of battery as the DSEE HX.

3. Never heard them and can't compare them.

4. Comfort for me is ok but they aren't super stable. I am able to wear them for that 9+ hours straight. The trick is getting comfortable tips that still seal and rotating so they also rest against the anti-tragus. This keeps the weight away from the ear canal.

5. Plenty loud unless your stuck with the EU version, which has a reduced output. I play volume at 20-40% and it's plenty. 50% and it's not something I'd want to listen to for extended periods.

5:20 AAC & NC, no EQ (6:40 turns off).
5:15 SBC & NC, no EQ.
Updated play times for AAC/NC & SBC/NC.

May 1, 2020 at 3:01 AM Post #1,100 of 1,494
Did you try walking away from the phone to make sure it is indeed picking it up from the earphone mic and not the phone itself?

It's just a regular Bluetooth implementation of HFP. As long as your phone supports HFP (i.e. literally every phone since the iPhone 4) it'll work. Majority of issues are to do with Windows where you need to actually manually switch over for it to work.

Last edited:
May 1, 2020 at 3:47 AM Post #1,101 of 1,494
Except that it's not true. It's just something people repeat so much that they think it's true. The EU rules state only that users should be prompted when volume levels go above a certain level so that they are aware they risk hearing damage. Any actual volume limiting is the choice of the manufacturer.

No there are specific dB limits that manufacturers must respect On top of the warning prompts but not all manufacturers do that. Sony being as big as they are can't be seen to flout these rules so are very strictly compliant. I just don't know if these limits applies to BT ear/headphones or just source devices, mine certainly can go a lot louder with my iPhone8 than I would ever care to use, I rarely go over 50% even on planes

Last edited:
May 1, 2020 at 3:49 AM Post #1,102 of 1,494
No there are specific dB limits that manufacturers must respect On top of the warning prompts but not all manufacturers do that. Sony being as big as they are can't be seen to flout these rules so are very strictly compliant

The 'warning' is at 80 dB, and the limit is 100 dB.

I dunno about you, but 100 dB is deafening. The only concern is for phones where the measurement takes place with the bundled earphones: if the bundle earphones are efficient, the EU versions will be voltage-limited.

May 1, 2020 at 3:51 AM Post #1,103 of 1,494
The 'warning' is at 80 dB, and the limit is 100 dB.

I dunno about you, but 100 dB is deafening. The only concern is for phones where the measurement takes place with the bundled earphones: if the bundle earphones are efficient, the EU versions will be voltage-limited.

Yes I never go over about 50% on my iPhone8 even on planes

May 1, 2020 at 9:41 AM Post #1,104 of 1,494
It's just a regular Bluetooth implementation of HFP. As long as your phone supports HFP (i.e. literally every phone since the iPhone 4) it'll work. Majority of issues are to do with Windows where you need to actually manually switch over for it to work.
Sony forum had official responses from sony saying that the mic is only supported for phons calls and not third party apps like whatsapp where people noted it would use tbe phone mic instead. Which is why I am asking.

May 1, 2020 at 9:55 AM Post #1,105 of 1,494
Sony forum had official responses from sony saying that the mic is only supported for phons calls and not third party apps like whatsapp where people noted it would use tbe phone mic instead. Which is why I am asking.

It doesn't seem to work with voice recorder on Android. I just recorded myself going downstairs.

On Windows it works when I change it in the settings for the microphone manually.

Edit: I performed the same test with the Nuarl NT01AX and the Radsone Earstudio es100 on Android. All of them defaulted to the phone microphone and there is no option in the app to change input source... It looks like it might be an issue with Android and the apps more than with the xm3.

Last edited:
May 1, 2020 at 11:44 AM Post #1,106 of 1,494
It doesn't seem to work with voice recorder on Android. I just recorded myself going downstairs.

On Windows it works when I change it in the settings for the microphone manually.

Edit: I performed the same test with the Nuarl NT01AX and the Radsone Earstudio es100 on Android. All of them defaulted to the phone microphone and there is no option in the app to change input source... It looks like it might be an issue with Android and the apps more than with the xm3.
Strange, the TWS I had defaulted to the earbud mics on this app https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.github.axet.audiorecorder&hl=en_US

May 1, 2020 at 12:34 PM Post #1,107 of 1,494
Should I rather pick up these or the sennheiser momentum 2 if audio quality is most important.

I would like to listen with only one of them in my ears and not have the blue light blink. Is that possible? (Sleeping on my side, headphone in upper ear, light must not disturb wife).

Thank you!

May 1, 2020 at 12:48 PM Post #1,108 of 1,494
Should I rather pick up these or the sennheiser momentum 2 if audio quality is most important.

I would like to listen with only one of them in my ears and not have the blue light blink. Is that possible? (Sleeping on my side, headphone in upper ear, light must not disturb wife).

Thank you!

yes you can use just one and yes you can disable the blue light

Users who are viewing this thread

Back