Official Sony WF-1000XM3 Thread - Noise Cancelling True Wireless Earphones
Dec 24, 2019 at 2:01 PM Post #796 of 1,494
Dec 26, 2019 at 4:59 AM Post #797 of 1,494
I've decided to return my WF-1000XM3. To this day i just can't find any solution to make them steady at my ears, i felt them always loose. Even the passive isolation is worse than my old WF-1000X. Got the Sennheiser TWM instead, i already love them.

Passive isolation, confort perfect wear and rock solid at my ears, rock solid blueototh connection ( not even a brief drop in a week and) AMAZING audio quality. Battery is weak compared to the XM3 but i can live with this.

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2019 at 5:59 AM Post #798 of 1,494
I've decided to return my WF-1000XM3. To this day i just can't find any solution to make them steady at my ears, i felt them always loose. Even the passive isolation is worse than my old WF-1000X. Got the Sennheiser TWM instead, i already love them.

Passive isolation, confort perfect wear and rock solid at my ears, rock solid blueototh connection ( not even a brief drop in a week and) AMAZING audio quality. Battery is weak compared to the XM3 but i can live with this.

Yes fit is crucial and critical

Dec 28, 2019 at 9:28 AM Post #799 of 1,494
Yesterday I received Spinfits CP360, for me these are THE TIPS, perfect fit with large ones and sound a bit better then with original tips.

Purchased some CP360 based on your post and unfortunately they don't work for me. Even with the large, they fit too small and lets in too much passive noise. They actually stay in place quite well, better than the standard tips due to the stickiness of the rubber. If have smaller ears, wearing the small or medium tips these might work for you.

Dec 28, 2019 at 9:32 AM Post #800 of 1,494
Purchased some CP360 based on your post and unfortunately they don't work for me. Even with the large, they fit too small and lets in too much passive noise. They actually stay in place quite well, better than the standard tips due to the stickiness of the rubber. If have smaller ears, wearing the small or medium tips these might work for you.

Have you tried Final E tips ?
I have big ears and the Final E LL is by far the best tip for me both for these and for the IER-Z1R

Dec 28, 2019 at 10:40 AM Post #801 of 1,494
Have you tried Final E tips ?
I have big ears and the Final E LL is by far the best tip for me both for these and for the IER-Z1R
Thanks for the recommendation, I haven't tried them. I'm quite reluctant to buy tips in general, as they very expensive for what they are. I'm currently making do with my customised form tips from my old Shure headphones which is working quite well.

Dec 28, 2019 at 3:19 PM Post #802 of 1,494
I didn't realize there's also WI-1000XM2, another neckband style ANC earphone.
https://thewalkmanblog.blogspot.com/2019/09/sonys-new-wi-1000xm2.html
https://www.sony.com.sg/electronics/in-ear-headphones/wi-1000xm2
It still has the hybrid (dynamic+BA) driver from previous WI-1000X, plus QN1 chip from WH-1000XM3 (not QN1e from WF-1000XM3).
I wonder if it sounds better than WF-1000XM3.
I am actually really looking forward WI-1000XM2. I really like WF-1000XM3 but I already had multiple occasions when they just fell out. I hope that with neckband I can only improve over WF model - battery life, hopefully sound quality and secure fit through lower weight and additional security in case they fall out.

Jan 1, 2020 at 10:33 PM Post #803 of 1,494
Thanks for replying.

I do get a great seal with inairs tips I got from amazon a few years ago. So noise canceling is working. I guess I expected a bit more from it after reading all sorts of impressions here and on other forums.

To be honest, I don’t see how it’s any useful at all. At least in my use case. I listen to punk most of the time and without ANC once guitars kick in, I don’t hear any outside noise. Whether it’s highway noise or a fan spinning. Even something like Ska with a lot more silent “gaps” in a song, I just don’t hear any outside noise interfering with my listening experience at all.

I’ll be curious to learn someone else’s take on that.​

ANC works by listening to current sounds in your environment and then creating a "counter" wave that negates that sound. Since this process takes time it will always be slightly behind the original noise. For consistent sounds like those from jet engines this time delay isn't an issue since the sound it heard 4ms ago is the same as the sound now so the "counter" wave still works. However, random inconsistent sounds such as those from speech or items dropping onto a floor will not be effected by a "counter" wave since it that wave is attempting to negate prior sounds and not current ones.

Jan 5, 2020 at 4:31 PM Post #804 of 1,494
Thanks for replying.

I do get a great seal with inairs tips I got from amazon a few years ago. So noise canceling is working. I guess I expected a bit more from it after reading all sorts of impressions here and on other forums.

To be honest, I don’t see how it’s any useful at all. At least in my use case. I listen to punk most of the time and without ANC once guitars kick in, I don’t hear any outside noise. Whether it’s highway noise or a fan spinning. Even something like Ska with a lot more silent “gaps” in a song, I just don’t hear any outside noise interfering with my listening experience at all.

I’ll be curious to learn someone else’s take on that.​

To be honest, I view ANC as more of a feature enhancement that allows me to listen to my music more carefully in loud environments without turning up the volume. I don't necessarily see ANC's core function for audiophiles as creating a bubble of silence.

Jan 6, 2020 at 9:02 AM Post #805 of 1,494
Hi so i just purchased my xm3's a few days ago and i noticed that it has a noticable wobbly hinge when closed. Theres a really concerning left-right wobble even when the in ears are inside. Also the usb port also has quite a bit of wobble (even more so than my 2 year old galaxy note 8 and even my 4 year old sony nw wm1a!) considering how new this is (3 day old to be exact) i was wondering if this was normal. I have yet to ask sony about this though. Any input would really do help. Thanks in advance guys!

Jan 6, 2020 at 9:30 AM Post #806 of 1,494
Hi so i just purchased my xm3's a few days ago and i noticed that it has a noticable wobbly hinge when closed. Theres a really concerning left-right wobble even when the in ears are inside. Also the usb port also has quite a bit of wobble (even more so than my 2 year old galaxy note 8 and even my 4 year old sony nw wm1a!) considering how new this is (3 day old to be exact) i was wondering if this was normal. I have yet to ask sony about this though. Any input would really do help. Thanks in advance guys!

I can move the lid a fraction of a milimeter between left and right when it is open, just enough to actually allow the lid to open and close without resistance. There is absolutely no wobble or movement of the usb plug when the cable is inserted

Jan 6, 2020 at 8:23 PM Post #807 of 1,494
I can move the lid a fraction of a milimeter between left and right when it is open, just enough to actually allow the lid to open and close without resistance. There is absolutely no wobble or movement of the usb plug when the cable is inserted
Thanks man! I'll probably trt to get my unit checked by sony.

Jan 7, 2020 at 5:50 AM Post #808 of 1,494
To be honest, I view ANC as more of a feature enhancement that allows me to listen to my music more carefully in loud environments without turning up the volume. I don't necessarily see ANC's core function for audiophiles as creating a bubble of silence.
Maybe I need help, maybe I'm just unlucky. I bought a set of these WF-1000XM3 off Rakuten, "Refurbished." I could detect ZERO ANC. Background sounds sound exactly the same to me if ANC is engaged or off or Ambient Sound is in effect, makes no difference. I returned them and got another set over a week ago. I was busy and actually dreading even trying the replacement set until about 3 days ago. My experience with the replacement set is exactly the same. ANC seems to be AWOL. Could it be that Sony had a problem with some of these and I happen to have had a couple of those supplied to me as refurbs?

Now, I am using the tips that were on them by default. But they seem to fit OK. I also have NOT taken pictures of my ears like suggested in their headphones app on my Android phones. I suppose doing those things might help. But I'm skeptical because my Bose Quietcomfort 20's don't even insert in my ear canals, they just kind of rest on the ear opening and their noise cancellation (you flip a switch on the unit to turn it on) is pretty darn stunning! I have to think the Sony's are bad batch. I mean I hear "noise cancelling" (when I tap the appropriate unit) from one of the Sony's but there's NO DIFFERENCE!

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2020 at 9:01 AM Post #809 of 1,494
Maybe I need help, maybe I'm just unlucky. I bought a set of these WF-1000XM3 off Rakuten, "Refurbished." I could detect ZERO ANC. Background sounds sound exactly the same to me if ANC is engaged or off or Ambient Sound is in effect, makes no difference. I returned them and got another set over a week ago. I was busy and actually dreading even trying the replacement set until about 3 days ago. My experience with the replacement set is exactly the same. ANC seems to be AWOL. Could it be that Sony had a problem with some of these and I happen to have had a couple of those supplied to me as refurbs?

Now, I am using the tips that were on them by default. But they seem to fit OK. I also have NOT taken pictures of my ears like suggested in their headphones app on my Android phones. I suppose doing those things might help. But I'm skeptical because my Bose Quietcomfort 20's don't even insert in my ear canals, they just kind of rest on the ear opening and their noise cancellation (you flip a switch on the unit to turn it on) is pretty darn stunning! I have to think the Sony's are bad batch. I mean I hear "noise cancelling" (when I tap the appropriate unit) from one of the Sony's but there's NO DIFFERENCE!

I don’t know what is wrong. To me there is a very clear difference between the 3 modes

Jan 7, 2020 at 9:42 AM Post #810 of 1,494

Sometimes things are not ment to be, this is one of those times.

Have you tried the Apple Airpod Pros?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back