Official Sony WF-1000XM3 Thread - Noise Cancelling True Wireless Earphones
Dec 15, 2019 at 2:31 AM Post #751 of 1,494
I've had my Sony WF-1000XM3's about 2 weeks and am getting into them. Have paired to 3 devices so far, an Android phone, a Windows phone and a Windows 10 computer (the last being today and the toughest one to get accomplished, the others being easy). They sound good to me. There's a learning curve and I've got a long way to go. There's supplied documentation but it's not much, it's almost entirely graphic. I don't much care for graphic-only instructions, I'm quite good with quality English! Fortunately, there's a downloadable, printable PDF manual... a whopping 106 pages! I duplex printed 2 copies today and have yet to get into it. I did post a question at Amazon and a Sony representative linked me to a key answer to my problem of insufficient volume with my cell phones. They have an online resource for these. And there's an app you can install and I was able to boost the volume way up to where it's OK. I was also able to set up EQ (my hearing above 3 kilo-hertz is attenuated about 50%, so this is super great for me).

Wandering around I've had a few momentary dropouts due to, I suppose, bluetooth interference, but only a few. None would be better, but at this frequency I can probably live with it. I've used expensive Etymotic Research wired earbuds for 2 decades. They're good but the wires rub and make noise, are a hassle compared to wireless and I have discontinuity issues occasionally, which are difficult to fix by myself and expensive to have serviced by Etymotic Research. I brought these Sonys into the gym yesterday but didn't know how to turn on the NC, so went back to the isolating Etymotics for my workout. Of course, I'm hoping I'll be content with the Sony's in the gym. I don't sweat enough to worry about the lack of waterproofing, and I won't be running in them!

I'm finding them quite comfortable... to the point where if I turn off music/sound for a while, I forget I have them on! This is using the buds that were in them off the bat, they seem to fit me just fine and there seems to be no problem of them falling out.

I need to climb that learning curve. You can adjust the volume by tapping the left bud. A long tap reduces the volume. Of course, a to-me major issue is that turning off the sound (i.e. by removing from the ear) necessitates turning sound on again with the device. I suppose I'll get used to that, I believe there are workarounds (i.e. cupping hand over earbud instead of removing). Much to learn.

NFC is on by default when you turn them on and you cycle between nfc, ambient and passive by tapping the left bud

Dec 15, 2019 at 2:33 AM Post #752 of 1,494
I've got mine paired to two Android phones, a Windows Phone and this Windows 10 laptop. Don't have anything Apple.

I later found out the the nfc point is the case and not the buds and have paired fine with my Sony players but almost exclusively use them with my iPhone8

Dec 16, 2019 at 5:27 AM Post #754 of 1,494
Maybe I'm not using them right but in the gym today I couldn't detect any difference between the different states. I was using the Android app for these.
There is voice guidance when you tap on the left bud, so you know when it's on.

But I think its a case of your expectations not meeting reality. ANC doesn't give you total noise isolation, you still hear sounds in the distance and certain frequencies it doesn't block. To me it feels like wearing a helmet and there is wall blocking sound coming in.

Dec 16, 2019 at 5:30 AM Post #755 of 1,494
Maybe I'm not using them right but in the gym today I couldn't detect any difference between the different states. I was using the Android app for these.

I find that there is a very noticable difference between the 3 modes depending on the environment you are in

Dec 16, 2019 at 9:21 AM Post #756 of 1,494
I find that there is a very noticable difference between the 3 modes depending on the environment you are in
I must be doing something wrong. I can't detect any difference... yet.

... last night couldn't bluetooth from this Win10 laptop, after having successfully done so a day or so earlier. Gave up, went to sleep, in the AM (i.e. now) was paired on awakening the PC again. Now, I'm wondering if I can run Sony | Headphones Connect from the PC. A search was frustrating. I get the impression Sony hasn't released the app for Windows but I have to run an Android emulation utility to run it. Anyone know about this? I downloaded Bluestacks to do that, but haven't installed it. I don't like installing unknown utilities.

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2019 at 9:26 AM Post #757 of 1,494
There is voice guidance when you tap on the left bud, so you know when it's on.

But I think its a case of your expectations not meeting reality. ANC doesn't give you total noise isolation, you still hear sounds in the distance and certain frequencies it doesn't block. To me it feels like wearing a helmet and there is wall blocking sound coming in.
I'm not sensing any difference at all between the different states. Hope I don't have to go back to my Etymotic Research ER4P's (corded, but isolating via the silicone tips).

Dec 16, 2019 at 9:31 AM Post #759 of 1,494
I'm not sensing any difference at all between the different states. Hope I don't have to go back to my Etymotic Research ER4P's (corded, but isolating via the silicone tips).
Could be a faulty pair, get some else test them if you can. But there is a noticeable difference between the 3 states. Sitting is a quiet room with the TV on is a good way to test.

Dec 16, 2019 at 9:44 AM Post #760 of 1,494
When I tried these in a hifi shop I didn't notice any noise cancelling with the stock medium rubbery buds. Having got a much more effective pair of buds for my WF1000X, I went back and tried again and I couldn't believe how well the noise got reduced (while not playing any music), and also the pass through mode. This was against air con and road traffic.

Dec 16, 2019 at 10:37 AM Post #761 of 1,494

That would normally either indicate a faulty pair or that you are not getting a good seal or that you are testing in a dead quiet room

Dec 16, 2019 at 8:51 PM Post #762 of 1,494
20191216_190330.jpg
20191216_190631.jpg
20191216_192258.jpg
Hey guys,

wanted to share a few pictures and initial impressions of the Newly released 'TrueGrip Pro for Sony True Wireless' by Comply. I've been Mainly using the provided foam tips 'triple comfort' by sony. The Triple comfort are great and provide excellent low end but are hard to set in place without fiddling around too much, the TrueGrip are the polar opposite, usually set in place the minute you put them on and feel very snug, they almost melt in your ears and the seal is perfect to my ears, I own the Large size.

They Pair perfectly with my wf1000xm3 and the sound reproduction is impressive to say the least, so much so that I've already sold the BIG bros the WH-1000xm3 on ebay, the wf certainly require a near perfect seal to sound the best, and with the Comply TrueGrip I believe that this little package is as good as the bigger wh, The convenience alone is worth the switch! A++ Sony & Comply; this is my main hearphone/earbuds for music listening when I commute to work due to the Noice Cancelling and smaller footprint. I Love it!

My complaints? None.....

P.S: In the bottom picture, the Top earbud on the WF is the Triple comfort, the Bottom earbud has the TrueGrip Pro 2.0 for Sony Wireless

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2019 at 9:53 PM Post #763 of 1,494
I'm finding ZERO difference. I've seen people online asking if there is maybe a QC issue here with regard to the NC. Mine was sold as refurbished through Rakuten. I think I should pursue warranty relief here. I keep playing with the settings. Using the Sony | Headphones app I can't affect the background sounds in the slightest, no matter what settings I have in the Ambient Sound Control. No effect when tapping the right earbud (the one designated on mine to change the Ambient Sound Control settings. Absolutely no difference in what I'm hearing from sound from my environment whatsoever. This IS the Sony WF-1000XM3. Maybe it was a refurb because an earlier buyer had the same probem.

I'm absolutely going to pursue warranty relief on this. NC was a MAJOR reason I bought this. This has none.

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2019 at 10:03 PM Post #764 of 1,494
I'm finding ZERO difference. I've seen people online asking if there is maybe a QC issue here with regard to the NC. Mine was sold as refurbished through Rakuten. I think I should pursue warranty relief here. I keep playing with the settings. Using the Sony | Headphones app I can't affect the background sounds in the slightest, no matter what settings I have in the Ambient Sound Control. No effect when tapping the right earbud (the one designated on mine to change the Ambient Sound Control settings. Absolutely no difference in what I'm hearing from sound from my environment whatsoever. This IS the Sony WF-1000XM3. Maybe it was a refurb because an earlier buyer had the same probem.

When you toggle between the modes, does does the voice prompt confirms the mode switch? If yes and you don't hear a difference, I'd suggest you bring the matter to the seller. If it's working properly, people will hear the difference, expectancies on how effective it is would differ from person to person, but there should be an audible difference.

Dec 16, 2019 at 10:07 PM Post #765 of 1,494
Just turn on a radio or tv and switch on the ANC. If working properly the sound will fade into the background considerably.
Yup, I'm trying that right now. Have my TV on, am connected by bluetooth to my android phone. Playing music or not, the sound from the TV is COMPLETELY unaffected by changing the Ambient Sound Control settings, i.e. Noise Canceling on or off, makes ZERO difference. I'll try one more thing before pursuing warranty relief - Resetting to factory settings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back