Official Sony WF-1000XM3 Thread - Noise Cancelling True Wireless Earphones
Aug 14, 2019 at 8:12 AM Post #196 of 1,494
Help! I've had the WF-1000XM3 for about 2 weeks and am having some issues. Can anyone please confirm if this is expected (e.g. with bluetooth), if others are having the issues, and any potential fixes? Using an iPhone 7.
  • Both earbuds in, ANC on, incoming call. I double-tap the right earphone to answer. Call is answered on my phone, not earbuds.
  • ANC on, listening to Spotify, audio (esp. highs) go flat for 15-20 seconds, then return (have seen suggestions to switch off wifi on phone?)
  • Sometimes when tapping left earbud to cycle through ANC, I just hear the chime/bing, but the mode doesn't change
  • Earbuds in case. Phone rings, I take out earbuds and put in (hear "connected, battery 100%"), see earbud battery levels on iPhone screen (indicating Bluetooth connected), press to answer, but call is answered on phone, not earbuds
  • Repeated issues with earbuds not connecting when taken out of the case
Have emailed Sony and they've given me instructions to factory reset. Tried that, no change...issues above still happen.
As annoying as these issues are, I still love the earbuds. Beats my QC20s in audio quality and ANC, especially with Comply SmartCore tips.
I can only answer the chime when tapping for cycling through ANC, I had this issue too. It's because you're pressing the touchpad for too long, and it's starting to register it as a touch and hold. Just tap it a little quicker and you should be fine. Took me a little while to figure that one out.

Aug 14, 2019 at 9:29 AM Post #197 of 1,494
069C5298-2981-42C9-928E-5E7EA3274F79.png I had mine for 2 weeks now. Has anyone noticed that the left side discharges faster than the right?

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2019 at 9:36 AM Post #198 of 1,494
I had mine for 2 weeks now. Has anyone noticed that the left side discharges faster than the right?
I was a bit alarmed by this at first, but then I realised that the indicator in the app is quite crude. it seems to jump down in large chunks. So while the left might discharge slightly faster, it will be at 69% which gets reported as 70%, while the right which is on 71% gets reported as 100%. There don't seem to be any finer integers. I saw the same discrepancy the other evening, and when I looked again a few moments later both L and R were showing as 70%.

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2019 at 10:14 AM Post #199 of 1,494
I had mine for 2 weeks now. Has anyone noticed that the left side discharges faster than the right?

Yes I noticed that as well the day I used them for 6 1/2 hours straight with ANC active all the time but by then both sides showed 20% so I think it’s just the in app indicators that are off

Aug 14, 2019 at 11:28 AM Post #200 of 1,494
Welp thx to the folks in this thread that tried fitting the SpinFit CP360 tips - struggled to keep these in for more than an hour before they became uncomfortable. Either the SS silicon or S foam/hybrid thing.

Got the CP360 tips this morning, put them on and have had these in for 5 hours straight without needing to take them out or any discomfort - fantastic isolation as well. Only downside seems to be if I'm walking down a grade I get a footstep thump, seems non existent on a level surface and I forget they are in when I'm sitting down. It seems due to the mechanic of how the SpinFits work they might.. wobble? a bit more than normal, the fit is secure, but it makes sense with the advertised design I guess.

Thanks SO MUCH for testing/ensuring/etc these things work, game changer for me for sure.

Aug 14, 2019 at 3:54 PM Post #202 of 1,494
So these fell out of my ear today during sports.

I knew it was a bad idea to do that. Luckly it still works.

Thanks for testing that out. It’ll never happen to me as I view engaging in this forum a sport.

Aug 14, 2019 at 5:01 PM Post #203 of 1,494
Having a major problem with these - has anyone noticed audio bitrate suddenly dropping for a few seconds? It’s more apparent on tracks with lots of snare or treble. Essentially the sound sounds slightly muffled for a few seconds randomly before going back to crystal clear. This is happening with both iPhone X and iPad Pro (latest), using Spotify with max settings. Haven’t had this happen with airpods or my Sony over-ears. Emailed Sony already and they gave me the usual reset runaround. Please chime in if anyone has any suggestions! Hoping this can be solved with a firmware fix - unless of course I have a defective pair.

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2019 at 7:39 PM Post #204 of 1,494
I have the exact same thing and it is indeed much more notable with songs that have a lot of high frequency/treble. The in-ears are even set to “sound quality priority”. There are a variety of bugs which I hope Sony will fix soon...

Aug 14, 2019 at 11:14 PM Post #205 of 1,494
The WFs were never advertised for active use and looking at how much of the earpiece hangs outside the ear, I'd definitely wouldn't take these for a jog. TWs for active use are generally a bad idea, unless they've got built-in earhooks, like the Powerbeats Pro or the TRN BT adaptors. Just too much risk of an unit falling out of your ear. The older type of BT earphones with the wire running between the earpieces work perfectly for active use.

Aug 14, 2019 at 11:21 PM Post #206 of 1,494
Just got my WF-1000xm3, I was skeptical because it does not have aptx. After first listen, I am shocked, it sounds so good, 10x better than those cheap Aptx TW earbuds. Unbelievable! After tuning sound to treble and bass+1, it sounds like my IER-Z1R! That is crazy. Why did I spend $2,000 for a wired earbud when I can have it for $230 and wireless?

You got to try it to believe it!

Aug 14, 2019 at 11:29 PM Post #208 of 1,494
Last edited:
Aug 14, 2019 at 11:39 PM Post #210 of 1,494
Thanks..
Are you getting some annoying sibilance with that setting?
Not at all..very similar to IEr-Z1R sound signature. Of course, it is not exactly the same thing but very close. WF-1000XM3 is a bit grainy, rough, and less smooth but very close to IER-Z1R after EQ.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back