Official Sony WF-1000XM3 Thread - Noise Cancelling True Wireless Earphones
Aug 5, 2019 at 1:14 PM Post #107 of 1,494
My SpinFit CP360 arrived today. The core barely fits over the nozzle, but it does fit. It's very snug, so there shouldn't be any problem with these coming loose. I've only been listening a few minutes, but the sibilance is already bothering me a bit. I think it's worse with DSEE HX turned on. I couldn't tell much of a difference turning DSEE HX on and off with the Comply TrueGrip Pro. The SpinFit CP360 fit just fine in the case.
1.jpg 3.jpg

I mowed the lawn yesterday with the WF-1000XM3 with the Comply TrueGrip Pro trips. The ANC made a slight improvement over the isolation experienced mowing with the Redmi AirDots (also used with the Comply TrueGrip Pro). But I'm not sure if paying 8 times the cost of the Redmi AirDots for 15% better sound isolation is worth it. I still have two days to decide if I want to return these or keep them.

Aug 5, 2019 at 1:18 PM Post #108 of 1,494
My SpinFit CP360 arrived today. The core barely fits over the nozzle, but it does fit. It's very snug, so there shouldn't be any problem with these coming loose. I've only been listening a few minutes, but the sibilance is already bothering me a bit. I think it's worse with DSEE HX turned on. I couldn't tell much of a difference turning DSEE HX on and off with the Comply TrueGrip Pro. The SpinFit CP360 fit just fine in the case.

I mowed the lawn yesterday with the WF-1000XM3 with the Comply TrueGrip Pro trips. The ANC made a slight improvement over the isolation experienced mowing with the Redmi AirDots (also used with the Comply TrueGrip Pro). But I'm not sure if paying 8 times the cost of the Redmi AirDots for 15% better sound isolation is worth it. I still have two days to decide if I want to return these or keep them.
Bose QC20, although not wireless, had much better ANC comparable to the full-sized Bose or XM3.

WFXM3 don't make the cut for me, Nd returned it. Will be anticipating Bose's TW ANC. I hope the call microphone ambient noise filtering is as good as Bose NC 700, which is phenomenal! Sony microphone performance is mediocre.

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2019 at 5:40 PM Post #109 of 1,494
In my opinion, if you want proper ANC, go the headphone route. I use my WH-1000XM3 on plane trips. We are not there yet where wireless earphones are as good as headphones. Maybe in a few years. The ANC on the WF-1000XM3 is good enough for most day to day outings from my usage and a great bonus if you’re not buying them for that.

Look, end of the day, we all have different individual needs and different ears so what works for one person might not work for the other. I think generally speaking these are a pretty darn good option in the current marketplace, especially if you pay less than retail.

Aug 5, 2019 at 8:59 PM Post #110 of 1,494
In my opinion, if you want proper ANC, go the headphone route. I use my WH-1000XM3 on plane trips. We are not there yet where wireless earphones are as good as headphones.

Mine arrived today however I will not have the chance to try them out on an airplane for quite a while.
My current cans for airline travel are B&O H9i - whose ANC capabilities are no where near what the full size Sony cans can do.
I am curious how these WF Sony's compare to my B&O's - and not how they compare to the Sony WH which are industry leading.

Did you compare these new Sony earbuds for ANC on an airplane - or are you just speculating on their performance compared to your Sony WH full size cans?

Aug 5, 2019 at 10:06 PM Post #111 of 1,494
Bose QC20, although not wireless, had much better ANC comparable to the full-sized Bose or XM3.

WFXM3 don't make the cut for me, Nd returned it. Will be anticipating Bose's TW ANC. I hope the call microphone ambient noise filtering is as good as Bose NC 700, which is phenomenal! Sony microphone performance is mediocre.
Good point on the QC20. It has excellent ANC and proof that earphones can excel at this. I also just received the XM3 but don’t have a plane trip lined up for a couple of weeks. I’m a big fan on the WH especially the latest iteration. I just need to these to be adequate so I can take them on the plane when I do day trips and travel with just what’s in my pockets.

Aug 5, 2019 at 11:38 PM Post #112 of 1,494
So let me get this right, if these are not good enough for a plane ride, they suck? Well, I just got mine and comparing them to my full size Sonys, the ANC is not as good, but I wasn’t expecting it to be. Having said that, they are more than good enough for my daily subway commute. They probably won’t fit everyone’s needs, but I’m thoroughly impressed with what these do at their price, with their convenience, sound quality and features. The app lets you tweak them to your liking much better than the Sennheiser app and works exactly as it does on the full size Sonys. What’s great is each headphone seems to store their version of settings for the app, so no need to change anything when switching between them.

Aug 6, 2019 at 2:38 AM Post #113 of 1,494
I do a bit of travelling and if you need to use something with anc on a plane, use a headphone. I’ve used the WF-1000xm3 recently for a flight to Asia and they’re fine on board - just not as good as the WH.

Aug 6, 2019 at 10:33 AM Post #115 of 1,494
....but the convenience of throwing something in your bag and get about 90% of the noise isolation is VERY VERY attractive.

^ This. I have very little space when I travel. Don't wanna carry around full-size headphones.

But I still struggle with the fact that you could essentially just slap on foam tips on any earphone and get about the same result (maybe even better in terms of higher freq, as good passive isolation blocks those too). Hmm

Aug 6, 2019 at 10:50 AM Post #116 of 1,494
I do a bit of travelling and if you need to use something with anc on a plane, use a headphone. I’ve used the WF-1000xm3 recently for a flight to Asia and they’re fine on board - just not as good as the WH.
I like small things and was interested in the WFXM3 due to the small size and the ANC. I would prefer to carry a tiny device that does ANC that is on par with the full-sized top ANC counterparts.

I also prefer wired currently, and although QC20 is wired, there is a big bulky battery portion that weighs down the cable, being awkward to carry around. If their TW ANC does achieve the same top performance as the QC20, it will convice me to go wireless.

Wired has benefit of being able to connect easily to the inflight entertainment.

Bose had announced their ANC TW will be model NC 700, and the 700 will be their noise cancelling model. It was announced to be out in 2020 unfortunately. Hopefully, theirs will be ipx rated as well. Which gives it a more convincing reason for gym usage practicality, and not worry too much in rainy weather.

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2019 at 10:58 AM Post #117 of 1,494
Bose had announced their ANC TW will be model NC 700, and the 700 will be their noise cancelling model. It was announced to be out in 2020 unfortunately. Hopefully, theirs will be ipx rated as well. Which gives it a more convincing reason for gym usage practicality, and not worry too much in rainy weather.

And appropriately sized! Their current true wireless are comically large. I just can't do it.

Aug 6, 2019 at 11:13 AM Post #118 of 1,494
I like small things and was interested in the WFXM3 due to the small size and the ANC. I would prefer to carry a tiny device that does ANC that is on par with the full-sized top ANC counterparts.

I also prefer wired currently, and although QC20 is wired, there is a big bulky battery portion that weighs down the cable, being awkward to carry around. If their TW ANC does achieve the same top performance as the QC20, it will convice me to go wireless.

Wired has benefit of being able to connect easily to the inflight entertainment.

I understand the need to have something small when travelling which is one of the reasons I bought the WF model, hoping to take them instead of the WH. But I just think the current options out there are not going to give you that full sized headphone anc experience. If you are happy with 85-90% of the WH model then WF-1000XM3 are decent. I thought it was acceptable for flight use and will be using them for future flights instead of the WH.

Interested to hear the Bose option when they come out next year, but for now extremely happy with the Sonys.

Have used the Sonys at the gym several times too and just like the previous model WF-1000X, they work fine and haven't had any issues with sweat so far (fingers crossed). Do need to adjust maybe once during the workout when doing something like box jumps when the impact might dislodge the fit slightly but for all other movements I've not had an issue. I do prefer something like the powerbeats pro with the earhook, I find that design to be better for the gym personally.

Aug 6, 2019 at 1:08 PM Post #119 of 1,494
^ This. I have very little space when I travel. Don't wanna carry around full-size headphones.

But I still struggle with the fact that you could essentially just slap on foam tips on any earphone and get about the same result (maybe even better in terms of higher freq, as good passive isolation blocks those too). Hmm

Now imagine adding foam tips (like the ones from Comply) and now you have a wonderful balance of Active and Passive NC. It's just great for a package the size of my palm.

Aug 6, 2019 at 2:15 PM Post #120 of 1,494
I was about to buy the "Sennheiser MOMENTUM True Wireless" earphones but then when i read the battery draining issues.. i resisted. Today I came to know about this earphones.
So sound wise is the Senn better? I dont mind waiting for Senn to fix the battery drain issue.. but if this earphone is as better I will get this. Please suggest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back