Official Sony WF-1000XM3 Thread - Noise Cancelling True Wireless Earphones
Jul 25, 2019 at 9:17 AM Post #31 of 1,494
Call quality to me is where they score lowest. I've been told by people I talk to that I sound muffled or distant especially if the background is noisy, I would have to speak up or they sometimes would not be able to hear me. On my end the other party sounds acceptable. So in this regard, they are nowhere near as good as the Airpods and slightly worse than the WH-1000XM3.

There is no locator function. Haven't tried other ear tips so I don't know if they are compatible with aftermarket items.
A trick I found is to use one earbud as a mic. This way the call quality would be no different from a normal phone call.

Jul 25, 2019 at 10:36 AM Post #33 of 1,494
Did you get any chance to compare those to the Audio Technica CKR7TW?
I've been thinking of getting the ATH ones, purely on trust for ATH since I haven't had the chance to try them, but I've always loved the sound of my ATH headphones (ATH-AD700. 900) and inears (IM-02 / IM-04).
The ANC tho is quite tempting.

Jul 25, 2019 at 11:10 AM Post #34 of 1,494
As I’ve sold the E8 and have not used them this year I can’t really comment directly. I did prefer the E8 sound to Havit G1 and Earin M2 but could not live with the frequent left unit cut outs and the M2 was fairly close in sq.
I know you had frequent left unit cut outs on the E8, you're one of the reasons I was not buying them. :)
But I ran in to a promotion for the E8 2.0 Motion 2 weeks ago and bought them quite cheap with possibility of return within 1 month.. I have zero left ear cut outs so far and I'm really happy with how are they performing.
I also almost bought the M2, really nice TW.. but that day I bought a cable instead, long story. :D

Anyhow, I'm really interested in these new Sony, they tick quite a few boxes for me so I'll try them as soon as I can.

Jul 25, 2019 at 11:30 AM Post #35 of 1,494
Mine have now been shipped by eGlobal so I should have them mid/end next week

Jul 26, 2019 at 1:34 PM Post #36 of 1,494
Latency, Mic and speaker ANC tests. I guess separate earpiece connection doesn't mean low latency. It was only done for AAC codec, but I'm curious how it is for other codecs? His test was on a game. Subway and public ANC test is pretty interesting.

Jul 29, 2019 at 10:28 AM Post #37 of 1,494
I wouldn't be too worried though. Only Qualcomm Bluetooth chips will get to use the AptX-series protocols. Sony's proprietary Bluetooth chipset is much like the H1 chip in Apple's Airpods - connects absurdly quick with extremely stable connection. While we might never know the actual transmission bitrate, the WF-1000XM3 sounds better than all my prior TWS with AptX and AptX LL.

The BT chip in the WF1000XM3 is not Sony proprietary - Sony had stated they co-developed it with a yet unnamed BT chip maker and they do not own exclusive rights to it.

Also AAC is a more complex codec than apt-X and has many parameters to tweak its acoustic compression algorithum, and as Apple develops their own AAC encoder/decoder the iOS AAC encoder is said to be one of the best and most compotently tuned AAC codec out there. In terms of technical specification AAC is actually superior to apt-X, but sadly AAC support on Android phones is supbar because of the simplicity of apt-X, which wins in wide spread adoption because Qualcomm bundles apt-X license and provides implementation guide with every chip they sell making apt-X available nearly everywhere especially on Android phones as majority of Android phones uses Qualcomm chips. Having apt-X in the WF1000XM3 would most certainly mean it won't support the non-master/slave connection scheme on an iOS device - and that would be a much bigger lost than the lack of apt-x for Sony since you know these are aimed at Airpods which supposedly has more than 50% of the True Wireless earbuds market, plus Qualcomm's own non-master/slave BT solution is currently limited to their latest SnapDragon 845 chipset and won't trickle down anytime soon. Choosing a Qualcomm chipset for a True Wireless earbud for the apt-X codec support would have crippled these earbuds IMNSHO and would just be yet another forgettable True Wireless earbuds amongst a sea of these products which all suffer from many minor issues that prevents them from being truly user friendly and sleek like Airpods are.

Instead of laminating over the lack of apt-X, I reckon Sony should be congratulated for co-developing a non-master/slave BT chip earphone solution that works for both iOS and Android and doesn't lock you in into either ecosystem and is actually much more consumer friendly. I hope they actually get reward for this.

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2019 at 8:18 AM Post #38 of 1,494
I got mine from Eglobal Central last week and I’m very impressed with them. Yesterday, however I had a weird problem that so far, thankfully, I haven’t been able to reproduce.

I was listening to a song and suddenly the right earbud cut out completely. Then, four or five times after that as I started a new song it started playing in the left earbud only and then the right ear bud joined in a few seconds later. When I got home I factory reset them and I’ve been playing them today with no problems.

It did not seem like this problem was the same as what used to happen with the original model, where external interference would cause dropouts. Rather, it seemed it was the earbuds themselves getting in a muddle about which channel should be playing.

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2019 at 8:24 AM Post #39 of 1,494
I ordered from eGlobal 10 days ago and they promiss 24 hour processing and 6-7 days delivery but so far nothing. Their tracking is a joke, no reference to where the parcel is supposed to be or what courrier is handling it and no response to e-mails. I’m suspecting that this company is a scammer and that they are just randomly generating fake tracking and no actual parcel has been sent. Have raised a fraud claim with my credit card company.

9CD37006-DA5E-47D7-922F-E0951C4BB7E4.png

Jul 31, 2019 at 8:30 AM Post #40 of 1,494
I ordered from eGlobal 10 days ago and they promiss 24 hour processing and 6-7 days delivery but so far nothing. Their tracking is a joke, no reference to where the parcel is supposed to be or what courrier is handling it and no response to e-mails. I’m suspecting that this company is a scammer and that they are just randomly generating fake tracking and no actual parcel has been sent. Have raised a fraud claim with my credit card company.

Definitely not a scam, as I received mine. However, completely agree with the tracking, it's a farce. When I received mine, it looked like it was sent from inland, so I assume they send it to someone/a local company that then repackages it for local delivery? Not sure. But after I ordered I did some googling and they have a bit of a bad rep for slow deliveries, so I would say wait it out a few more days.

Fyi - mine took 6 total days (9 from ordering) from dispatch to get to me in London UK.

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2019 at 10:34 AM Post #42 of 1,494
Just picked mine up last night and I'm really digging these! Really clean sounding with some decent soundstage(for a full wireless) and pretty good bass! No weird disconnecting like the last model and they feel super comfy! The only strange things I noticed (Iphone x user running ios 13 beta) is that anytime you switch apps and come back to the sony connect app you have to manually tap connect button to change any settings. Every time I pull the xm3 out of their charging case and put them in my ears it turns on with anc in full noise cancelling mode, which so far I've been manually turning off or running them with the anc set for full outside noises to pass through. So It's either not saving the settings or its cause I'm on the ios 13 public beta and the app and OS hate each other. Not end of the world just slightly annoying if you're in a rush. I liked the way these sound over my buddies sennhieser wireless. Only cause the option for anc is there. Sound damn close to each other though. Ill be going on a flight here in the next week so hopefully the noise cancelling works well.

Jul 31, 2019 at 10:38 AM Post #43 of 1,494
Just picked mine up last night and I'm really digging these! Really clean sounding with some decent soundstage(for a full wireless) and pretty good bass! No weird disconnecting like the last model and they feel super comfy! The only strange things I noticed (Iphone x user running ios 13 beta) is that anytime you switch apps and come back to the sony connect app you have to manually tap connect button to change any settings. Every time I pull the xm3 out of their charging case and put them in my ears it turns on with anc in full noise cancelling mode, which so far I've been manually turning off or running them with the anc set for full outside noises to pass through. So It's either not saving the settings or its cause I'm on the ios 13 public beta and the app and OS hate each other. Not end of the world just slightly annoying if you're in a rush. I liked the way these sound over my buddies sennhieser wireless. Only cause the option for anc is there. Sound damn close to each other though. Ill be going on a flight here in the next week so hopefully the noise cancelling works well.

Sweet, thanks for the impressions. I'm coming from the Senn MTW (past owner of original WF-1000X). Been hearing so many good things about the XM3, excited. Glad to hear they're arriving stateside. Keep hearing that Best Buy is getting them in stock. I ordered thru Focus Camera. Will give my impressions when I get them.

Sad to hear that the ANC On/Off setting still doesn't stick. This was a pet-peeve of mine with the original pair. I often used them with ANC off and had to toggle it each time I took them out of the case. Not a deal breaker whatsoever. Just minor annoyance that could easily be fixed that Sony won't.

Keep the impressions coming!

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2019 at 11:33 AM Post #44 of 1,494
I got mine yesterday after pre-ordering from Best Buy. Does anyone have any suggestions for foam tips? The tips that Sony included didn't work at all for me. They kept coming loose, and I even had one of the earbuds fall out of my ear while wearing them. I had some Comply TrueGrip Pro tips around, so I tried them. Although they were comfortable and provided good isolation, one of the ear tips stayed in my ear when I removed the earbud, and I had to use a toothpick to remove it from my ear canal. Is there a different foam tip that would work better with these? I'm also wondering if I could have failed to push the firmer core of the Comply tip over the raised ridge in the middle of the nozzle, so it could be my fault, but now I'm a little afraid to put these back in my ears. I also tried some other cheap foam tips I had sitting around, but I couldn't close the case with the tips on. (Why don't any true wireless manufacturers leave any extra room in their cases for larger tips? This case is already huge, what's another couple of millimeters to allow for users to choose a different kind of tip?) I've been thinking of trying the SpinFit CP360, but I don't know if those will provide the same isolation as foam.

Jul 31, 2019 at 12:00 PM Post #45 of 1,494
I got mine yesterday after pre-ordering from Best Buy. Does anyone have any suggestions for foam tips? The tips that Sony included didn't work at all for me. They kept coming loose, and I even had one of the earbuds fall out of my ear while wearing them. I had some Comply TrueGrip Pro tips around, so I tried them. Although they were comfortable and provided good isolation, one of the ear tips stayed in my ear when I removed the earbud, and I had to use a toothpick to remove it from my ear canal. Is there a different foam tip that would work better with these? I'm also wondering if I could have failed to push the firmer core of the Comply tip over the raised ridge in the middle of the nozzle, so it could be my fault, but now I'm a little afraid to put these back in my ears. I also tried some other cheap foam tips I had sitting around, but I couldn't close the case with the tips on. (Why don't any true wireless manufacturers leave any extra room in their cases for larger tips? This case is already huge, what's another couple of millimeters to allow for users to choose a different kind of tip?) I've been thinking of trying the SpinFit CP360, but I don't know if those will provide the same isolation as foam.

The dekoni bulletz in a medium size stayed in my ears just fine. I lost some of the slam from the bass so I'm using the stock large silicon tip the sony came with. I'll attempt to stuff them in the case with the foams on to see if it closes if you'd like. I don't remember if I tried closing it or not last night when I was trying different tips.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back