Official Sony WF-1000XM3 Thread - Noise Cancelling True Wireless Earphones
Jul 22, 2019 at 11:40 AM Post #17 of 1,494
i want to try those earphones with my lap top but the build in Bluetooth is crap, it sounds very bad on my Bluetooth speakers, i was wondering - can i buy a usb Bluetooth adapter for my lap top and connect it to the Sony earphones?

Jul 22, 2019 at 1:22 PM Post #18 of 1,494
Just got my pair in from eGlobal for 170GBP delivered and a few weeks before UK release. Was a huge fan of Sony's first iteration of this earphones, the WF-1000X, and kept having dropout issues with those so was very much looking forward to these! I've tried almost all the usual suspects in the game and for me this is the best sounding pair hands down. I literally couldn't take them off since giving them a first try, very engaging sound with a great soundstage, the latter of which is much better than the predecessor. So far, it's tackled everything I've thrown at it with ease, can't seem to find anything that sounds bad on them. Will continue to test them out to report back on other issues but so far, first impressions are really good!

EDIT: Also the fit is much better than I expected as they looked bigger in photos than the 1000X. They don't stick out like I thought they would.

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2019 at 1:26 PM Post #19 of 1,494
i want to try those earphones with my lap top but the build in Bluetooth is crap, it sounds very bad on my Bluetooth speakers, i was wondering - can i buy a usb Bluetooth adapter for my lap top and connect it to the Sony earphones?
Curious what devices besides Qualcomm's newer processors on smartphones is able to do connect to two drivers simultaneously without master and slave modes.

Is there a bluetooth interface for PCs that will do this?

Jul 22, 2019 at 1:42 PM Post #20 of 1,494
Just got my pair in from eGlobal for 170GBP delivered and a few weeks before UK release. Was a huge fan of Sony's first iteration of this earphones, the WF-1000X, and kept having dropout issues with those so was very much looking forward to these! I've tried almost all the usual suspects in the game and for me this is the best sounding pair hands down. I literally couldn't take them off since giving them a first try, very engaging sound with a great soundstage, the latter of which is much better than the predecessor. So far, it's tackled everything I've thrown at it with ease, can't seem to find anything that sounds bad on them. Will continue to test them out to report back on other issues but so far, first impressions are really good!

EDIT: Also the fit is much better than I expected as they looked bigger in photos than the 1000X. They don't stick out like I thought they would.

Just ordered mine from eGlobal

Jul 22, 2019 at 7:05 PM Post #21 of 1,494
Shame they don't have APTX LL at least... Sure it misses some other features, but overall APTX LL is the thing I'd prob miss most. Would love to have these for almost every task, no matter if its music, movies or gaming.

Jul 22, 2019 at 8:08 PM Post #22 of 1,494
64148362-8972-4063-A962-27B000BD5422.jpeg
Just got my pair in from eGlobal...

Couldn’t help it. I see deadphones.

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2019 at 11:31 PM Post #23 of 1,494
Shame they don't have APTX LL at least... Sure it misses some other features, but overall APTX LL is the thing I'd prob miss most. Would love to have these for almost every task, no matter if its music, movies or gaming.

I wouldn't be too worried though. Only Qualcomm Bluetooth chips will get to use the AptX-series protocols. Sony's proprietary Bluetooth chipset is much like the H1 chip in Apple's Airpods - connects absurdly quick with extremely stable connection. While we might never know the actual transmission bitrate, the WF-1000XM3 sounds better than all my prior TWS with AptX and AptX LL.

Jul 23, 2019 at 2:09 AM Post #24 of 1,494
I wouldn't be too worried though. Only Qualcomm Bluetooth chips will get to use the AptX-series protocols. Sony's proprietary Bluetooth chipset is much like the H1 chip in Apple's Airpods - connects absurdly quick with extremely stable connection. While we might never know the actual transmission bitrate, the WF-1000XM3 sounds better than all my prior TWS with AptX and AptX LL.

Pretty much what I have found with all the ones I've tried. Have an android phone for work and that has aptx hd on it and when I tested it with other pairs, I still thought the original WF-1000x sounded better on an iPhone without aptX/HD. This is something you need to try out with your own ears and judge for yourself really in my opinion.

Jul 24, 2019 at 8:54 PM Post #25 of 1,494
Thank you for impressions. I am very much looking forward to giving these a try. It’s so unfortunate that in the true-wireless-IEM arena, there isn’t anything that “does it all” and it’s all about compromises.

I was quite happy with my Sennheiser IE80 and Audeze iSine 20 paired with my iPhone 6s Plus until I upgraded to a newer iPhone that lacked a headphone jack. I still really hate that they did that.

The first BT headphone I bought was the Sony WH-1000XM3. The sound was decent once I played with the equalizer, but nothing to write home about. However, the ANC was shockingly good. But these, being a full sized headphone, was too big for everyday use. These really only get used on an airplane. My overall impressions were positive and relieved some of my hesitation t enter into the BT audio market.

What I really wanted was a set of BT true wireless IEMs. I saw that the Jabra Elite 65t was on sale at Best Buy so I bought them. I really loved how convenient these were. I could connect my iPad and IPhone at the same time and it would just play whichever one I was using! No more messing with pairing whenever I wanted to use the other device. Call quality was okay. Controls were decent. Some sort of IPX rating. But one thing really bugged me. The sound quality wasn’t good. It was hard to listen to music with these as the treble seemed to hurt my ears.

Based on all of my past preferences for headphones, I seemed to gravitate towards Sennheiser’s sound signature. I have the IE80, CX300, HD555, HD650x, and HD800 - all of which I am super happy with. If the Jabra’s had similar sound to the relatively cheap CX300, I would be more than happy. My quest for better sound led me to the Sennheiser MTW.

That was a total bust. The sound was good. While not super high end sound, they performed well enough that I didn’t feel like much was missing from my favourite tracks. BUT there was one very fatal flaw - the battery would die after a week of not using them. There was a firmware “fix” but it eliminates the convenience of having true wireless in the first place.

I heard about the Sony WF-1000XM3 a few days ago and became obsessed. Perhaps these were the IEMs that I was looking for. Plus they have the same ANC tech from my beloved big XM3s!

I found some reviews in YouTube and asked as many questions as I could think of. I found out that it was possible to leave these on with ANC running without music playing. That means that I could use these as ANC earplugs! From what I’ve read, the sound quality is good. Call quality is okay. Battery life is excellent. No IPX rating though. And no multi point simultaneous bluetooth connection. Hmm.

For those that have tried these, how do they sonically compare to other IEMs? (True wireless or wired). I heard lots of great things about the Jabra 65t but I found that I couldn’t stand the sound quality.

How stable has the connection been?

How well does ambient sound pass through work? Does it sound natural, muffled, or does it amplify your surroundings?

Is there a locator function in the even they become misplaced? (ie can you get it to emit a loud beep or will they show up via GPS if they are lost?)

Do the ear tips use a standard/common size?

Sorry about the wall of text. I’m having. A sleepless night so......

Really appreciate your comments on the current situation of TWS and a lot of it reflects my current opinions as well! Many TWS indeed have put me away simply because they do not sound good. And to me its convenience hardly justifies their bad sound, cause in most cases, i'd rather no music than bad sounding music. However, rest assured, the sony WF-1000XM3 does sound good and I've been using them consistently. I think I prefer the Sennheiser MTW in terms of sound but ever so slightly. The Sony's provide other features that makes it simply a more compelling product. Their range and battery life are also excellent. But yes sadly no multi point Bluetooth connection, which makes it less convenient.

Connection has been stable, barely any issues for me. For the ambient sound passthrough, do you mean the placing your finger on the left earbud so that you can hear your surroundings? In that case it sounds naturally to me and you can clearly hear your surroundings, very effective. I like to use it to hear which stop im on whilst in the train haha. There does not seem to be a locator function. and eartips size are pretty standard, ive been able to use a range of tips on them including spinfits.

Jul 25, 2019 at 5:14 AM Post #26 of 1,494
Haha certainly the lack of LDAC and Aptx is noticed by audiophiles. I did ask why there was no support for these features during the technical interview session (which I will upload soon).

They mentioned that they used a new Bluetooth chip from a different partner (not Qualcomm) and thus does not support the Aptx. Additionally, their response for dropping the LDAC support was that they were trying to find a compromise between sound quality and battery life, and I guess they felt that the improvement in sound quality was not worth the decreased battery life. While they said they cannot comment on future products, they mentioned that they were testing LDAC on true wireless products, so let's remain hopeful!

As a non audiophile, especially one who appreciates good sound, I figured it was as you say, different chip (honestly, couldn't care less about AptX though agree when implemented well, it works though for SQ, I still prefer LDAC) as well as Sony wanting battery life so I presume this is a consumer test on Sony's part to see how far they can take sound quality without LDAC.
Though saying that, LDAC was avaialble on the WF 1000XM1, were they not?

I am always hopeful though when the original WF 1000X came out, I didn't try that either as the battery life made me really sad but that's a whole other story & conversation.

Anyway, be interested to hear more when you can reveal it about any Sony TW products in future.

Hope you have a great day !

Jul 25, 2019 at 5:30 AM Post #27 of 1,494
Been using this daily since it was launched here in Singapore on July 13th. Thought I'd chime in after reading Bloodstriker's post.

Aside from this, I currently own the current Airpods, Jabra Elite Sport, and Sony WH-1000XM3. I've also had limited experience with some other TW like Jabra Elite 65t. For wired earphones I've owned Shure SE846 and SE535 before that which I found to be rather revealing but clinical. Never tried Sennheisers.

Connection has been stable, I haven't had any dropouts so far. Latency is low enough to watch YouTube. I have them paired to my macbook and iphone. No simultaneous connections though.

I've found them to be comfortable and snug fitting. Haven't tried going for a run but for daily commute it holds up well enough that I don't have to adjust them. Battery life has been stellar, unless you turn on DSEE-HX & ANC then it drops to 3hrs or so. DSEE-HX brings abit more presence and slightly fuller bass but to me it's subtle and I've decided it's not worth the sacrifice in play time.

I use an iphone so not having APT-X is not an issue for me. I find them slightly warm sounding. Lots of mids and rolled off at the very top and bottom. They aren't bright or ear piercing. They're also not WH-1000XM3 bass heavy.

ANC is good. Not stellar like the WH-1000XM3, but more than adequate. I sometimes leave 1 earbud on without playing music. Ambient sound levels can be adjusted and there's adaptive mode as well. With ambient sound maxed out (20), they sound natural to me so long as you don't activate "focus on voice"

Call quality to me is where they score lowest. I've been told by people I talk to that I sound muffled or distant especially if the background is noisy, I would have to speak up or they sometimes would not be able to hear me. On my end the other party sounds acceptable. So in this regard, they are nowhere near as good as the Airpods and slightly worse than the WH-1000XM3.

There is no locator function. Haven't tried other ear tips so I don't know if they are compatible with aftermarket items.

Jul 25, 2019 at 6:46 AM Post #28 of 1,494
Just got the WF-1000XM3 today, SQ is great for a TWS. I don't find them warm or bright, in fact they are quite neutral. And this is coming from a previous owner of the HD800S and a warmer sounding CIEM A12.
The charging case however feels and looks cheap though lol

Jul 25, 2019 at 8:40 AM Post #30 of 1,494
Looking forward to your comparison Beoplay E8 (your ex :) ) vs Sony WF-1000XM3.

As I’ve sold the E8 and have not used them this year I can’t really comment directly. I did prefer the E8 sound to Havit G1 and Earin M2 but could not live with the frequent left unit cut outs and the M2 was fairly close in sq.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back